Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-09-2018, 02:59 AM   #1
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Reminder About Tone

We’ve had more than a few reports from people who found posts in this forum to be unfriendly, even hostile. If The Fantasy Trip is going to be a success beyond the single Kickstarter project, it needs to appeal to new fans who don't have 40 years of history with it. Every time an “old hand” posts a message that is dismissive or even rude (whether to a new fan or an old one), it makes those potential new fans less inclined to join the community. Every post here that is exclusionary is another nail in the coffin of TFT before it ever hits market.

Play the game however you want to play it, but accept that other people may very well play it differently, and that's OK. If you can’t accept that, you’re making it a lot harder for us to bring back TFT. This forum can be a valuable resource, but it’s also become a liability.

If you are already being civil, you can help us further by hitting the REPORT button (the red triangle in the bottom left of each post) when you see someone being a jerk. That will help us spot and take down the rude posts, and counsel - or ban! - the rude posters.

Last edited by Andrew Hackard; 07-09-2018 at 07:55 AM. Reason: added a description of the report button
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:30 AM   #2
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Default Re: Reminder About Tone

What Phil said. I entreat you to think about civility before you hit the Send button. Some of these posts we've had really hurt me to read.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #3
guymc

I’ll toss my 2 cents in here as well. More than anything, I want to see a whole new generation of gamers brought to The Fantasy Trip. We old-timers know what a great entry point Melee and Wizard are for gamers. I want to see today’s new crop of potential players have the same kind of reaction I watched happen when Steve first put Melee into the hands of eager young (and old) people who found out how much fun boardgame battle and roleplaying romps can be.

The only way we are going to do this is by making the community as open and inviting as possible. If TFT ends up being just something that a handful of surviving members of First Fandom jealously guard, arguing over every little tweak and personal obsession that they’ve developed for 35 years — just a piece of nostalgia for the Geekiest among us — I’m going to feel like I failed.

(That’s me, gang. Guy McLimore, Game Curmudgeon. “You whippersnappers get off of my hexboard! I was pushing counters and rolling dice when y’all were still rolling on the floor of your nurseries, trying to figure out how to make your DX saving throw to get your grimy toes out of your mouth.”)

TFT has the potential to be the gateway game it always could have been. But to do that I am going to need every one of you grizzled veterans out there to entice in all the newbies you can if we’re going to make a go of this. You are our ambassadors.

The upcoming Kickstarter is, of course, aimed largely at the original fans and the people they have introduced to the game. But it is also the kick off for what we hope could be one of the biggest and most all-inclusive game systems ever marketed. There is the potential to have something for EVERYONE in the TFT family. And in the long run that’s going to mean we’ll have room to take the kind of deep dives that we all enjoy into our favorite games.

But not if we don’t grab a wide and varied audience first, with basic game packages that they can understand and that — more than anything — are instant fun to play.

So here is my challenge to you. Put aside any differences you have in approach and focus. Instead, look outward and use your long-honed skills to bring as many people as possible to TFT at a startup level. You’ve shown a collective enthusiasm that can do wonderful things. I’d love to see you turn that toward what we did in our youth — grabbing everyone who will hold still and showing them how easy and fun it is to get into TFT.

You each look at TFT as something personal and special to you. I get that, more than anyone does, I suppose. Steve created it, but we all feel some ownership by our long association with TFT through the lean years.

As I return to TFT I’ve been overwhelmed with the welcome I’ve received. We understand each other, because we have so much in common and so many emotional ties to the same thing. It feels so good to be among people who share my experiences.

But the most important thing we can do now is pass those experiences on and make TFT an attractive community of players. We’re enthusiasts, so join together and be enthusiastic! Let’s put our efforts into building TFT fever. That effort will result in us having a big community to share and grow with. All of us.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:56 AM   #4
marctabyanan

Good notes, guys.
marctabyanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:42 PM   #5
CJM

Hey Steve and Phil,
I had made some comments in the Melee box cover art thread that I felt was out of line, I went back and reread them...not a proud moment for me. I could of been more constructive and less opinionated about it. So I want to apologize for that and if I hurt anyone's feelings in your crew. Earlier I wanted to make a comment on the thread to say just that but it had been closed. Sometimes it's way to easy to hide behind a computer screen and throw rocks...one thing I hate about this modern era. I'm really glad Phil made this thread so I could do so. Honestly you are all doing a great job...keep up the good work...it will pay off in the end.
Sincerely,
CJM
CJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:47 AM   #6
GlennDoren

Great post, and much needed. Thanks Steve/Phil/Guy.
GlennDoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:28 PM   #7
CardDiceian

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
. If The Fantasy Trip is going to be a success beyond the single Kickstarter project, it needs to appeal to new fans who don't have 40 years of history with it.

Play the game however you want to play it, but accept that other people may very well play it differently, and that's OK.

Very well said - All of it. I've trimmed a couple of really important elements of that initial post.
I'm sure we all want The Fantasy Trip to be a huge Kickstarter & retail success, to give a whole NEW generation that bug.

What would really help at this stage to get behind it, rather than rule tweaking, woudl be to help spread the word on social media and in games communities.

**Is it OK if I start a thread to help push the kickstarter on social media?**
CardDiceian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:09 PM   #8
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Sure. Go for it :)
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:48 PM   #9
Tolenkar

Wow! I go away on vacation for two weeks and miss the juicy stuff. Actually glad I did. I hope we can get back to making TFT the best re-release ever!

Yours in solidarity and kindness,
-Tolenkar
Old 07-25-2018, 02:51 AM   #10
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Adding to the list of "do not do this" on the forums:

Posts all about "I don't like X" and unnecessary grognardery. Please allow others to enjoy what they enjoy. If your post is "well, I don't like what you like," then please don't bother. There's enough negativity in the world without you ruining something that others enjoy.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote