Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 02-19-2020, 02:26 PM   #1321
Chris Rice

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

I always tend to overlook things like this as I instinctively see "shareholders" when stakeholders is written, even though I realise they are not the same.

SJGames has only been back on my radar again for a couple of years due to the relaunch of The Fantasy Trip. It's been both surprising and pleasing to see how popular it is and how much support it's been given in such a short space of time.

My gaming time is much more limited than it used to be so although I realise SJG make many fine games such as Car Wars, Ogre, Munchkin, etc I'm unlikely to get a chance to play them.

Oh, and although I really don't like GURPS at all as a system, I find the sourcebooks are often very useful.

Good luck for the future.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:46 PM   #1322
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
I see fewer comments here than in previous years. Does that mean . . .

- you're not interested?

- all your questions have been answered?

- the Martians are eating your forum posts?

- or what?
I don't believe in back-seat driving (and most of SJ Games' products today are not my cup of tea). I would like to try Ogre next time I have storage space and partners for it, but as far as I can tell none of us have a clue how to run a creative business in the 21st century other than release products, tell people about them, and listen to what the buyers and playtesters say.

I am thankful for all the people in the RPG and board games industry who describe the situation as they see it, because it might help me figure out how to earn a little money from my own creative work on an Internet I don't understand any more.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:21 AM   #1323
emigio

In italy, the best seller game for Raven (that is the SJG reseller but they sell many other games) is Munchkin XD Nice

As a huge munchkin fan i hope you can make profit with that game for at least the next 20 years!

(find a way to clone kovalic so he can work double)
emigio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:21 AM   #1324
Polydamas

It is good to hear that Lisa Villaire is putting your business under control, since a major theme of these in the 2010s has been "Evil Steve is spending too much time on accounting/personnel/project management and not enough in his lair designing new games." I hope that these 'sure bets' re-releasing classic games open up some time-space and money-space for riskier new games!

Edit: I am also happy that SJG regained rights to The Fantasy Trip after it was out of print for so many years.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature

Last edited by Polydamas; 02-20-2020 at 11:56 PM.
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:13 PM   #1325
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

My visits to the forum are less frequent than they used to be, so I only came across the Report today - and I continue to appreciate it. SJG has a transparency that other companies would do well to emulate. My only regret is that some of my favorite games haven't been in the high priority status for quite some time (GURPS and In Nomine) ... though I am glad that the new Illuminati is still getting love!

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:11 AM   #1326
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
. . . there is a lot more GURPS in the pipeline. It's just the kinds of stuff we're seeing these days (more short PDFs of new material and classic volumes in PoD).
There's also worthwhile work been done on the 7th printing of the Basic Set.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:17 AM   #1327
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

So, again, SJ Games is sufficiently transparent that most of this isn't a particular surprise. The big reveal here is that despite everything being so everything, the company actually did more or less kinda OK, which under the circumstances I'm regarding as a big win.

And, of course, it was nice to see GURPS explicitly called out as a priority for the coming year.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:06 PM   #1328
Ursus

Extremely happy to see the company making it through 2020 more or less intact, despite the pandemic and the personal losses!
Old 03-24-2021, 05:48 PM   #1329
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
So, again, SJ Games is sufficiently transparent that most of this isn't a particular surprise. The big reveal here is that despite everything being so everything, the company actually did more or less kinda OK, which under the circumstances I'm regarding as a big win.

And, of course, it was nice to see GURPS explicitly called out as a priority for the coming year.
Indeed. Making it through 2020 is an accomplishment, and I am also happy to see GURPS getting more love, since I play it for hours every Saturday. I hope to start playing The Fantasy Trip, too, once in-person gaming is possible again (a couple months for my group - we are in various stages of being vaccinated but making progress).

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:50 PM   #1330
xlyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
Indeed. Making it through 2020 is an accomplishment, and I am also happy to see GURPS getting more love, since I play it for hours every Saturday. I hope to start playing The Fantasy Trip, too, once in-person gaming is possible again (a couple months for my group - we are in various stages of being vaccinated but making progress).
Ditto, I was running DFRPG FTF until the pandemic hit, and then we switched to Discord, now we are playing some sort of weird Cthulhu/Monster Hunters game.
xlyce is offline   Reply With Quote