Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-16-2007, 10:57 AM   #51
vitruvian

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Edit: Besides, in this universe reboot these X-Men are in college, attending Empire State University alongside Peter Parker and pals -- something that never happened in the mainstream Marvel Universe.
I like that, actually. Hey, if Iceman and Spider-Man are both attending ESU, why not add Angelica Jones/Firestar to the roster of X-Academy graduates (maybe a year behind the boys)? It would be a nice shout-out to Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, and nothing's stopping you from doing things this way in your rebooted setting.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:58 AM   #52
Captain-Captain

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031
I must say, Captain, good work. I wasn't planning on bringing any of the Squadron members over into the Reboot, especially not this "early", but this one looks like he might work.

Love the VR Smallville upbringing. It's a nice touch. :)
Thanks. Just an update. I didn't give him Heat Vison. Add 90 pts for Burning Attack 18d and 8 pts for Innate Attack at 21-
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:09 PM   #53
Phantasm

Updated the History section for Human Torch, I still haven't chosen an eye or hair color for him yet. Part of me wants to move the Storms away from the blond, blue-eyed stereotypes.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:27 PM   #54
naloth

Quote:
Naloth, please keep in mind that these are not meant to be direct 100% translations. This is a "Reboot" project. Things will change from the accepted Marvel canon. Think of it as a reimaging of the setting as opposed to listing what is accepted canon.
Ah, I misunderstood... I thought you were placing this at a particular period in canon history with a few liberties.

Quote:
(I have to ask: do you read the History segments, or do you skip straight to the stat block?)
Largely, yes... It was late and I was interested in the character builds.

(I've done builds for many of these myself so it's always interesting to compare and share.)
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:40 PM   #55
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Angel

Advantages: 3D Spatial Sense [10]; Appearance (Handsome) [12]; Charisma 2 [10]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Enhanced Move (Air) 1.5 (Air Move 36/72 mph) (Mutant Biology, -0%) [30]; Fashion Sense [5]; Flight (Winged, -25%; Mutant Biology, +0%) [30]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Independent Income 10 [10]; Status 1 [0]; Wealth (Wealthy; Heir to Filthy Rich) [35].
Just as a point of possible interest: I don't think there's a real value to the designing of characters with the intent that their point value be a round number. I have been known to do the same thing (in my write-ups on the old GoO boards), but I try to stay away from it now, preferring to just assign values that feel right and let the points fall where they may. The tendency to tighten up the design while going back over it in an effort to smooth out the point total can be duplicated with an ordinary review process. JMO... certainly, the aesthetic appeal of round numbers might be reason enough for some.

The Official Handbook is not in my library anymore, and my memory of it is quite vague. I notice that you don't accord Warren many of the advantages normally associated with Flight (particularly at high altitude) such as: Acute and/or Telescopic Vision, Doesn't Breathe, Nictating Membrane, Temperature Tolerance, and Vacuum Support. I imagine at least some of those were left off intentionally... Were they all?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:54 PM   #56
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
Just as a point of possible interest: I don't think there's a real value to the designing of characters with the intent that their point value be a round number. I have been known to do the same thing (in my write-ups on the old GoO boards), but I try to stay away from it now, preferring to just assign values that feel right and let the points fall where they may. The tendency to tighten up the design while going back over it in an effort to smooth out the point total can be duplicated with an ordinary review process. JMO... certainly, the aesthetic appeal of round numbers might be reason enough for some.
For some reason, I find myself drifting towards round numbers a lot more lately. I don't normally flip out if it doesn't round completely, but I've found myself thinking "okay, I can drop another point in this skill, remove two from that skill, and it won't affect much in the long run."

Call it a personal Quirk. :)

Quote:
The Official Handbook is not in my library anymore, and my memory of it is quite vague. I notice that you don't accord Warren many of the advantages normally associated with Flight (particularly at high altitude) such as: Acute and/or Telescopic Vision, Doesn't Breathe, Nictating Membrane, Temperature Tolerance, and Vacuum Support. I imagine at least some of those were left off intentionally... Were they all?
Vacuum Support and Doesn't Breathe were intentionally left off. Nictitating Membrane wasn't mentioned in the Handbook I was working off of (at least, not for Angel; the Archangel entry in Update '89 mentioned it, but I assumed it was an add-on by Apocalypse's restructuring), so I admit to never thinking about it for Angel. The acute and/or telescopic vision I admit I did thnk about, but they weren't mentioned in the Handbook and I couldn't remember anything about him having better-than-average eyesight. Temperature Tolerance never entered my brain.

