Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #31
Gudiomen

Default Re: Combat Maneuvers Cheat Sheet

Hm, I've been holding out on posting my combat cards because they have too many rules in them. Is stuff like this ok to post? Because if it is, I've got some to share...
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:36 AM   #32
Onkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudiomen View Post
Hm, I've been holding out on posting my combat cards because they have too many rules in them. Is stuff like this ok to post? Because if it is, I've got some to share...
I was asking myself the same question because this maneuver sheet is not the only thing I have done, but all GM Support Stuff contains a lot of rules and I do not want to get in conflict because of copyright.

After I've seen others post stuff like this, I thought it was ok to do so. If it is not, please let me know and I will take the sheets offline!
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #33
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkl View Post
I'm weeping. This is excellent.

Some suggestions as per your request:
  1. Under All-Out Defense: Increased: Movement column -- change "Step | 1/2" to "Step (1/2)" to use a parallel structure with what you have in the Descroption column
  2. Under Move and Attack: Description column -- you end with "(except slams, etc.)". Since you've already committed to starting a new line, why not continue with a list instead of using the "etc."?
  3. Under Change Posture -- consider adding info about how to go from prone to standing. It takes two turns (unless you have Acrobatic Stand technique) and it comes up all the time (for my groups, at least).
  4. Add Riposte
  5. Add Stop Hit

I have a need for a similar reference sheet optimized for unarmed combat. The listing of potential options would include: punch, kick, grab, grapple, lock, push, slam, pin, choke, ... You get the idea. It seems we always have to look this stuff every time it comes up, even though it comes up about every game.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:59 PM   #34
Mailanka

Quote:
Hi guys

I've checked out all the combat maneuver help sheets I could get my hands on and was quite content with the one from The Mook for a while but finally decided that I needed to create one myself.

So here is the fruit of my labour:

Combat Maneuvers Cheat Sheet 1.3 UPDATED January 11 2011, 08:41 CET

Changes 1.3:

Added Chambara Defenses Box

Changes 1.2:

Included Rapid Fire Bonus Table

I am glad for any comments you may have concerning the sheet. Also, should you run across an error, please let me know.

Thanks to The Mook and the various others who inspired me to do this, couldn't have done it without the work you already put in it.

I hope you'll like and use it!

Cheers

Onkl
I tore apart Mook's sheet and put it back together with all the optional rules I was using in my particular game.

What application did you use to create the sheet? I would really appreciate it if you could find the time to post the original source for your document so those of us who want to stuff in optional rules will have an easy way of doing so.

(Certainly easier than trying to offer us every possible option from every book on a single document)

In any case, I really appreciate that document! It'll help my group a lot.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:49 AM   #35
Onkl

I created it using InDesign CS5, I've put the source file up... just have a look at the first post in this thread.

Will have a look at your suggestions later, thanks!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:00 AM   #36
Mailanka

Quote:
I created it using InDesign CS5, I've put the source file up... just have a look at the first post in this thread.

Will have a look at your suggestions later, thanks!
Thanks a bunch. That makes it much easier to toss together a campaign specific hand-out for my group.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #37
mook

Finally had a chance to peek at your sheet Onkl, it's sweet. :)

Downloaded for the next time I go on a sheet-creating binge! (Or actually *gasp* have a game to use it for)
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #38
Onkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
I'm weeping. This is excellent.

Some suggestions as per your request:
  1. Under All-Out Defense: Increased: Movement column -- change "Step | 1/2" to "Step (1/2)" to use a parallel structure with what you have in the Descroption column
  2. Under Move and Attack: Description column -- you end with "(except slams, etc.)". Since you've already committed to starting a new line, why not continue with a list instead of using the "etc."?
  3. Under Change Posture -- consider adding info about how to go from prone to standing. It takes two turns (unless you have Acrobatic Stand technique) and it comes up all the time (for my groups, at least).
  4. Add Riposte
  5. Add Stop Hit
Done, Version 1.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
I have a need for a similar reference sheet optimized for unarmed combat. The listing of potential options would include: punch, kick, grab, grapple, lock, push, slam, pin, choke, ... You get the idea. It seems we always have to look this stuff every time it comes up, even though it comes up about every game.
Would be great, but I lack the time at the moment to do this...
Old 01-17-2011, 09:59 AM   #39
Onkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
I never got to check out your v1.2 PDF, but the current one, v1.3, makes me concerned about how well it prints out on a black-and-white printer.

As for the grey background, you are probably using 15% or 20% grey, and I think that's good. On some worn-out printers (or worn-out laser drums, or not sure what the cause is) a grey that is too light ends up indistinguishable from white, which would make your table reall hard to read. I can't remember whether the threshold is 15% or 20% or what, but of course if you make the grey too dark (like 30%) then readability suffers because of reduced contrast between the dark grey background and the black text. (And you don't want to try white text on a black background. It eats toner, and is even more expensive for ink jet users, and might not be very readble.)

And the colours. My laser printer is out of commission, otherwise I'd do a printout and give you feedback on how readable the colours are when printed out in B&W, but you'll have to ask someone else to do that, if you don't have a B&W printer yourself.

Of course, you could make two versions, one colour, one black-and-white, but I think it is perhaps more elegant to have one version that works for everyone. Maybe one where colour is used much more sparingly...

Good work! I'm just concerned about usability.
Great input here, but for lack of time I do a colored only version at this time. Since I have put up the source file I hope somebody will make a B/W version...
Old 01-17-2011, 10:08 AM   #40
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Great input here, but for lack of time I do a colored only version at this time. Since I have put up the source file I hope somebody will make a B/W version...
I just printed it out on a basically new HP P1102w laser printer.

the text is small, but readable on a white background. The BOLD text is readable on the background of the Posture Table, very nicely.

the dark red of the extra effort table and the dark blue of the lower EE table are not readable at all. White or yellow text might fix this even for B/W printers.

If the other colors and greys can be lightened up just a touch, they'd transfer well.

I'm not saying "go do this now!" since I understand, perfectly, being pressed for time. But I thought i could provide some input.

You should contact Steven and see about making this available for a download. you should also find and add the SJG disclaimer (enclosed is property of SJG, etc)!
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat, game aid, game aids