Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-07-2008, 03:47 AM   #11
Maz

Default Re: Examples of 4e Combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook
That's correct, and in my own games I don't bother rolling random hit location either (unless it truly would be random - as you say, I just default to torso unless another target is specified). However as I'm trying to keep, as much as possible, every single RAW option 'turned on', I figured I'd include the random Hit Location rolls too.
This is part of the 'RAW'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic p.398
Torso (0): [...] This is the default target for attacks: if you do not specify a hit location, you are attacking the torso.
See also the notes on "Completely unaimed attacks", on the same page but before the above quote. It states that use use the random hit locations for those type of attacks.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:28 AM   #12
Rasputin

Vehicular and mounted combat are other areas for examples. Also, bigger combats, interesting terrain, supernatural powers, spells -- but that stuff takes work.

You know, I wonder if the forumistas could collaborate on a few sample combats ...

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:55 AM   #13
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daverius
In the close combat example, Arthur grapples Zach with two arms. Zach attacks Arthur and Arthur parries. I think it says that if you are grappling with both your hands, then you can not use them, unless you opt to grapple with one hand.
Wrong; see Martial Arts, p. 119 ("Pain and Breaking Free") and 122 ("What Is... a Parry?").
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:16 AM   #14
RobKamm

Thank you for these, I'll be suggesting your page as a 'suggested reading' for my players in the very near future. Just a couple of things that I caught.

Melee One: I'll second the suggestion that you use the 'step' terminology rather than MP expenditure.

Melee Two: Just a suggestion to improve the lesson of this fight. In round 2, I'd suggest explicitly pointing out that the arm hit is not a crippling injury because it did not exceed HP/2.

Melee Three: Turn 3: You have Green parry in the turn that he is readying his sword. See 'Your Turn' on B363. Suggestion: Make it another dodge.

This last issue is, I think, a legacy from other games. The point could be made even clearer in your examples if you were to break up the action from the Round 1 G and R, Round 2 G and R... format and put them into G turn 1, R turn 1, G turn 2, R turn 2...

A minor nit: any chance you could add page references for some of the options that you're using, ie: Zach Red spends 1 FP to make a Mighty Blow (B357).
RobKamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:07 AM   #15
Mgellis

I may be reading something wrong, but I think there is an error in ranged combat example #2.

If...

Arthur rolls 3d6 against his effective Guns (Rifle) skill of 14 (+1 for All-Out Attack (Determined), +1 for bracing, +9 for Accuracy, +2 for Aiming (3 seconds), -7 for Hit Location: Skull, -14 for 500 yards range)...

Then I don't think he'd hit on a 12. 14- + 1 + 1 + 9 + 2 - 7 - 14 = 6-.

Or am I missing something?

Mark
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:12 AM   #16
demonsbane

This is a great initiative, but adding to this a GURPS 4e -Martial Arts expanded- combat flowchart would be SUPERB!

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:55 AM   #17
RobKamm

Close One, turn 2: you've got Green's HP correct in the stat block at the top. However, the text states "Arthur's HP are reduced to 9..." should be 6.

Also, you might want to note that using Martial Arts will change parts of this combat. Specifically MA98-9 offers a much more realistic modifiers for fighting between different postures.

Close Two, turn 2: Red has an effective skill of 13, and rolls 14. Yes, this is a possible hit but to the torso, not the face as the results subsequently portray.
RobKamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:57 AM   #18
3d6

Quick question: Move points?

---Rusty
~Ezekiel 25:17~
3d6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:02 AM   #19
Garion

Location: Northern (and I mean Northern, not freakin' Albany!) New york

I have not finished reading all of these, but unluess I'm mistaken, in melee combat example 2 Zach gets hit in the arm for cutting damage after DR; I don't think you use the cutting damage multiplier on extremeties like arms and legs.

Last edited by Garion; 02-07-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Garion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:31 AM   #20
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garion
I have not finished reading all of these, but unluess I'm mistaken, in melee combat example 2 Zach gets hit in the arm for cutting damage after DR; I don't think you use the cutting damage multiplier on extremeties like arms and legs.
You do (see page 399), it's about the only multiplier against limb that is effective. That's why people in the last 4000 years or more in general have gone around cutting each other arms and legs off. (Yes the RL follows the GURPS rules, didn't you know?) ;)

Last edited by Maz; 02-07-2008 at 09:37 AM.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
examples, tutorial