Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #31
Refplace

Default Re: 4e Cyberpunk???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarmonic View Post
I think that one thing that's essential to the genre is brand name recognition for gear and weapons. Unfortunately, that's something the generic-ness of the GURPS system isn't very conducive to without all the hard work.
Brands are good, GURPS UT has a few comany ames that are tied in and a few other books and it an add flavor.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:13 AM   #32
bibliosk8er

Holy smokes! I just check this out,and man, that is some really cool work. I may steal it all! Seriously- very inspiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Me and Cernig have been running a long-standing Cyberpunk campaign over on Obsidian Portal, complete with almost everything you need as a Cyberpunk 'sourcebook' including cyberware, netrunning rules, new armor and weapons rules, new rules for AIs, and a bunch of other stuff. It's intended strictly for our particular game - meaning it has a bunch of house rules and ignores TL differences due to everything being late TL9/early TL10 - but it should prove useful as a general 'that's interesting' area and maybe you can steal some of our ideas *shrug*.
bibliosk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:47 AM   #33
smurf
Banned

We played splatter punk. Cool gizmos that were illegal will get you shot by the police as a terrorist. Public transport was the mode of travel, dumping 'illegal' kit was essential to survival. Living a life of riches would be negated by the landing in poverty the next day.

Given the options to hide guns in cisterns a few days before a public show to collect said fire arms and wreck havoc. It was mainly a blur.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:18 PM   #34
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibliosk8er View Post
Holy smokes! I just check this out,and man, that is some really cool work. I may steal it all! Seriously- very inspiring.
Thanks:) Outright theft is the sincerest form of flattery in these sorts of things:D
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:17 AM   #35
Gungral

You can use the Chase Action system found in Action Exploits simulate gameplay in cyberspace while other players use the standard rules in game world.

Last edited by Gungral; 07-01-2019 at 11:45 PM.
Gungral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:43 AM   #36
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal View Post
Hi folks - after re-reading some of my Gibson boooks, I'm wanting to run a GURPS cyberpunk game - has any cyberpunk setting material been updated to 4e. I'm assuming that I'm gonna mostly using ultra tech and bio tech for the rules....

Any suggestions for running GURPS cyberpunk, as ive only run modern day GURPS games before?
One thing you need to settle on is the raw foundation of your Cyberpunk setting ie is based on our present or is it a type of retrofuture setting?

GUI interfacing has gotten so sophisticated that many of the views about how going around the net are "quaint". Thanks to things like Reboot and Second Life we know that the GUI an hacker uses could be like a neighborhood.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:12 PM   #37
dataweaver

Personally, I'd love to see a supplement for Action that retools it for a cyberpunk tomorrow. It would work well largely because Action is built around the Techno-Thriller genre, and Cyberpunk is basically Techno-Thriller with an added dose of tech (i.e., Cybernetics and Netrunning).

Last edited by dataweaver; 07-02-2019 at 11:48 AM.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:03 AM   #38
Black Leviathan

I struggle with the concept of Cyberpunk. Back in the 90's we played little else but the technology of that game world is rapidly becoming obsolete. It's an interesting genre but more as an alternate version of history that is coming to pass. Next year is going to be 2020, the beginning of the Cyberpunk timeline, close to a decade into Shadowrun's, and our world looks nothing like the one that turns into those games.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:40 AM   #39
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
Next year is going to be 2020, the beginning of the Cyberpunk timeline, close to a decade into Shadowrun's, and our world looks nothing like the one that turns into those games.
Cyberpunk 2020 was the sequel, the first was in 2013. However, I wouldn't say getting the year wrong means that we're not getting closer to those worlds.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:49 PM   #40
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
I struggle with the concept of Cyberpunk. Back in the 90's we played little else but the technology of that game world is rapidly becoming obsolete. It's an interesting genre but more as an alternate version of history that is coming to pass. Next year is going to be 2020, the beginning of the Cyberpunk timeline, close to a decade into Shadowrun's, and our world looks nothing like the one that turns into those games.
Just push the timeline forward and adapt some of the tech to match our better modern tech.

/dusts off hands, another job well done...

Heck, the last c-punk game I ran I didn't give out what year it was nor ever even alluded to it. Luckily the Players never noticed or pushed the issue.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote