Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 05-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Infomorphs, shells and sleep

Greetings, all!
  1. Ghost walks around in a bioshell with 12 FP. Ghost does it long enough to lose half of its FP to Lack of Sleep. Ghost switches to a different bioshell with 10 FP. What happens?
  2. Ditto, but Ghost switches to a cybershell, which has FP N/A.
  3. Ghost walks in a bioshell for 16 hours; ghost goes to sleep and lets its NAI (who Doesn't Sleep) take over the shell and walk around some more. In 8 hours, the Ghost wakes up, takes control of the shell, and sends the NAI to do other stuff. Keep doing that for months. Is the shell at full FP?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Default Re: Infomorphs, shells and sleep

IIRC, the Ghost doesn't lose fatigue to exertion but it can suffer from lack of sleep. Its emulator may be set up to to reproduce the bioshell's fatigue levels and other frailties of the flesh in the ghost's virtual bloodstream, but that's custom, elective work similar to what's canonically possible with virtual brain bugs. It still has to sleep eventually, unless it's got some new bug that makes it unnecessary.

Also (as I explained at some length a few weeks ago), I believe that the default slink feed from the bioshell will make the occupying Ghost feel tired, hungry, etc so it can't get to totally ignore the bodily conditions and so it probably suffers similar penalties to FP loss, but mitigators will be easy to come by, like a MUTE button,so they only really suffer as long as the controls are set for them to.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

It seems like you'd really want to track the simulated FP for the Ghost separate from any actual FP-loss from the shells.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

Ghosts don't have fatigue to lose or suffer from. But sleep deprivation has other effects based only on time spent awake.
I posted in another thread about this same issue, and that was the final verdict.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Ghosts don't have fatigue to lose or suffer from.
Interesting. I do understand what you mean to say, but technically it's not the Ghost part of the combined entity that defines whether it has FP, but the shell part.
Quote:
But sleep deprivation has other effects based only on time spent awake. I posted in another thread about this same issue, and that was the final verdict.
This one? I don't think reducing the HT of a cybershell while it is operated by a Ghost (but getting it back up once an AI takes over) makes much sense.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
But sleep deprivation has other effects based only on time spent awake.
It does? Page reference?
p. B427 only bases the effects on FP lost, and these are effects that should apply to Ghosts, IMO.
Quote:
If you’ve lost half or more of your FP to lack of sleep, you must make a Will roll every two hours you spend inactive (e.g., standing watch). On a failure, you fall asleep, sleeping until you are awakened or get a full night’s sleep. On a success, you have -2 to DX, IQ, and self-control rolls.
Which, again seems to suggest that Ghosts should track simulated virtual FP loss separate from "redline" effects on the cybershell.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
Flyndaran
Untagged

Lumping physical fatigue, mental fatigue, energy loss, etc. into one single number is rather worse than even IQ being all things cognitive not coordination related.
Way, way back I wondered something like this for brain in box cyborgs, and no one agree with it then. Am I being hipster by wondering why so many agree with my ideas but only a year or two later?
Old 05-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Lumping physical fatigue, mental fatigue, energy loss, etc. into one single number is rather worse than even IQ being all things cognitive not coordination related.
This is GURPS. At any rate, in Transhuman Space, I don't see a problem with tracking simulated virtual FP for Ghosts. This should include sleep as well as FP from Condition Orange/Focused from Tactical Shooting (if using that rule).
Quote:
Way, way back I wondered something like this for brain in box cyborgs, and no one agree with it then. Am I being hipster by wondering why so many agree with my ideas but only a year or two later?
As I recall that thread was pretty confusing and went haring off into the weeds in a page or too. I'm not sure you can really draw any conclusions from that.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

If Ghosts have fatigue to lose, then they have it to burn. Unless they have something other than the zero point feature either biologicals or machines have. That would definitely be a disadvantage.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #10
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
If Ghosts have fatigue to lose, then they have it to burn. Unless they have something other than the zero point feature either biologicals or machines have. That would definitely be a disadvantage.
Well, a Ghost possessing a cybershell doesn't have FP to burn for Extra Effort (or Power Blow in Martian Cinematic campaigns!). Possessing a bioshell, even an AI has FP.

(Side note: Autohypnosis can also be used to ignore being at 1/3 FP, which is an interesting effect if your FP loss comes from lost sleep.)

Tags
bioshells, doesn't sleep, ghost, infomorphs, lost sleep, sleep