Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-03-2017, 10:02 PM   #1
jneedler

Default Question about starting equipment and TLs

Hi, just starting a campaign, and have questions. Our group has the "GM's decision is law" rule, but we are also new to GURPS and trying to understand the intent of the Basic set.

Campaign: we are playing a campaign set in the Firefly universe, which gives us some very complicated TL (Tech Level) situations. We called the 'overall' TL of the universe TL 10 ($50,000 average starting wealth), though obviously some TL sectors are different (Transportation is TL 12) and the overall TL of some planets are significantly lower.

For starting characters, mostly TL 8 and some TL 9 weapons are available (again, average starting wealth at TL 10 is $50,000). If a character buys the TL 8 Auto Pistol, .44M as starting equipment (listed cost of $750 on page 278), is there any adjustment to that price in a TL 10 universe?

The Basic Set gives an example of converting higher TL equipment costs to a lower TL campaign setting (page 27), but doesn't give an example (or any expressly stated ruling that we found) on converting lower TL equipment costs to a higher TL setting. Is that because the Pistol remains at a fixed cost across TL 8, 9, 10, etc (which makes it cheaper as a percentage of starting wealth each subsequent TL increase)?

Related question: what about equipment that DOES increase in TL? The Pistol technology remains the same (and has the same effectiveness). However, the TL for personal electronics WILL change each level, and a TL 8 computer will be virtually useless in a TL 10 world. Is there a guideline, formula, etc, for items like that, or do we need to just completely invent the price of a personal computer at TL 10?

Thanks in advance!
jneedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:04 PM   #2
Dalzig

Default Re: Question about starting equipment and TLs

Once you pass TL8, you're looking into the realm of GURPS Ultra-tech. That book helps flesh out details for TL9 and above computers, including their price, power usage, complexity, software. It looks like TL9 computers are assumed to be much more efficient as a $100 TL9 computer is 20x faster (Complexity 4 vs Complexity 3) than a $1000 TL8 computer.

How useful a TL8 computer is in a TL10 world depends on what you want to do with it. It will run the exact same programs as it used to since its complexity hasn't changed (see B472, Computers). The main problem is that it won't be able to run higher complexity programs needed for TL10 skill-use. You don't want to design a TL10 spaceship with a TL8 computer. You might be able to use a TL8 computer to hack into another TL8 computer.

With all that said, I don't think there's a general rule for what does and does not become cheaper as the world's TL increases. It's pretty well understood that computers get extremely faster at the same time they get extremely cheaper. A TL8 firearm is already pretty efficient and increased technology can't really do much about it.

You pretty much have to examine each technology and consider if there is actually a more efficient means to produce it.

Last edited by Dalzig; 03-03-2017 at 11:13 PM.
Dalzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:28 AM   #3
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneedler View Post
If a character buys the TL 8 Auto Pistol, .44M as starting equipment (listed cost of $750 on page 278), is there any adjustment to that price in a TL 10 universe?
No; just use the book price.

Quote:
The Basic Set gives an example of converting higher TL equipment costs to a lower TL campaign setting (page 27), but doesn't give an example (or any expressly stated ruling that we found) on converting lower TL equipment costs to a higher TL setting. Is that because the Pistol remains at a fixed cost across TL 8, 9, 10, etc (which makes it cheaper as a percentage of starting wealth each subsequent TL increase)?
Exactly. Increased wealth is reflected by having more GURPSbucks, not across-the-board decreases in fixed prices of goods using a deflationary fixed currency in the price lists.

Quote:
The Pistol technology remains the same (and has the same effectiveness). However, the TL for personal electronics WILL change each level, and a TL 8 computer will be virtually useless in a TL 10 world.
Actually, handgun technology has improved since TL7. Not huge differences that are obvious in the real world unless you're an enthusiast, and it's not always about the damage in RPG combat, with factors like reliability and weight improving, not to mention cost that we've already covered. But a TL8 pistol is a better piece of gear than a TL7 pistol. You're assuming that there won't be any more pistol improvements, and also projecting the very current-day notion that personal consumer electronic gadgets must necessarily improve by leaps and bounds, just because they did over the past 20 years -- even though PCs have vastly slowed down their rate of change in that time, and even smartphones have already levelled on what features people find worthwhile throwing into the devices. It's not just about transistor size or metallurgy, but also the needs of the users and what they value. A transhumanist technology singularity setting is at least as much about the change in the people as it is about the tech.

The TL8 computer will continue to do what it does just as well as it did when it was made. That's not "useless", even if it's not as good as analogous equipment designed for the same niche -- if that even changes, as it hasn't for handguns. The TL8 computer might or might not interoperate with the newer stuff; that depends on whether the engineers are keeping standard interfaces. (TCP/IP is a TL7 technology, and there have been newer and putatively better things invented and internationally standardized since then, but we're still using it to run the Internet, and no one has serious plans to change that.)

Those kinds of factors might be true in a future setting. Or they might not. Which leads to my main point -- most GURPS books are not setting books, and that's particularly true when we're talking about Ultra-Tech. The books aren't definitions of pre-designed worlds to be used as-is, off-the-shelf. They're catalogs sampled across a wide variety of possible settings.

There's really no such thing as "a TL10 world", as though they were all the same, have exactly the same tech base, a uniform tech level across the board in every application of every technology, and most importantly for cautionary purposes -- not everything labeled as "TL10" is even expected to simultaneously exist and be balanced against other TL10 gear. The TL numbers are rough approximations of what you might expect, but the group (or GM alone, if that's the way he does things) needs to go over the options and figure out what tech actually exists in their setting and what it does.

Firefly doesn't exhibit much advance in weapons tech, for instance. Even spaceships are mounting autocannon when they have weapons at all, and portable lasers are one-off prototypes. There's also not much in the way of personal gadgetry depicted that I recall. It's not just a frontier effect, as even the wealthy Tam family on the central planets with their force-field fences have pretty mundane tablets, and the networks are email, video conferencing, and database lookups. There aren't any computers beyond TL8 that I recall. Maybe they just don't get any better, or at least the inhabitants of the 'verse have more urgent things to occupy their attention than making incremental improvements in stuff that's already good enough.

So whether or not there's an awesome TL10 Moore's-law-projected-for-a-century computer in the setting or not is really up to how you want the setting to feel, not whether or not there's a line item in a table in a rule book.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:40 AM   #4
Emerald Cat

According to Ultra-Tech, the defining characteristic of TL10 is the rise of robotics. Apparently, the Alliance deploys androids as agents. But you never see anyone else using drones or robots. Therefore, I would call Firefly a TL10 where the Alliance is enforcing safetech restrictions on the general public.
Emerald Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:50 AM   #5
Varyon

Personally, I'd be tempted to call Firefly TL 9, with some TL 10 medical and maybe computer tech in the hands of the Alliance, and a lot of superscience. First, while the weapons mostly resemble modern firearms (sometimes with a bit of aesthetic regression to look more like what you'd see in a Western), many of them... aren't. Mal's pistol, for example, was apparently a Gauss/Conventional hybrid (can fire using magnetic rails or can fire conventional shells).

As for superscience, we've got holograms (sort of doable, but not in the manner seen in Firefly), terraforming (again, doable, but not to the extent or at the speeds seen in Firefly), artificial gravity, and the reactionless pseudovelocity drives used by the spacecraft. There's probably other stuff, too.

As for the original question, no, there's not really a set price reduction for using lower tech gear. However, there are workarounds. Ultra-Tech has price-reducing options for computers of lower complexity than the default for the TL, which can represent computers from a lower TL. The various Armor Design articles from Pyramid have price reductions for using some armor materials at later TL's, often on the order of 1/2 cost at +1 TL and higher (no additional reductions at later TL's). The fact is, things are too variable for a general rule. In the case of firearms, at TL 9 the smart electronics, caseless design, and electronic ignition aren't really complicated enough to really justify much of an increased cost, so TL 8 firearms without those aren't likely to really see a price reduction, for example.

Last edited by Varyon; 03-04-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:03 AM   #6
jneedler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
No; just use the book price.

Exactly. Increased wealth is reflected by having more GURPSbucks, not across-the-board decreases in fixed prices of goods using a deflationary fixed currency in the price lists.
Perfect! I think that answers the main questions we had. Thank you!

For further detailed analysis, continue below (WARNING - I'm a huge Firefly fan and will dissect it ad nauseum!):

Quote:
Actually, handgun technology has improved since TL7 ... a TL8 pistol is a better piece of gear than a TL7 pistol. You're assuming that there won't be any more pistol improvements
Actually, we are trying to faithfully replicate the Firefly universe, in which the majority of commonly available personal firearm weapons seem to be early 21st century firearms. Out of all the firearms on the show, you could probably count on one hand the firearm technology that is not currently available: Vera, the Lassiter, Rance Burgess' laser pistol, Mal's pistol, the bounty hunter's pistol, and a few generic Alliance "pulse rifles" that make cameos (okay, so maybe two hands). The vast majority of firearms used seem to be items I could walk into a store today and purchase (and I currently own a few firearms, so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about), so that is what we are trying to recreate.

Quote:
You're ... projecting the very current-day notion that personal consumer electronic gadgets must necessarily improve by leaps and bounds, just because they did over the past 20 years.
Nope, I'm trying to recreate a very complex universe that integrates everything from TL 2 to TL 12, and sometimes in the same city. However,

Quote:
There's also not much in the way of personal gadgetry depicted that I recall. It's not just a frontier effect, as even the wealthy Tam family on the central planets with their force-field fences have pretty mundane tablets, and the networks are email, video conferencing, and database lookups. There aren't any computers beyond TL8 that I recall.
Honestly, the 'science' in the science-fiction setting of the Firefly 'verse is one of the most disappointing aspects to me (my personal opinion here). I'm sure Joss Whedon wanted a "gritty" and "earthy" human-emotion story that didn't get overshadowed by cool new technology (and Firefly is my FAVORITE. SHOW. EVER.), but I felt the general technology was very underwhelming, to the point of being worse than what was available in real life when the show was released (hello .... look at that image of Patience from the video conference call they had in the pilot episode; we had better tech in the year 2000!). Even more frustrating, there were glimpses of much better tech available in that setting: the holographic neural imager in the hospital on Ariel, Mr. Universe's computer setup (not to mention his personal lovebot), the flexible screen display used by Niska, etc. Again, I think I know WHY Whedon did it, I just feel it was very unrealistic in a world of normalized space travel, terraforming, floaty private islands, and automated flying dumpsters, to have the majority of people reliant on electronic tech from the 21st century (yes, even wealthy families like the Tam's apparently used 500 year old tech). But I digress ....

Quote:
There's really no such thing as "a TL10 world", as though they were all the same, have exactly the same tech base, a uniform tech level across the board in every application of every technology, and most importantly for cautionary purposes -- not everything labeled as "TL10" is even expected to simultaneously exist and be balanced against other TL10 gear. The TL numbers are rough approximations of what you might expect, but the group (or GM alone, if that's the way he does things) needs to go over the options and figure out what tech actually exists in their setting and what it does.
Which is exactly why I pointed out the divergent TL's of various sectors and various locales in the Firefly universe. The reason I specified that we are using TL 10 as our starting wealth is so people answering my question would know what our starting wealth is.

Quote:
So whether or not there's an awesome TL10 Moore's-law-projected-for-a-century computer in the setting or not is really up to how you want the setting to feel, not whether or not there's a line item in a table in a rule book.
Obviously ... which is why I let everybody know that we are trying to recreate the Firefly universe. For example, the mole in the pilot episode (Lawrence) had a personal "tablet" equivalent (although, again, much more clunky and than we have today - hopefully it had at LEAST the computing power my smartphone has). How much would that TL 10 personal computer/access device cost, in terms of GURPS dollars?
Old 03-04-2017, 11:14 AM   #7
jneedler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Ultra-Tech has price-reducing options for computers of lower complexity than the default for the TL, which can represent computers from a lower TL.
I see from your comment (and other comments as well) that I must not have stated that question very clearly, so allow me to retry:

We are calling the general universe TL 10, which gives us a starting wealth of $50,000. I want to purchase two items, both basically the highest personal electronic TL available to individuals (I'm playing a hacker in the game):
1) a personal stand-alone computer (think 'desktop,' but in the Firefly universe)
2) a personal, portable computer (think tablet like the Tams had)

All I have to go off of for prices is the TL 8 examples in the book (or current 2017 prices), but I'm trying to figure out what would be acceptable GURPS price for that TL 10 world. Can anyone help with that?
Old 03-04-2017, 11:29 AM   #8
Phantasm

As per Ultra-Tech, p. 22, a TL10 Personal Computer (desktop or laptop) is complexity 7, has 100 petabytes (1 PB == 1024 TB) storage, is $1,000, 5 lbs, 2C/20 hrs (or constantly off external power); a Small Computer (tablet or iPad expy) is Complexity 6, 10 petabytes storage, $100, 0.5 lb, 2B/20 hrs. That's not counting the terminal for interface, though; a laptop would have a Portable Terminal built in (UT p. 24; $50, 0.5 lb, 2B/20 hr), a desktop a Workstation Terminal either built in or separate ($500, 5 lbs., C/10 hrs or external power), and a datapad a Datapad interface (UT p.23; $10, 0.05 lb, 2A/20 hrs).

My suggestion would be to shave one hour off the computer duration for operating the terminal at the same time.

If you want TL9 or TL8 computers, I'd cut the price of the computer - but not the terminal - in half and to a quarter, respectively.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:55 AM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

Weird, that they dropped the Cheap computer option from Ultratech, when I know it existed in 3rd edition.

THS suggests 5% price and acting as one size smaller in performance for -1 complexity and 1/10 storage. But that setting is all about the newest shiniest tech, so outdated stuff would be much less valuable than in OP's setting where "good enough" is good enough.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:33 PM   #10
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Weird, that they dropped the Cheap computer option from Ultratech, when I know it existed in 3rd edition.
High-Tech gives a "Slow" option:
Slow (TL8). The computer uses inexpensive processors, or is of an older design. May not be combined with fast. -1 to Complexity. x1/20 cost.

I'd probably apply Slow in place of Cheap for older models.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote