Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 11-12-2019, 10:52 AM   #1
Praxian

Default Possible to make...

Wanting to make a specific advantage have some modifiers in advance so players don't have to spend time finding x and y and adding z modifiers so that players can simply see "Oh, here it is." and go from there?

example:
I'd like to have Regeneration with:
Accessibility: Useless Under Stress -60%
Energy Reserve Only -0%
Magical -10%

initially I want it to be 1ER/Hour and then the player can 'buy' that up with earned xp (so that over time it'll be 1/min, sec, or 10/sec).

I'm just not sure how to cover that in the program. The past few times I've tried I break something so reaching out.

Thanks for any help!!!
Praxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:12 PM   #2
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.
Default Re: Possible to make...

You can just create a new Advantage with a custom name and tell them to use that one.

Regeneration: Energy Reserve (1 ER/Hour)

Since it doesn't impact any other stats on the sheet, it doesn't need any mechanical impact.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:33 PM   #3
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Possible to make...

There are tons of examples of advantages with modifiers automatically applied to the character. This generally uses the initmods() tag, although advantages for templates use a different format in the adds() tag.

The format for initmods() is very simple; you just copy/paste modifiers from the [MODIFIERS] section of the datafile into the tag, separating modifiers with a pipe character like this: |

Code:
initmods(_
	Foo, -60%, page(B1) | _
	Bar, +0%, page(B3)_
)
The best working example of this in the Basic Set data file is the Extra ST advantage:

Code:
Extra ST, 10/20, page(B14), mods(Extra ST, Size, No Fine Manipulators), symbol(Physical),_
	initmods(_
		Affects displayed ST score, +0%, shortname(Affects ST), gives(+Owner::Level to ST:ST), group(Extra ST), description(This modifier causes the Extra ST advantage to affect the displayed attribute score. If you don't wish this advantage to affect the displayed score remove this modifier.)_
		|  Size, -10%, formula(-@if(ST:Size Modifier::score > 0 THEN ST:Size Modifier::score * 10 else 0)), forceformula(yes), group(Size), page(B15) _
		),_
	description(The Extra ST advantage allows you to take extra levels of the attribute which you can then apply enhancements and limitations to. The "Affects displayed score" modifier causes the Extra ST advantage to affect the displayed attribute score. If you don't wish this advantage to affect the displayed score remove that modifier.)
If you're basing your ability on an existing ability you can #Clone that ability then replace the initmods() tag to make the cloned version of the advantage start with the modifiers you want it to.

Code:
#Clone {AD:Terror} as {AD:Terror (Awe)}
#ReplaceTags in {AD:Terror (Awe)} with _
{displaycost(15), initmods(_
	Foo, -60%, page(B1) | _
	Bar, +0%, page(B3)_
)}
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 11-12-2019 at 03:39 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote