Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-06-2018, 06:03 PM   #1
ecz

Default damage for armor and shields

weapons can break rolling a 18 on a melee/ranged attack, so RAW considers this event.

Instead nothing exists in the rules for armor and shields unless you use the *optional rules* coming with ADM that requires a lot of bookeeping. Per basic rules armor and shields could be used for years, protect hundreds of hits and still work like day one.

So I introduced a simple and abstract rule .
After any combat is over (GM decides when a combat is actually over) the Characters roll a die for any chain/plate/shield actively used. GM decides when an armor/shield is *actively used*, but it should be when the owner take advantage of the protection of the item and still any damage is delivered. If he rolls a 6 then the item is *damaged*. Cloths and leather cannot be damaged for use in combat.

A *damaged* armor or shield still work properly stopping hits and costing DX as normal. If a damaged armor or shield is damaged again in a subsequent combat before it is repaired, then it breaks permanently and becomes useless and not repairable.

Damaged armor and shields can be repaired by an armourer at 1/5 of the orginal price in a day. Until the item is damaged for the second time, it still works as normal even if damaged.
Fine armor, being less prone to break, is damaged rolling after the combat TWO 6

note also in my CGs I raised a little the armor cost to better reflect (in my opinion) the fact that armor cost is not easily affordable for someone working as clerk or farmer for a few months.
Only soldiers, nobles, mercenaries and very rich people should have easy access to heavy armor, but I understand that many could disagree here.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:58 AM   #2
JLV

Default Re: damage for armor and shields

This isn't a bad idea. We struggled with this in my groups as well -- armor SHOULD deteriorate if it's used long enough, or require periodic repair to fix damaged areas, pound out the dents, and so on.

The optional rules do address the issue, however they require a lot more bookkeeping than is desirable for most players.

I like this idea, because it's simple, effective, and while abstract, does do the job. My only question is: What's the cost to repair "damage?"
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:11 PM   #3
ecz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
This isn't a bad idea. We struggled with this in my groups as well -- armor SHOULD deteriorate if it's used long enough, or require periodic repair to fix damaged areas, pound out the dents, and so on.

The optional rules do address the issue, however they require a lot more bookkeeping than is desirable for most players.

I like this idea, because it's simple, effective, and while abstract, does do the job. My only question is: What's the cost to repair "damage?"
as I said in the post " Damaged armor and shields can be repaired by an armourer at 1/5 of the orginal price in a day"
Old 07-07-2018, 07:00 PM   #4
JLV

Yep. There it is. I had to re-read it four times before I saw that.

For the record, though, I think the cost to repair should be higher. If there are only three "levels" of armor quality -- intact, damaged, or destroyed -- then "damaged" moves you half way to not having any armor at all, and the cost to repair should reflect that.

Last edited by JLV; 07-07-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:09 AM   #5
ecz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Yep. There it is. I had to re-read it four times before I saw that.

For the record, though, I think the cost to repair should be higher. If there are only three "levels" of armor quality -- intact, damaged, or destroyed -- then "damaged" moves you half way to not having any armor at all, and the cost to repair should reflect that.
probably true, but this house rule worked well at the repair cost set at 20%.

Players are motivated to repair ASAP their items given the low cost. That is realistic IMO.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:28 AM   #6
JLV

Well, personally, I was thinking more along the lines of 1/3rd the cost of new armor, so I agree with your basic point here, but just think it should be a bit pricier.

It's also a good way to drain some extra gelt from the players so they don't wind up being gazillionaires from an overgenerous rookie GM... ;-)