Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 10-06-2020, 07:05 PM   #31
Astromancer

Default Re: Rearranging the setting.

I think the importance of exo-wombs is underplayed in the setting. Medea had a point when she said giving birth to one child was more dangerous than battle. Exo-wombs would massively rewrite society. Who has children with whom and under what circumstances is central to all human societies. Transhuman Space would be far more exotic than any depicted in the books if it really reflected the social effects of exo-wombs.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 03:24 PM   #32
TGLS

I dunno. Ectogenesis is described as something only a minority of parents do (FW26). I credit this more towards the conservatism of the setting more than anything else. The fascination many designers in the setting have with reproduction speaks to the strong memes in favor of "natural birth".

I imagine a THS-like setting where Ectogenesis is extremely popular could range from "no more maternity leave, just parental leave" all the way to a dystopia where only the rich have children. Probably would tend closer to the former.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:31 PM   #33
Astromancer

Cheaper escape from Earth's gravity and thus vastly more people off planet could be fun. Or simply a strong memeplex for leaving the solar system as a means of escaping cultural collapse.

I could see a group using memetics to push humanity off the Earth in order to save the natural environment. Perhaps even the insult comic dolphin could be in on the plot simply to be rid of humans on Earth.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
future history, transhuman space