Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-30-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
dgrm4

Default Map Software

Can someone recommend good software to create adventure maps for Gurps?
dgrm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
Kage2020

Default Re: Map Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrm4 View Post
I've used NBOS' Fractal Mapper in the past, though a part of that decision was the integration with their Astrosynthesis software for a space campaign. Just how it stacks up against something like Campaign Cartographer I'm not sure.

Do you have any specific requirements, e.g. free, or must be able to handle on genre of campaign over another?

Kage
Kage2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
dgrm4

I don't mind paying for it. I would like something that can handle post-apocalyptic setting and of course include hex overlay on the maps.
dgrm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
Michael Amos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrm4 View Post
Kind've a cross-post from my response to you on a different thread - I used Serif Draw Plus X2 to create the maps in the adventures on this page:

http://www.michaelamos.net/gurps/index.php

The software doesn't come with anything particularly for making maps but I have created hexagon templates and map symbols over time.

I bought and tried to use Campaign Cartographer 3 for a while. However, I really didn't get on with it and felt a little cheated of the fifty-odd notes it cost me.

Michael Amos
Michael Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:52 PM   #5
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Amos View Post
I bought and tried to use Campaign Cartographer 3 for a while. However, I really didn't get on with it and felt a little cheated of the fifty-odd notes it cost me.
I've been using CC3 for some time. There's a very steep learning curve, but once you get a handle on it, it's very powerful, and you can do some very good maps very quickly. For example, see the map of Florence (last page of the preview) I did for Pyramid #10, the floor plans for a zeppelin and a submarine I did for Pyramid #11, the map of Ansonne I did for Pyramid #22, and the historical locations pointed to in this thread.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
Whitestreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
I've been using CC3 for some time. There's a very steep learning curve, but once you get a handle on it, it's very powerful, and you can do some very good maps very quickly. For example, see the map of Florence (last page of the preview) I did for Pyramid #10, the floor plans for a zeppelin and a submarine I did for Pyramid #11, the map of Ansonne I did for Pyramid #22, and the historical locations pointed to in this thread.
I've been using the different versions of CC for a long time, and Turhan is correct - the learning curve *is* very steep, but the program is extremely capable.

My biggest problem is shifting from AutoCAD and Revit (which I use at work) to CC, but they're all comparable. For gaming and cartographic purposes, though, I do think that CC is the top of the heap.
Whitestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitestreak View Post
I've been using the different versions of CC for a long time, and Turhan is correct - the learning curve *is* very steep, but the program is extremely capable.

My biggest problem is shifting from AutoCAD and Revit (which I use at work) to CC, but they're all comparable. For gaming and cartographic purposes, though, I do think that CC is the top of the heap.
Not wanting to hijack the thread too much but:

I'm looking for any half-decent mapping software that has a very shallow learning curve? I mean by this that a complete novice can learn in a few hours, and you don't need to go on forums to hunt tips on how to use it, for example. Just something that can do good black-and-white maps, the kind of thing you might see in an GURPS e23 book or use for home adventures rather than a full-color prestige release.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
Kage2020

I would go with my original recommendation, but it's a tad... fantasy. If that's not a problem then you're good to go, but with a bit of playing I went from Astrosynthesis--Fractal Mapper/Fractal World Explorer with relative ease.

Then again my use of CC is non-existent and I have barely touched the surface of AutoCAD--Revit--Max (etc.). So, errr, what the others said.

Kage
Kage2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
Whitestreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post

I'm looking for any half-decent mapping software that has a very shallow learning curve? I mean by this that a complete novice can learn in a few hours, and you don't need to go on forums to hunt tips on how to use it, for example. Just something that can do good black-and-white maps, the kind of thing you might see in an GURPS e23 book or use for home adventures rather than a full-color prestige release.
I would suggest NBOS Software's Fractal Mapper at http://www.nbos.com/

It's easier to learn than CC, but its final outputs are of very good quality.
Whitestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post

Yeah what the others said, Fractal Mapper can make some really good looking maps. There are a ton of free images that people have come up with at both the Dundjinni forums and a few others. I've been using it for a while and have had no issues.

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
map, maps