Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-08-2018, 01:30 AM   #11
guymc

Default Re: Welcome Guy McLimore, Fantasy Trip Line Editor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
And, let us never forget the *other* great Guy McLimore adventure: Ghosts of Conscience, from his FASA Star Trek: the role-playing game - hands down the single best adventure, I have ever played in my life - which was better composed than most of the entire 3rd season of Star Trek; to boot!
JK
Well, now you’re hitting me where I live. As it happens, “Ghosts of Conscience” is my favorite of everything I’ve ever written.

Since it saw print only as an adventure booklet included with the First Edition Deluxe box set of ST:RPG, it was not seen by many people, but I’ve always believed that it was the one time I was closest to capturing the best of what Star Trek was. The denouement of that adventure, when a player group really got into it, was incredibly satisfying for me as a gamemaster.

Thanks for that memory and your kind words about it.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:03 AM   #12
ak_aramis

Guy, please re-secure your rights and let SJG use them...

Grail Quest is, hands down, my favorite solo adventure ever.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 02:49 AM   #13
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymc View Post
Well, now you’re hitting me where I live. As it happens, “Ghosts of Conscience” is my favorite of everything I’ve ever written... I’ve always believed that it was the one time I was closest to capturing the best of what Star Trek was. The denouement of that adventure, when a player group really got into it, was incredibly satisfying for me as a gamemaster.

Thanks for that memory and your kind words about it.
You are more than welcome Guy, but as a great admirer of yours, you *earned* those kudos through your talent and obvious caring about what you sign your name to.

I have total faith and trust in you Guy, and that - just as you did for Star Trek - you will correctly capture, protect, and preserve, the unique and special color, feel, flavor, and tone which was imbued into TFT:ITL back in 1980; and not let it become something it never was intended to be.

For those not intimately familiar with Guy's work beyond GrailQuest, I want to point-out *why* I feel the future of TFT should be safe in his hands.

Any of you who have read my past posts, probably long-ago surmised I know even more about classic Star Trek than I do about TFT; and I can personally assure each and every one of you that capturing the *correct feel and spirit* of that universe - and properly translating it into game-terms - was no mean feat, as the Star Trek format is too easy to blow in lesser hands, and end-up with another "space shoot-em up" - which Star Trek is not.

Just like TFT, Star Trek - according to Roddenberry's *cultural* vision and world-view - is even more delicate the one expressed in TFT; and Guy captured and preserved that beyond belief.

On Guy's work on the Star Trek game, he faced (and correctly answered) many of the same problems of campaign-game balance that will always have to be answered for TFT; such as on the question of: Magical Healing - a big issue we have all debated here - as this manifested in the Star Trek game as the question of: Medical Drugs (Dr McCoy's magic hypo).

The key TFT parallel here is: Magical Healing; where a wizard would be functionally reduced to a mobile first-aid station; existing solely as a support element to serve the main characters. Well in Star Trek, drugs and what role the good doctor serves in an adventure had to go beyond mobile first-aid station... it's the same problem.

Furthermore, while we as TFT'ers have no issues with engaging in mayhem at the drop of a hat, but in Star Trek, no, you cannot do this and be playing members of the Federation, and simply zap every problem in sight.

These key issues, *IF* they had been answered incorrectly by Guy in his design, would have blown the entire spirit of 1966 Star Trek right out of the water, and turned the game into a "Klingon shoot-em up, by chemically-enhanced space-soldiers."

*That* is why I know that Guy is the only proper choice to be entrusted with the mantle of responsibility regarding governance over the future of TFT.

If Guy could capture and preserve the 1966 Star Trek world - which he did - he certainly can protect our TFT from the wrong influences, and not allow it to morph into something else.

Beyond talent, it comes down to a question of character and trust. And Guy earned my trust many, many years ago.

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 07-08-2018 at 10:26 PM. Reason: typo
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:35 PM   #14
guymc

Now see what you've done?

I have to buy a new helmet. The old one no longer fits over my head!
Old 07-09-2018, 04:50 PM   #15
BobP

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymc View Post
(chuckle) No matter what else I have done since, I have always been “the Grail Quest guy”. I love it. To be remembered for so long for my earliest work is a measure of how much influence TFT has exerted, and how fondly people still think of it. Thanks!
I'm totally chuffed that you've got invited back into this party. Congrats, pal.
BobP is offline   Reply With Quote