Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-29-2018, 04:44 PM   #1
Eddie T

Default Psychic Creature Creation Help

I want to create a non-intelligent creature that has to feed on mana to live.

Dependency, Weekly, (haven't decided the mana level overall yet so still undecided as to availability for point value).

For the mana-sucking mechanism, I'm thinking the psionic power Steal Energy. I'd like to keep it away from a skill roll, and be more of a pure advantage.

Is there a better way that I'm missing? What limitation would I apply for the creature to have to claw the prey first?
Eddie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:12 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Psychic Creature Creation Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie T View Post
For the mana-sucking mechanism, I'm thinking the psionic power Steal Energy. I'd like to keep it away from a skill roll, and be more of a pure advantage.

Is there a better way that I'm missing? What limitation would I apply for the creature to have to claw the prey first?
If you want to go with an effect that just lets them steal power without a skill roll, just use the base advantage that underlies Steal Energy, Leech. You'll find it on p. 96 of Powers (it's actually a generalized version of Vampiric Bite, from the Basic Set). Using Leech has the advantage of not needing any special modifiers to make it require a claw hit - that's the way the advantage works by default.

Also, Dependency (Mana) probably isn't the right disad to use to represent needing to "feed" on mana. Dependency just means you need that substance or condition to exist in general, and its absence will start hurting you. Requiring a substance you have to consume periodically will probably be better represented by Draining. If the character can also not consume anything but mana, add Restricted Diet.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:10 PM   #3
Stormcrow

If this is meant to be a creature the players encounter, not a player character, then don't bother working out how to build it with character traits. Just say something like, "if it touches you, roll HT or drop your personal mana level to the next lower level, e.g. normal mana to low mana." Or whatever effect you want. If it matters what this ability's source (e.g., psionic) is, decide on that, but don't worry about making it like you'd make a character.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:50 PM   #4
Eddie T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
If you want to go with an effect that just lets them steal power without a skill roll, just use the base advantage that underlies Steal Energy, Leech. You'll find it on p. 96 of Powers (it's actually a generalized version of Vampiric Bite, from the Basic Set). Using Leech has the advantage of not needing any special modifiers to make it require a claw hit - that's the way the advantage works by default.

Also, Dependency (Mana) probably isn't the right disad to use to represent needing to "feed" on mana. Dependency just means you need that substance or condition to exist in general, and its absence will start hurting you. Requiring a substance you have to consume periodically will probably be better represented by Draining. If the character can also not consume anything but mana, add Restricted Diet.
I always forget to look in Powers. I was flipping back and forth in Basic and searching the pdf like crazy.

Leech is definitely what I was looking for and you're right, Draining is a better fit. Thanks!
Eddie T is offline   Reply With Quote