If I was to go over him again, I might add in Temperature Tolerance for the higher altitudes and some acute/telescopic vision. (Even so, stadium binoculars aren't uncommon, and he's not exactly poor.)

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:25 PM   #57
Phantasm

Before I get into figuring out how I want to work Sue's mundane set, I'd like a few comments on the powerset. I'm primarily interested in two things: Is this a good way to handle her ability to turn others invisible? (If not, suggestions are appreciated.) And do I need to mix Increased Range with the Malediction: Uses Speed/Range Table? (A third question: do you consider her powers, listed in the Handbook as "the mental ability to manipulate ambient cosmic energy for [these effects]" to be Psionic or regular Super?)

Affliction (Invisibility) 1 (Advantage, +400%; Cosmic: Irresistible Attack, +300%; Malediction: Uses Long-Range Table, +200%; Psionic, -10%) [99]

Binding 20 (Invisible Force Fields) (No Signature, +20%; One-Shot, -10%; Requires Concentrate, -15%; Psionic, -10%) [34];

Create Invisible Force Fields 10 (Psionic, -10%) [90];

Crushing Attack 5d (Cone, 2yds, +70%; Damage Modifier: Double Knockback, +20%; Increased Range, x5, +20%; Malediction: Uses Speed/Range Table, +150%; No Signature, +20%; Psionic, -10%) [93]; (a kind of solid force-field slam)

Cutting Attack 5d (Armor Divisor (2), +50%; Malediction: Uses Speed/Range Table, +150%; No Signature, +20%; Psionic, -10%) [109]; (a kind of invisible sword that can fight on its own)

Flight (Low Ceiling: 10 ft, -20%; Psionic, -10%) [28]; (this is usually riding an invisible platform; how would she carry others with her?)

Impaling Attack 5d (Increased Range, x5, +20%; Malediction: Uses Speed/Range Table, +150%; No Signature, +20%; Rapid Fire, RoF 5, +70%; Psionic, -10%) [80]; (her invisible knives)

Invisibility (Affects Machines, +50%; Can Carry Objects: Heavy Encumbrance, +100%; Extended: IR and UV, +40%; Switchable, +10%; Psionic, -10%) [116];

Piercing Attack 5d (Armor Divisor (5), +150%; Increased Range, x10, +30%; Malediction: Uses Speed/Range Table, +150%; No Signature, +20%; Rapid Fire, RoF 10, +100%; Psionic, -10%) [135]. (probably her most lethal attack: invisible bullets)

Old 05-16-2007, 05:26 PM   #58
naloth

Quote:
And do I need to mix Increased Range with the Malediction: Uses Speed/Range Table? (A third question: do you consider her powers, listed in the Handbook as "the mental ability to manipulate ambient cosmic energy for [these effects]" to be Psionic or regular Super?)
No... Malediction uses the range penalty. You can further increase it if you need to, but those mods shouldn't mix. I would consider her a regular (with the same vulnerabilities as her husband since they share the same source/origin).

Quote:
Affliction (Invisibility) 1 (Advantage, +400%; Cosmic: Irresistible Attack, +300%; Malediction: Uses Long-Range Table, +200%; Psionic, -10%) [99]
This is how I would do it.

Quote:
Binding 20 (Invisible Force Fields) (No Signature, +20%; One-Shot, -10%; Requires Concentrate, -15%; Psionic, -10%) [34];
I used TK instead since it's useful for lifting things & supporting as well as grappling.

Quote:
Create Invisible Force Fields 10 (Psionic, -10%) [90];
Not sure what you intend to do with this.

Quote:
Flight (Low Ceiling: 10 ft, -20%; Psionic, -10%) [28]; (this is usually riding an invisible platform; how would she carry others with her?)
How about Affects Others... FWIW I used Walk on Air since she can be knocked off.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:09 PM   #59
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Ant-Man

Perks: Penetrating Voice [1]
Looks like a solid write-up, to me. What's the perk for? Is it related to that retro helmet design he had in his earliest appearances?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:35 AM   #60
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Looks like a solid write-up, to me. What's the perk for? Is it related to that retro helmet design he had in his earliest appearances?
Just guessing, but you'd expect a guy who is insect sized to be hard to hear. The Perk just covers his being able to be heard by his team mates without having to enlarge.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men