Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #11
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Do you have a favorite genre for gaming?

What I've played the most, had the greatest success with, and probably am most skilled at GMing is kitchen-sink, hack 'n' slash fantasy that's all about fighting, gear, and level-ups.

What I enjoy the most is modern-day thrillers where commandos, corporate security, detectives, mercenaries, spies, terrorists, thieves, etc. are all in the mix and engaging in endless burglary, deceit, scheming, and silent killing, enabled by prodigious training, dubious techno-wizardry, and sheer audacity.

What I would secretly like to try the most is dirty sci-fi that's part Aliens, with its marines and bug-hunts, and part Borderlands, with its crapsack world and decay. It would specifically have to sweep the details of space travel and spacecraft under the carpet – "You travel for X days and get there. Now the story starts." – because I've played a crapton of space SF and found it utterly, brutally unengaging.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #12
Peter Knutsen
Banned

I find spaceships extremely fascinating, but for fun gaming, they need to be customizable and upgradable, and I've yet to come across a good ship RPG system that can handle that. Even my own, non-simulative point-based system copes quite badly with upgrades to existing ships.

A playable solution would define ships as having slots, with most of those slots already occupied, with with potential for taking out occupying items and instead putting in other items that are somehow different, either better in general (e.g. representing a more expensive module, or a higher-TL module) or just different (e.g. a sensor that's not particularly long-ranged, but is much better at detecting space stealth).
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #13
ULFGARD

I've been associated with a group off and on for 20 years now. At no time has there not been a fantasy game as the mainstay -- usually fairly traditional "mid-level" swords and sorcery with nods both to the cinematic and a realistic world. However, we have often had ongoing space games, and have occasionally done pulp and MH-style horror.

So the obvious answer is FANTASY.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #14
johndallman
Night Watchman

Secret history seems to be the linking quality in the games I enjoy most. They've all involved psi or magic in a historical setting that wasn't aware of them.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:44 PM   #15
Randyman

Cinematic recent past (Victorian; relatively speaking) to near future, up to and including supers.

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:00 PM   #16
Not another shrubbery

Supers. I'll play just about anything else, but it's all secondary.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:36 PM   #17
ThatMusicWriter

I'm a big fan of noir games in which each PC works for their own benefit. You can come up with some great mysteries with tragic endings that way.
ThatMusicWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:14 PM   #18
Brandy

I run mostly Fantasy (GURPS) and Supers (Hero).

My fantasy games tend to involved settled lands, not wilderness and favor a mix of political intrigue, conspiracy, and adventure. They really took off when I stopped going for "gritty realism" (which *I* would still prefer) and shifted to "action-movie heroism" (which my players have enjoyed much more).

My Supers games have been built around the regional super-team. It tends to be more episodic than my fantasy games, but there have been some memorable multi-episode storylines.

I'll play anything I can find a seat for. (The only game I ever abandoned was a d20 Modern bait-and-switch that took us unexpectedly into the Matrix. Not a great fit for the social engineer.)
Old 01-17-2014, 06:11 PM   #19
b-dog

I like Dungeon Fantasy with a lot horror stuff tossed in. But I also love Cyber Punk and Gamma World as well.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:46 PM   #20
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

I've never gamed anything else on tabletop, but I'm not greatly interested in doing so:

Hack and slash fantasy. Knights, wizards, rangers, and morally-upright thieves band together in small groups, kill monsters, collect treasure, and grow in power.

Animal-themed PC races preferred over the standard set, though I have my favorites there too. I love half-race characters (both parents non-human if possible), small-sized races, and mighty warriors.

I like furries so much I could almost be convinced to play outside my genre of choice to be one in a game.

Tags
gaming, genre