Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 11-30-2006, 12:23 PM   #31
Khoontshdroos

Default Re: What is murder?

Who spoke about zombies in TS, somewhere, some days ago. Can't remind who...

Last edited by Khoontshdroos; 11-30-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Khoontshdroos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:24 PM   #32
RelFexive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert
Oh, it's actually a fairly simple process:

1) Ghost technology becomes available.

2) The ultra-rich become interested in this technology as a way of living beyond their natural life span.

3) They lobby their local legislators to accept the ghost of a biosapient as the same legal entity so that they don't have to deal with inheritance hassles by going through the process.

4) The legislators are swayed by campaign donations and implement the relevant laws.

5) The ultra-rich go through destructive uploading and live happily ever after.
That is actually going to be the biggest driving force behind the legal and social acceptance that a ghost (or backup of a ghost or AI) is the same person as the original, isn't it? Good point.

"My God - you're like a trained ape. Without the training."

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."
RelFexive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:39 PM   #33
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelFexive
That is actually going to be the biggest driving force behind the legal and social acceptance that a ghost (or backup of a ghost or AI) is the same person as the original, isn't it? Good point.
I still balk at the idea of committing suicide so that something that thinks the same can come into existence.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:11 PM   #34
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran
I still balk at the idea of committing suicide so that something that thinks the same can come into existence.
You do. Others don't - even today.

I mean, I probably wouldn't do it either unless I was going to die anyway, but plenty of others are more willing to undergo the procedure. And who are we to prevent them from doing that?
Old 11-30-2006, 02:17 PM   #35
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
You do. Others don't - even today.

I mean, I probably wouldn't do it either unless I was going to die anyway, but plenty of others are more willing to undergo the procedure. And who are we to prevent them from doing that?
You don't feel that preventing suicides is almost always the correct path?
I find that a more frightening idea.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:30 PM   #36
Khoontshdroos

Mmmm... Suicide or seek of immortality? As interested in Chinese Traditional Medicine, I fear having difficulties with the idea of ghost being the same of his wet original; but I'm curious to intent to figure the relationship between both in Chinese Medicine terms. One of the various reasons of the thread I proposed but what obviously don't interest anyone.

Last edited by Khoontshdroos; 11-30-2006 at 02:46 PM.
Khoontshdroos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:38 PM   #37
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
You don't feel that preventing suicides is almost always the correct path?
I find that a more frightening idea.
If someone can prove to me that they thought long and hard about this and aren't just doing it out of the spur of the moment, then no, I don't see it as my business to prevent them from doing so.

It is their free choice, and I respect that - just as I expect others to respect my choices.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:56 PM   #38
Khoontshdroos

Quote:
If someone can prove to me that they thought long and hard about this and aren't just doing it out of the spur of the moment, then no, I don't see it as my business to prevent them from doing so.

It is their free choice, and I respect that - just as I expect others to respect my choices.
Principaly I agree with you; it's close to the euthanasy question; but I still think that it were a kind of suicide, not thinking the neuronal order being the final answer to the self (a memetical illusion? ;) ).
Old 11-30-2006, 03:33 PM   #39
Phineas

Quote:
Saying it's suicide is biochauvinist. If you come at the problem assuming identity lies in thought and the mind, it's simpler to swallow. You're taking your mind from a biological body to a digital one.
Phineas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:21 PM   #40
Nelson Cunnington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos
And when technological improvement allows non-destructive upload? What are you doing then? What will it then seem in retrospect that people were doing with destructive uploads?
I don't see that that will change anyone's position. A therapeutic upload (say to avoid the effects of extreme aging) will have the same result, unless, for some umimaginable reason, you decide that you want your old body to continue on after you're uploaded into the new body. Embarrassing, to say the least.