Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-28-2018, 01:40 PM   #1
deneb3525

Default [RPM] and the clever player

I am a clever player if any of my GMs curses are to be believed. I can cause chaos of the highest order using a simple silent illusion and in DnD 3.5 the charm to summon a 60' oak tree was all but required equipment for characters.

So for RPM it looks like intent counts for a lot. If your trying to summon a 5 ton boulder to smash a bridge, you really should pay for the damage. While just trying to block a hallway is significantly cheaper energy wise.

But what about charms? What about pre-cast effects that are meant to be as multi-purpose as possible. The Oak tree, the 8,000 cubic feet of air in a bottle, the flour bomb.

For the flour bomb, do I need to bestows bonus for tracking, bestows penalty for stealth, 3d external burning if ignited, + penalty to sight if caught in the area + whatever incidental uses I can come up with from dumping 300 lbs of flour over a given area?

My GM was thinking that only the stated effects will count, so if I have a charm that summons a 100 lb anvil for a +3 to blacksmithing rolls and I drop it on someone, we end up with a comical effect of someone going "What was that?" after the anvil bounces off their head causing no effect.

Is there a better way to handle this? Some way to say, "The anvil summoned by this charm will react as you would expect an anvil to act in most circumstances." Without having to stat out every possible thing you could expect to use an anvil for.

Help?
deneb3525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:39 PM   #2
Bazial

Default Re: [RPM] and the clever player

Intent is very important in RPM, and it's a system that is very much based on GM approval. He is free to veto anything that runs counter to the intended style of the world. I find it generally isn't well suited for the kind of sheananigans you're looking for, but here goes.

In the case of the anvil: I'd say that's really a Great Create Matter spell, along with Duration modifiers, and what is created is a high quality anvil. Alternatively, it's a Boost Attribute modifiers on perhaps Strengthen Mind, in which case the anvil is most flavor.

In the first case, sure you could conjure an 100 lb. anvil I suppose. From there on, it's the same as any other object until the duration expires. But I'd be strongly opposed to allowing it to materialize in thin air above someone's head.

In the second case, since the anvil is not really the subject, I wouldn't say it's possible with that particular spell.

Not sure what to say about the flour bomb, aside from it would probably need some Greater Create Energy effect to justify that 3d fire is lit.

Not much, but hope that helps!
Bazial is offline   Reply With Quote