Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 10-14-2011, 02:29 AM   #41
The Colonel

Default Re: Your, best WTF moment in gaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Cade View Post
Yup. Insufficient twist to stabilize the longer heavier projectile so it goes ass over teakettle.

Tech Talk: "Twist Rate" is the distance a bullet travels down the barrel in order to complete one complete rotation. It is usually expressed as "1:X" with X being inches.

Longer,heavier spitzer shaped bullets need faster twist rates in order to stabilize.....and now the fun begins. :-)

Early M16 rifles (and other weapons like the Daewoo K2) had 1:12 twists which while fine for the 55gr bullets of their era, won't stabilize the modern, heavier 62gr and causes them to tumble in flight.

This is especially fun in Twilight:2000.
I can see a nasty "they're using dum-dums" scenario resulting from this...
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:45 PM   #42
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

I have to say my WTF gaming moment of the greatest possible magnitude was reading about the mature, no-nonsense practical sophomore girl I had I gamed with my freshman year who had gone on to put a Dr in front of her name (large animal vet), risen to the top of a worldwide gaming fandom, and then had the stones to use the fanclub's budget to sue the publisher for control of some of their intellectual property when she didn't agree with the direction they were taking. Talk about trying to Dominate your sire!

About once a year I google her to see if she's tried to take one of 4H's H's home with her.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:50 AM   #43
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.

We were in front of a heavily warded door, with many magical traps, we had no rogue types in our party (D&D), but we had a druid, and he had a brilliant ideas.

Im gonna summon a gorilla to open the door, we spent whole minutes laughing and wondering if it would be against his druidic ways in someway, in the end the gorilla exploded on touching the door tho.
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:35 AM   #44
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by D10 View Post
... we had a druid, and he had a brilliant idea.
We were a high-level AD&D1e party, and a druid had decided to come down the dungeon to see what she could do. And she decided to open a door with Turn Wood, a spell that sets all inanimate wooden objects moving inexorably away over a wide front - the classical use is to repel siege towers in large quantity.

We had no idea that the room beyond the door was lined with wooden bookcases, although there was rather a lot of noise after the spell went off. The inhabitant was some kind of demonologist, who'd noted our presence and started summoning something horrible to chase us away. But his own bookcases swept him out of his protective symbols to where the thing he was summoning could chow down on him, then crushed his corpse against the opposite wall.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:00 AM   #45
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
We had no idea that the room beyond the door was lined with wooden bookcases, although there was rather a lot of noise after the spell went off. The inhabitant was some kind of demonologist, who'd noted our presence and started summoning something horrible to chase us away. But his own bookcases swept him out of his protective symbols to where the thing he was summoning could chow down on him, then crushed his corpse against the opposite wall.
That's not a WTF moment. That's a Crowning Moment of Awesome Seredipity.

Huzzah!!

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:59 AM   #46
William

I've told this story elsewhere but it seems to fit here as well. Looking back at the logs, I seem to have nonplussed my fellow players -- so perhaps it was a WTF moment for them.

My character was a citified, bookish, and quite rigid lawyer wizard -- Fraternity of Order, if you know the setting. Good kid, very obedient, air genasi. Desperately wanted to earn a place in the djinn society of his grandfather. He didn't date much, so his family betrothed him, which he was quite happy with.

Until he met his intended's guard captain, and they decided to elope (the intended approved). This would be slightly less weird if said guard captain was humanoid, but instead we have the glorious image of a thin-of-arm, blue-skinned, slim young humanoid wizard, in a mutually adoring marriage with a brawling, swordswinging, woodcrafty ranger centauress.

They're thinking about kids. He's been seen with a copy of Hadid the Life-Wielder's "Improving the Handiwork of the Gods: On the Generation and Care of Hybrids, Chimeras, and Crossbreeds."
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:43 AM   #47
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
I've told this story elsewhere but it seems to fit here as well. Looking back at the logs, I seem to have nonplussed my fellow players -- so perhaps it was a WTF moment for them.

My character was a citified, bookish, and quite rigid lawyer wizard -- Fraternity of Order, if you know the setting. Good kid, very obedient, air genasi. Desperately wanted to earn a place in the djinn society of his grandfather. He didn't date much, so his family betrothed him, which he was quite happy with.

Until he met his intended's guard captain, and they decided to elope (the intended approved). This would be slightly less weird if said guard captain was humanoid, but instead we have the glorious image of a thin-of-arm, blue-skinned, slim young humanoid wizard, in a mutually adoring marriage with a brawling, swordswinging, woodcrafty ranger centauress.

They're thinking about kids. He's been seen with a copy of Hadid the Life-Wielder's "Improving the Handiwork of the Gods: On the Generation and Care of Hybrids, Chimeras, and Crossbreeds."
LOL That made my lunch!
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #48
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
The eggs incident was like that.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:47 AM   #49
Jürgen Hubert

Yesterday's session:

The PCs had captured some bandits and wanted to sell them as slaves.

That wasn't the WTF moment. After all, this was Dark Sun and the bandits had captured some villagers and planned to sell them as slaves.

The WTF moment occurred during the trip to the next lager town. One of the PCs, secretly a preserver mage, beat the prisoners with a club and withheld food and water privileges until they answered every question with "yes, master" or "no, master". During the whole procedure he kept smiling and always had calm and pleasant tone in his voice...

Wasn't really disruptive to the game, but it was unexpected.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:00 AM   #50
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danukian View Post
According to one option from an old Dungeon magizine from the late 80's/early 90's: You turn the universe inside out, Game Over.
It shouldn't be that easy to destroy the universe, or else some death cults would have done that already.

Tags
bad player, gaming, gun, wtf