Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-06-2010, 10:10 PM   #21
copeab

Default Re: [WWII] Helijager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Hmmm. If they are related in some ways to paratroops, could launch them from a plane and use the heliofly to do a proper controlled crash
Unfolding the rotors might be a problem in free fall ...

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:28 AM   #22
Kale

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
Unfolding the rotors might be a problem in free fall ...
You would have to parachute in conventionally, then use the rotors to ex-filtrate. This wouldn't be all that useful as now you need a plane to jump from. On the other hand, entering the combat zone this way means that the helijager has a full fuel load at the target point, so they could escape a greater distance after their mission. Maybe a rocket glider or the like could deploy them initially.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:20 AM   #23
The Colonel

As mentioned above - send the HJ.
Small, fanatical and likely not to understand the full implications of a one way mission.
Train them with allied weapons and send them into action with garrottes, knives, a pistol and grenades.
The early war fallschirm, after all, dropped with about the same load and had to retrieve their weapons from a container.

... now there's an idea. How about a seperate, slaved Heliofly to carry equipment?
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:30 AM   #24
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale View Post
You would have to parachute in conventionally, then use the rotors to ex-filtrate. This wouldn't be all that useful as now you need a plane to jump from. On the other hand, entering the combat zone this way means that the helijager has a full fuel load at the target point, so they could escape a greater distance after their mission. Maybe a rocket glider or the like could deploy them initially.
A DFS 230 could *probably* carry eight men and eight Helioflys, plus regular equipment (I see space more of an issue than weight, although load might have to dropped to 7 and 7).

I also got a vision of a DFS 230 with the wings removed and and unpowered rotor stuck on top ...

Old 02-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #25
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
As mentioned above - send the HJ.
In 1944-45, certainly. Before that, probably not. I could see the job given to men who don't quite meet the physical requirements for the SS but have the right mentality, though. OTOH, there is a question of who has control of the Helijagers -- I'm leaning to the Luftwaffe.

Quote:
... now there's an idea. How about a seperate, slaved Heliofly to carry equipment?
Not sure if that would work well.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:56 PM   #26
Kale

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
In 1944-45, certainly. Before that, probably not. I could see the job given to men who don't quite meet the physical requirements for the SS but have the right mentality, though. OTOH, there is a question of who has control of the Helijagers -- I'm leaning to the Luftwaffe.
Not sure if that would work well.
The Germans did experiment with radio-guided munitions. In the real world they were never able to roll out anything effective before the end of the war but with a little cinematic hand-waving it could work.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #27
BMR

The FG42 was designed to be a paratrooper rifle. Though it has its special problems, it is easier to carry for the level of firepower it offers. I'd seriously consider it over any submachine gun or pistol with the possible exception of the MP43 or the StG44.

Of course, the FG42 in both types I and II were manufactured to about 7000 units or less, because they weren't ever intended to be a mass-produced device. The whole point was to give the German troopers a rifle-caliber automatic weapon until they could retrieve their MG34 or MG42 loads. Many in the troop did continue to carry pistols or folding stock K98s to the bitter end of the war.

As this is fantasy, your elite helicopter troopers obviously enjoy a high ratio of FG42s or StG44s. Also, consider an "FG43" chambered in 7.92 kurtz and loading the same magazine as the MP43. Thus anticipating the M16/M249 combo of the 1980's.

For helo-troopers, you could concievably have a detachment of guys who just carry heavy weapons in and out of the battlefield, and don't stick around to fight. Or, the heavy weapons are dropped in to be abandoned or retrieved later. The PCs may still need a plane to drop gear for them, or take up valuable backpack choppers with a logistics team, but that's how it goes.

Bored with power cells? Try Paper Cells!

Last edited by BMR; 02-13-2010 at 08:20 PM.
BMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:22 PM   #28
BMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale View Post
The Germans did experiment with radio-guided munitions. In the real world they were never able to roll out anything effective before the end of the war but with a little cinematic hand-waving it could work.
Germany successfully deployed a couple of radio guided anti-ship missiles as early as 1943. The most famous was the Fritz-X. They did have disadvantages, such as the need for an operator following the missile in an aircraft. Also, the signal could be jammed in proximity to the target.

There's nothing wrong with airdropping or using a logistics team. But if you are going to air drop, a radio guided helo might not be a terrible idea.

Bored with power cells? Try Paper Cells!
BMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:15 PM   #29
Kale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR View Post
There's nothing wrong with airdropping or using a logistics team. But if you are going to air drop, a radio guided helo might not be a terrible idea.
Heck, even a radio-guided glider (possibly rocket-boosted). It could be kept small and contain only equipment. It could home in on a radio beacon placed by one of the Jager.

Tags
german, wwii