Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 08-21-2020, 06:20 PM   #1
WhiteLily

Default Stone Missle

As far as I can tell, a character with Magery 0 can learn Stone Missle because it does not require a higher level of Magery. However, the spell says you can channel power into its casting equal to your Magery score.

So one could learn it and not cast it?

Also, this spell is a bit reminiscent of Flame Jet, but Flame Jet seems to allow you to pick an amount of energy between 1-3 which does not depend on the caster Magery score.
WhiteLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:42 PM   #2
zoncxs

Default Re: Stone Missle

You are wrong, in order to learn stone missile you need the following:

Magery 1
Seek Earth Spell
Shape Earth Spell
Earth to Stone Spell
Stone Missile Spell

It is not like Flame jet, That is a regular spell that works like a jet, see page 12 of the Spells pdf.

Also check page 13 for how missile spells work.

As far as I know, all missile spells either require magery 1 OR has a prerequisite spell that requires magery 1.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 12:44 PM   #3
Dalin

To elaborate slightly on zoncxs's answer, wizardly prerequisites often lead to chains of spells. In order to know Stone Missile, you need Create Earth. In order to know Create Earth (p. 27), you need Earth to Stone. That, in turn, requires Magery 1 and Shape Earth, which then requires Seek Earth. Thus all of those are part of the prerequisite chain for Stone Missile.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:30 AM   #4
ArchonShiva

Concussion, aside from being by far the best missile spell, can be learned with Magery 0.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:03 PM   #5
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
Concussion, aside from being by far the best missile spell, can be learned with Magery 0.
Good catch! So would that mean that a Magery 0 caster could learn the spell but couldn't cast it?

Another option might be to allow a minimum of 1 point per turn, which means that it would take 2 turns for a Magery 0 caster to get a 1d Concussion missile.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:06 PM   #6
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

There's an override in the general rules for Missile spells. To quote Missile Spells (Spells, p. 13): "Success lets you invest one or more energy points in the spell, usually to a maximum of a number of points equal to your level of spellcasting talent (treat no talent or level 0 as level 1)."
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:32 PM   #7
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
There's an override in the general rules for Missile spells. To quote Missile Spells (Spells, p. 13): "Success lets you invest one or more energy points in the spell, usually to a maximum of a number of points equal to your level of spellcasting talent (treat no talent or level 0 as level 1)."

Ah, that clarification is in the newer printing. I've just downloaded the updated PDFs to make sure I referencing the updated text in the future. Thank you!
Old 08-25-2020, 03:10 PM   #8
Black Leviathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I was going to ask how that works if you have Magery 0 and you're casting the spell through a magic item that only requires Magery 0. Thanks for that.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stone missle