Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 10-06-2017, 02:12 PM   #11
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Grappling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colarmel View Post
Spoiler tag?
Agreed. Probably needs something like [I Smell A Rat; MILD SPOILERS].
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:49 PM   #12
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Agreed. Probably needs something like [I Smell A Rat; MILD SPOILERS].
Good point. I could edit my posts (let me know), but it seems that the spoiler tag belongs on the initial post or the title.

Do the moderators have the ability to edit the title?
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:10 PM   #13
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
Do the moderators have the ability to edit the title?
Yeah, and since I sent up the batsignal already I expect it'll be handled at some point.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:23 PM   #14
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

The problem is the assumption "grappled by the legs." Nothing says that. Yes, the webs are on the floor . . . so would be a heap of soap bubbles 50' tall. The webs in the adventure are attached to the floor rather than the ceiling, but they're meant to be pretty dense. The idea is that if you step in there, yes, you're actually all tangled up from head to toe. It's a 12'-tall room and the webs fill the bottom 5'-7', so they're "on the floor" in that sense, but not in the sense that they're just tying up your ankles.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:40 PM   #15
evileeyore
Banned

Ugh, really? A murder room filled with Close Combat and Grappling on newb players right off the bat? And pregens that don't have any torches?

/throws hands up in mock indignation.

(And I'd point out that the room's description does not hint at it being half filled with webs, just sayin. ;) )
Old 10-06-2017, 10:56 PM   #16
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

The newbs do get the web-free high ground and several turns to pelt spiders from above at a significant advantage. I ran two groups through at Gen Con. One split up and ran around, and it got nasty. The other just sat on the stairs and murdered the spiders from above. So it's a puzzle, but not a super-difficult one.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:27 PM   #17
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

And since you mentioned grappling . . .

(kidding! kidding!)

As one of the groups that "stayed on the stairs," as I recall, we did fairly well until we tried *leaving* the stairs. Then we did a lot of falling damage to ourselves.

Plus: the webbing is obvious as soon as you enter the room, and it's the FIRST room. Not really a spoiler, I think.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:41 PM   #18
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
And since you mentioned grappling . . .

(kidding! kidding!)

As one of the groups that "stayed on the stairs," as I recall, we did fairly well until we tried *leaving* the stairs. Then we did a lot of falling damage to ourselves.

Plus: the webbing is obvious as soon as you enter the room, and it's the FIRST room. Not really a spoiler, I think.
Assuming you don't, you know, cut off you own freaking leg.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:07 AM   #19
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
The newbs do get the web-free high ground and several turns to pelt spiders from above at a significant advantage. I ran two groups through at Gen Con. One split up and ran around, and it got nasty. The other just sat on the stairs and murdered the spiders from above. So it's a puzzle, but not a super-difficult one.
Hmmm. I think you were going easy on them...

With the room description I immediately stepped into the webs... and we only got 1 round of "pelting them from above" (the Wizard and Scout, no one else had readied ranged weapons) and now everyone is in Close Combat (spiders have a serious Move).

Which is fine for three of us (Barbarian, Scout, and Thief), but the Cleric, Knight, and Holy Warrior have shields and Reach 1 weapons... so I've suggested they try Shield Rushes to free themselves up some space. I'm hoping the Wizard has an "I win" spell tucked away...

The Barbarian (me) tossed aside the great axe is about to hug that spider to pieces. I'll love him, and pet him, and call him George.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:17 AM   #20
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

"[T]he floor is matted with layers of dense spider webs" doesn't invoke an image of spider webs reaching several feet above the floor to me. If that had been clearer, I could have described the room that way. And if the spiders are moving on top of all of that webbing, the heroes below the landing isn't getting any advantage of high ground either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
What did they do to see far enough to get several turns? With six yards of light, you get one turn until they reach the stairs and one turn as they climb up the stairs to where the heroes are.

"The huge spiders start six yards from the stairway and scurry up the stairs and supporting uprights, entering close combat on their second turn." How does that give them several turns?

Last edited by Dragondog; 10-07-2017 at 01:27 AM.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote