Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-31-2010, 09:55 PM   #11
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Default Re: Map Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitestreak View Post
I would suggest NBOS Software's Fractal Mapper at http://www.nbos.com/

It's easier to learn than CC, but its final outputs are of very good quality.
I'll take a look, thanks.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:03 PM   #12
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
I would suggest NBOS Software's Fractal Mapper at http://www.nbos.com/

It's easier to learn than CC, but its final outputs are of very good quality.
Looks interesting - but does it include a proper manual (PDF or print) that actually explains and catalogs all the features? I can't tell from the description.

I've been burned before by software that left out explanations of most of the features, leaving it for people to discover and reveal in various 3rd party forums, tutorials, wikis, etc. All very well, but not what I'd be looking for...
Old 12-31-2010, 10:46 PM   #13
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post
Looks interesting - but does it include a proper manual (PDF or print) that actually explains and catalogs all the features? I can't tell from the description.

I've been burned before by software that left out explanations of most of the features, leaving it for people to discover and reveal in various 3rd party forums, tutorials, wikis, etc. All very well, but not what I'd be looking for...
It has a help file, you don't *need* to visit forums or anything to get it to work. And it comes with a quick tutorial too, when I started using it I familirized myself in about 15 minutes and started toying around with maps. You can get really in depth if you know some of the program code, but you don't need it.

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:09 PM   #14
Whitestreak

David, I don't have FM loaded at the moment, & I can't seem to locate the box, but ghostdancer has it right - using the tutorial, as well as the Help files, will help you get started quickly.

Then, as with all things computer, you simply need to use it.

Both FM & CC are similar in that you need to figure out just what you're going after in your particular map - a neighborhood, a city, a state, a country or a continent.

You should start any project using one of these products with a few sketches. Use some scrap paper and fiddle around with a layout.

Architects & engineers do this all the time.

Once you get your basic ideas, transfer them to the computer with your chosen program to scale. You'll find that sizes are right, angles are wrong and that wall should be curved.

This is what draftsmen, like myself, do all the time. We take those sketches, dimensions and notes and turn them into a usable product.

Heck, if you find yourself in trouble, give me a holler.
Whitestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:37 PM   #15
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
You should start any project using one of these products with a few sketches. Use some scrap paper and fiddle around with a layout.

Architects & engineers do this all the time.

Once you get your basic ideas, transfer them to the computer with your chosen program to scale. You'll find that sizes are right, angles are wrong and that wall should be curved.

This is what draftsmen, like myself, do all the time. We take those sketches, dimensions and notes and turn them into a usable product.
Not a draftsmen but this is what I do (even if it does look like the doodling of a 4 year old).

I got a composite help/walkthrough .PDF *somewhere* on my external but ATM I can't find it (which is annoying as hell)

My only regret is that I bought mine from DrivethruRPG and not e23 (though e23 didn't have it when I bought mine, funnily enough)

Ghostdancer

Become a Patron!
Old 01-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #16
Jürgen Hubert

If you don't need a ready-made symbol library and only need normal geometric shapes, Inkscape can be very useful. It is a full-fledged vector graphics program, and completely free.

This map was done with Inkscape. If you want to use it with hex maps, this tutorial will explain what you need to know.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #17
Fnugus

For a program with a very shallow learning curve, I'm amazed noone has mentioned Hexographer: Hexographer. It's prime advantage is that it's very good at handling both square and hex grids, and although their basic symbol set isn't all that impressive, it's very easy to use, and has the option for including your own .png symbols. It also has a sister-program called Dungenographer (http://www.dungeonographer.com/).

Myself, I think that the learning curve is steeper in Fractal Mapper than in Campaign Cartographer. The latter is more intuitive to people not used to working with graphics, and more newbie-friendly.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #18
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
If you don't need a ready-made symbol library and only need normal geometric shapes, Inkscape can be very useful. It is a full-fledged vector graphics program, and completely free.

This map was done with Inkscape. If you want to use it with hex maps, this tutorial will explain what you need to know.
I don't know Jurgen, the few times I've toyed with Inkscape have been...well masochistic. Inkscape is IMHO *not* user friendly, and you don't want it going HAL-9000 and telling Dave he can't do that.

Never heard of Hexographer though, gonna check that out. Thanks Fnugus

Ghostdancer

Become a Patron!
Old 01-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #19
nanoboy

I have an older version of Campaign Cartographer, and I ended up really disliking it. I think the reason was that I was at the start of building a campaign world, and I wanted to make large-scale geographical and political maps. I didn't like the symbol system it used. I ended up drawing outlines of the coasts with a pencil, scanning it, and printing it. I then made a terrain map and a political map from that, using colored pencils and a pen. I was very happy with this result. I could not get CC to do anything like that, and I spent hours trying to get something out of it. I showed my wife who noticed that the software had similarities with AutoCAD, and she concluded that it was not good for what I wanted to do.

I usually draw dungeons, buildings, and so on quickly and in game on a battle mat, so the more useful aspects of CC wouldn't be my cup of tea. I also like to hand-draw Medieval town maps, since they're less regular than modern layouts. They also end up looking very good.
nanoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #20
Kage2020

With regards to the usability of Fractal Mapper, I recall the last time that I produced a map was in traditional male fashion (sans instruction manual) and it didn't look half bad. On the other hand, if Mr Pulver has reached that (ever personal and individual) age whereby he needs a five year old to show him how to operate the DVR... ;)

(I'm just kidding! Though to be fair I'm fearing reaching that point myself. :D)

Ghostdancer mentioned Dundjinni. While I haven't used that software I have heard good things about it.

Kage
Kage2020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
map, maps