Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-26-2018, 05:56 PM   #11
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Default Re: Placement of Talents in the Rules

AM, AW, and ITL will become one book.

PROBABLY they will be in that order (modulo things that get moved into different sections for better thematic fit - there were a few sections whose placement I could not fathom).
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:33 PM   #12
Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
AM, AW, and ITL will become one book.

PROBABLY they will be in that order (modulo things that get moved into different sections for better thematic fit - there were a few sections whose placement I could not fathom).
Please don't forget the Swimming paste up glitch. No rule book at hand, but it is in there somewhere (at least in my copy) and just cuts off in the middle of explaining what Swimming can do as a talent, but I don't remember it being under the listed talent, but in another section about swimming somewhere.

As GM, I have had to drown too many characters for lack of this information, to their dismay! ;)
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:01 PM   #13
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
Please don't forget the Swimming paste up glitch. No rule book at hand, but it is in there somewhere (at least in my copy) and just cuts off in the middle of explaining what Swimming can do as a talent
First printing, In The Labyrinth, White Lettering, page 12.

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:04 PM   #14
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Currently is:

SWIMMING (1). General swimming ability. This talent also increases your chances of surviving a fall into water, even in armor. If you fall into water make a saving roll vs. adjDX: 4 dice for a non*swimmer, 2 for a swimmer. A figure with the Diving talent (see below) succeeds automatically.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:15 PM   #15
Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Currently is:

SWIMMING (1). General swimming ability. This talent also increases your chances of surviving a fall into water, even in armor. If you fall into water make a saving roll vs. adjDX: 4 dice for a non*swimmer, 2 for a swimmer. A figure with the Diving talent (see below) succeeds automatically.
Still no rule book at hand, but this is the talent, which has a minimal amount of info. I think Jim may have referenced what I was talking about that gives more info about swimming, but I haven't looked it up. And if he mentioned first printing (which is basically everything I have), maybe info in ITL page 12 is what is missing in my rules, about swimming, and maybe corrected in subsequent printings? I remember it just stops mid-sentence...
Old 05-27-2018, 02:05 PM   #16
Jim Kane
Banned

TO CLARIFY: The 1st printing (White Lettering) paste-up error on page 12 pf ITL was corrected in the 2nd printing (Yellow Lettering).

1st Printing was: "SWIMMING (1). General swimming ability. This talent also increases your chances of surviving a fall into water, even in armor."

2nd Printing is: SWIMMING (1). General swimming ability. This talent also increases your chances of surviving a fall into water, even in armor. If you fall into water make a saving roll vs. adjDX: 4 dice for a non-swimmer, 2 for a swimmer. A figure with the Diving talent (see below) succeeds automatically.

So the paste-up error was corrected between printings.

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 05-27-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:51 AM   #17
JLV

There was actually a fairly extensive section on drowning and swimming elsewhere in the rules. A cross-reference between the Talent (and the Diving Talent) and that section would have been ENORMOUSLY useful, back in the day... ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:34 AM   #18
Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
There was actually a fairly extensive section on drowning and swimming elsewhere in the rules. A cross-reference between the Talent (and the Diving Talent) and that section would have been ENORMOUSLY useful, back in the day... ;-)
Right! I remember that there was a section that talked about swimming and drowning and rescuing etc. but without my rulebook I can't flip through to see how my memory fits with reality. But I do remember the sentence just cut off in the middle.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:43 AM   #19
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
Right! I remember that there was a section that talked about swimming and drowning and rescuing etc. but without my rulebook I can't flip through to see how my memory fits with reality. But I do remember the sentence just cut off in the middle.
Hi all,
I remember as a new GM looking and looking for the rules on drowning. Finally I found them in the talents!!! For 98% of TFT, the base rules for an environment / situation was in the rules for that environment or situation, and the talents referred to those rules (and usually modified them).

It really irked me that in the case of swimming, important rules were hidden in the talents.

Warm regards, Rick
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:09 AM   #20
Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi all,
I remember as a new GM looking and looking for the rules on drowning. Finally I found them in the talents!!! For 98% of TFT, the base rules for an environment / situation was in the rules for that environment or situation, and the talents referred to those rules (and usually modified them).

It really irked me that in the case of swimming, important rules were hidden in the talents.

Warm regards, Rick
Yes, that did happen, but I remember there was a section on swimming and drowning *not* in the Swimming and Expert Swimming talents, I think, that had an obvious paste up issue, and dropped the info mid-sentence. Maybe it was corrected in 2nd or later printings.

Tags
in the labyrinth, rules, talents