Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 09:56 AM   #1
Shadlith

Default SRD Equivalent

Is there one? Or in the more likely case that there isn't, what's the suggested way to run a campaign online for people who don't have the books? More specifically, the character creation bit with the choosing of the Profession, equipment, Advantages, Spells and such - actually teaching the system/the stuff out of Exploits is stuff I'd be handling verbally 99% of the time anyway.

Running under the assumption that just giving them access to my PDF library is no bueno.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:15 AM   #2
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: SRD Equivalent

The Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game has no equivalent to an SRD at this time.

SJ Games policy is pretty much, "Buy the game to play the game." That's because our model isn't "give away the core rules, sell the add-ons and accessories," but "sell the core rules, there aren't many add-ons or accessories." Thus, handing out the core rules would amount to giving away everything.

I realize that isn't very helpful for those who can't get together to game at the same table. :( Perhaps at some point The Powers That Be will decide to sell Adventurers and Spells as individual PDFs.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:24 AM   #3
Shadlith

Understandable, though I'll admit I was hoping that there'd at least be the templates or spells somewhere publicly accessible.

Alas. I'll figure something out, though admittedly it might just end up being something along the lines of "the only casters are Sorcerers/Saints, and the campaign grimoire is 100% custom made by me." Thank you for the confirmation!
Old 07-21-2020, 10:42 AM   #4
Anders

A "player's bundle" of Adventurers and Spells would make sense.
Old 07-21-2020, 11:12 AM   #5
Imbicatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
A "player's bundle" of Adventurers and Spells would make sense.
Since they are both available via Amazon POD, it doesn’t seem like a stretch to offer them as PDF.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:34 PM   #6
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadlith View Post
Understandable, though I'll admit I was hoping that there'd at least be the templates or spells somewhere publicly accessible.

Alas. I'll figure something out, though admittedly it might just end up being something along the lines of "the only casters are Sorcerers/Saints, and the campaign grimoire is 100% custom made by me." Thank you for the confirmation!
Note that there are a bunch of free stuff, including GURPS Lite which covers the basic rules and GURPS Magic Spell charts which list most of the spells. Have you players download those and you warn them not all of those spells are available in DFRPG as many belong to the wider GURPS line and may not be good for dungeon crawling. For example the Tech and Machine spells and special spells like Teleport.
They will have to ask you for details on spells they want but this should save a lot of back and forth.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 07-22-2020, 03:03 PM   #7
InexplicableVic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
The Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game has no equivalent to an SRD at this time.

SJ Games policy is pretty much, "Buy the game to play the game." That's because our model isn't "give away the core rules, sell the add-ons and accessories," but "sell the core rules, there aren't many add-ons or accessories." Thus, handing out the core rules would amount to giving away everything.

I realize that isn't very helpful for those who can't get together to game at the same table. :( Perhaps at some point The Powers That Be will decide to sell Adventurers and Spells as individual PDFs.
I would love a "Player's Handbook" of sorts that was a hardbound collection of Adventurers, Exploits, and Spells (although perhaps in the order of Adventurers, Spells, and Exploits, since part of Exploits, at least towards the back, is GM-related). I thought I could do that with Lulu, Barnes & Noble, or the other self-printing companies, but alas, I've learned that it's not permissible (even for my own personal use). My paperback copies of those books are getting quite worn (it's good that they get so much use!). A nice hardback that combined all three would be awesome. Maybe SJGames wants to offer such a volume... I'd buy it!
Old 07-23-2020, 09:05 AM   #8
mook

The copyright boilerplate on the DFRPG seems the same as for GURPS books and unless something has changed, having a single hard copy printed for personal use is explicitly granted in the Warehouse 23 FAQ.

Q. Can I have a copy shop print up a copy of a file I bought?

A. Yes, you can have one copy printed for personal use, whether at home or through a copy shop. If the copy shop needs proof that you have permission, you can point them at this page, or write us at orders@warehouse23.com for official permission.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:00 AM   #9
ArchonShiva

He meant merging documents, I think.

Also, a of of print shops have employees way below any decision power who are told not to print anything that looks copyrighted or lose their job, which is not wrong because who is the lowly copy guy to understand the legal rights afforded by company X's PDFs and out the whole chain in hot water?
Old 07-23-2020, 05:18 PM   #10
InexplicableVic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
He meant merging documents, I think.

Also, a of of print shops have employees way below any decision power who are told not to print anything that looks copyrighted or lose their job, which is not wrong because who is the lowly copy guy to understand the legal rights afforded by company X's PDFs and out the whole chain in hot water?
ArchonShiva, this is the exact problem I've had, although I agree with Mook's assessment based on the Warehouse23 FAQ (and I sent them the FAQ reference). Nonetheless, after BookBaby refused to print it, I tried to get SJ Games to approve it, and I had this exchange, pretty much killing the idea. Although I had sent an email to BookBaby pointing them to the FAQ after I got the "Uh Oh, there are problems with your order!" email, this fell off the radar screen once COVID-19 started shutting things down locally about a week after this exchange (so I didn't push it after I got what I essentially deemed to be a rejection from SJ Games). I could always try again with BookBaby, I guess, and put the FAQ reference in the special notes section (if it has one).

But I was bummed out because I think Mook or others had, in the past, gotten a hardcover version of DF 1-16 or something like that.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 9:31 AM
Subject: Re: Permission to Print DFPRG books via a Print Shop
To: Orders <orders@sjgames.com>
Cc: <orders@warehouse23.com>, XXXXXXX

Hello XXXXXXX,

Thank you for reaching out to us about this, but according to their website they are very picky about what they will print and that does not include personal copies of RPG books, they specifically mention that in their content guidelines.
Personal copies: This covers things you may have been given permission by the copyright holder to print a personal copy of, but fall outside of our guidelines. Examples include: your favorite table top game rule book, fan fiction from the internet, your vehicles owner’s manual, an out of print book.

I would recommend going to a local print shop and getting them done in a nice binder with page protectors.

Thank you for supporting SJ Games!

On Tuesday, March 10, 2020 at 5:45:20 PM UTC-5, XXXXXXX wrote:

Hello! I am the proud owner of many SJ Games products, both hardcopy and digital (a lot of GURPS and DFRPG digital files, as well as the DFRPG boxed set, all the kickstarter add ons, etc.). My original DFRPG softcovers are getting a workout from playing about 15-20 times per year, so I decided to combine three PDFs and make a "Player's Handbook" to be printed by bookbaby.com. They have rejected it, presumably thinking it's a copyright violation. Can I get permission to do this? Again, not reselling it at all, this is just for my table when we play. I sent them the email below, directing them to the webpage you have (http://www.warehouse23.com/downloads) that addresses this topic, but I'm not sure how they'll respond. Thanks! --XXXXXXX
Closed Thread