Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-24-2018, 06:46 PM   #1
Edges

Default Help Build Advantage: Being attacked requires a Will roll

Someone has the advantage that enemies need to pass a Will check to perform an attack on them (each time). It applies to direct attacks and includes Innate Attacks, Afflictions, spells, Imbuements, etc.

It has the limitation that it only works if the attacker is looking at the subject. So it can be bypassed with a Wild Swing, spells that don't require one to see the target, well directed AoE damage, etc. But no fair trying to close your eyes right before the hit lands. The idea is that the subject is so amazing that it takes extraordinary resolve to attack them.

A failed Will roll means the attacker must take the Do Nothing maneuver until their next turn (but they are not stunned).

How many points does this advantage cost? Extra credit if the price can be adjusted to account for penalties to the Will roll.

Thanks in advance.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:05 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Help Build Advantage: Being attacked requires a Will roll

I would go with Mind Control (Emanation, One Command Only, Reverse Sense Based, and Reduced Immunity) plus add enough Area to suit.
Maybe you could add Reduced Duration 1/60 to but if not another limitation for only lasts 1 Turn.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:28 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Must Do Nothing is the Daze Affliction.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:32 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Must Do Nothing is the Daze Affliction.
Affliction with Malediction might indeed be a better base than the Mind Control build. Probably cheaper.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 01-24-2018, 07:49 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Affliction with Malediction might indeed be a better base than the Mind Control build. Probably cheaper.
Not with Maladiction, unfortunately. This isn't a contest.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:57 PM   #6
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Not with Maladiction, unfortunately. This isn't a contest.
Malediction makes it a QC. Use Reduced Duration 1/60 so it only lasts a second and Emanation so it goes off every turn.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 01-24-2018, 07:59 PM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Malediction makes it a QC.
Which is not what the OP wants.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:15 AM   #8
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
Someone has the advantage that enemies need to pass a Will check to perform an attack on them (each time). It applies to direct attacks and includes Innate Attacks, Afflictions, spells, Imbuements, etc.

It has the limitation that it only works if the attacker is looking at the subject. So it can be bypassed with a Wild Swing, spells that don't require one to see the target, well directed AoE damage, etc. But no fair trying to close your eyes right before the hit lands. The idea is that the subject is so amazing that it takes extraordinary resolve to attack them.

A failed Will roll means the attacker must take the Do Nothing maneuver until their next turn (but they are not stunned).

How many points does this advantage cost? Extra credit if the price can be adjusted to account for penalties to the Will roll.

Thanks in advance.
Affliction (daze):
Area Effect (16 yard radius), +200%
Based On Will (Target Roll), +20%
Emanation, -20%
Sense-Based, +150%
Accessibility/trigger 'only when about to be attacked' -5%

Total ~44 points

You can take extra levels to make the will penalty higher, and you can tack on extra area effect to make the range go further out (depending on how far you want 'see you' to count for ranged attacks).
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:37 AM   #9
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
Affliction (daze):
Area Effect (16 yard radius), +200%
Based On Will (Target Roll), +20%
Emanation, -20%
Sense-Based, +150%
Accessibility/trigger 'only when about to be attacked' -5%
I don't think this build works. Area Effect and Emanation together means that it will hit everyone (including allies, because there's no Selective Area on it) within 16 yards of the user, which could very well not be the original attacker at all.

What I'd do instead is put on Reflexive - that will let you activate as a free action, out of turn (though at a -4 penalty). Also, if you want it to affect any target who fails a Will roll, then Cosmic: No die roll required will have to go on there too. The other modifiers should be fine, though you might want to put a level or two of Long Ranged on it as well, to cover affecting anyone who attacks you, rather just anyone within 100 yards or so.

Also, if this always triggers, even when the "attack" is not intended harmfully (e.g., someone trying to shoot you with a dart full of antitoxin, or slapping you to snap you out of a panic, or anything like that), then you can put Always On on it too. I wouldn't go higher than the -10% version, though - this is not, generally, a harmful ability to have on all the time!
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:06 AM   #10
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
I don't think this build works. Area Effect and Emanation together means that it will hit everyone (including allies, because there's no Selective Area on it) within 16 yards of the user, which could very well not be the original attacker at all.

What I'd do instead is put on Reflexive - that will let you activate as a free action, out of turn (though at a -4 penalty). Also, if you want it to affect any target who fails a Will roll, then Cosmic: No die roll required will have to go on there too. The other modifiers should be fine, though you might want to put a level or two of Long Ranged on it as well, to cover affecting anyone who attacks you, rather just anyone within 100 yards or so.

Also, if this always triggers, even when the "attack" is not intended harmfully (e.g., someone trying to shoot you with a dart full of antitoxin, or slapping you to snap you out of a panic, or anything like that), then you can put Always On on it too. I wouldn't go higher than the -10% version, though - this is not, generally, a harmful ability to have on all the time!
The accessibility/trigger handles that- only those trying to attack the character in question trigger the advantage, the rest remain happily unaware of its existence. (Its also why I gave such a low value for the limitation, since quite frankly its near an advantageous enhancement rather than a limitation.)
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote