Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-26-2020, 06:35 PM   #11
NineDaysDead
Banned

Default Re: Superhumans Awakening [Powers/Supers]

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
I would take it one less step further (read what I did there? :D) and put the list like this:

Character points for powers = Population in the world

1-50 CP = 449,981,696
51-150 CP = 50,831,808
151-300 CP = 5,113,984
301-500 CP = 298,832
501-750 CP = 21,436
751-1,000 CP = 2,028
1,001-1,250 CP = 204
1,251 CP+ = 12
I'm not clear on how you're getting those numbers?
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:11 PM   #12
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
What makes you think an Amazing item would change the world?
Instead of a TL 12 Amazing item; here are some TL 10 ones (I think they all qualify as complex or less):

Artery Cleaners [0] slows down HT loss due to aging.

Nano-Bacteriophages give Immunity to Known Bacteria [5]

Blood Cops give Longevity [2] and Resistant to Metabolic Hazards (+8) [15].

Carcinophages give permanent Immunity to Cancer [5] and Extended Lifespan 1 [2].

Virus Hunters give Immunity to Known Viruses [5]

You've cured Cancer and pretty much Disease in general, massively increased lifespan, and probably destroyed every pension plan and medical insurance scheme in the world!
Old 01-26-2020, 07:38 PM   #13
AlexanderHowl

Gadgeteer is a cinematic advantage, similar to Trained By a Master, so I would not consider it a legal advantage for abilities, especially since there is no example of such abilities in Powers or Supers (though they could be limited, just not enhanced). Anyway, mass producing TL9 mininukes would change life a lot more, as a mass produced $120,000 1 kiloton nuke would change the geopolitical situation a lot more than practically any other invention. Imagine Tehran those little beauties on their 6,000 long-range cruise missiles, it would only cost $720 million, not even 0.2% of their nominal GDP.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:52 PM   #14
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
I'm not clear on how you're getting those numbers?
There is no formula. I took your numbers and played with them. Then I decided to make the total amount of people at 1.2k+ equal 12, then made each row above that a power of 12. Then I added in the remaining amount to make the total amount equal to what you had.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:32 PM   #15
dataweaver

Bear in mind that the political situation has already been radically changed: even before the first superhumans start manifesting their powers, one out of every eight people in the world is dead: for every superhuman you get, you also get two corpses. That, in and of itself, is going to be highly disruptive. Is it uniformly distributed across the world? Unlikely. More likely, it originated in one country which will tend to be the most affected by the epidemic.

Because supers are intimately linked to these mass deaths, that's also going to affect peoples' reaction to them. Expect reactions more like what you see for the X-Men rather than the Avengers: a combination of resentment and fear. If it turns out that the supers aren't inherently stable (e.g., powers tend to run out of control, or have harmful side effects), that will only make matters worse. But even if the powers are stable, there will be a lot of lingering fear that they aren't, and that the superhumans are ticking time bombs. One or two instances of a superpowered terrorist or accident, and everything goes south, fast.

More totalitarian governments will seek to co-opt the superhumans in their populations, or destroy them. Even the more democratic governments will feel pressure from their citizens to regulate the superhumans. As well, the effort to fight the epidemic will likely result in governments becoming more authoritarian: even in the best of circumstances, they'll end up taking on additional powers for the duration of the emergency; and once a government has acquired power, it tends not to give it up.

Last edited by dataweaver; 01-26-2020 at 11:44 PM.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 02:11 AM   #16
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
There is no formula. I took your numbers and played with them. Then I decided to make the total amount of people at 1.2k+ equal 12, then made each row above that a power of 12. Then I added in the remaining amount to make the total amount equal to what you had.
I didn't choose those numbers, I was just following AlexanderHowl's formula, to make it clear what the numbers are.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:57 AM   #17
Malfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Gadgeteer is a cinematic advantage, similar to Trained By a Master, so I would not consider it a legal advantage for abilities, especially since there is no example of such abilities in Powers or Supers (though they could be limited, just not enhanced). Anyway, mass producing TL9 mininukes would change life a lot more, as a mass produced $120,000 1 kiloton nuke would change the geopolitical situation a lot more than practically any other invention. Imagine Tehran those little beauties on their 6,000 long-range cruise missiles, it would only cost $720 million, not even 0.2% of their nominal GDP.
Yeah I don't think super power Inventor would fit what you the OP is going for. You should also try and decide what short of powers they manifest. What the limits of said power are. Personally I think Gurps: Powers is enough of a starting point, you don't need to go the Gurps:Supers road, at least where unusual background for max damage/dr are relevant.
Malfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 05:22 AM   #18
Aldric

You could still get some tech improvements even with just someone getting very high IQ, it would just not be as fast, and ^ stuff doesn't really have fixed TL.

But the short answer to the OP question is probably Chaos.

The long answer starts the same way and adds "more Chaos then there was again because of all the deaths"
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:07 AM   #19
AlexanderHowl

How much of an impact on society do you think would occur because of 1 billion people dying in a year? I know that the medical systems would break under the strain (2.5% of a population dying in a year would break most medical systems, and we are talking 5x as many people) and that the funeral system would likewise break for similar reasons. The restriction on trade and movement caused by the quarantine systems would cause their own trauma, as the global economic system would likely shatter (for example, the 'just in time' delivery system cannot function if every shipment is searched for sick undocumented immigrants).

Other than shopping for the basic necessities and emergency visits, I also imagine that a lot of people would stop going into public, even in areas with successful quarantines. Since any nation that successfully quarantined would lack the resulting superhumans, avoiding the trauma of the plague would, paradoxically, weaken it after the fact. For example, imagine the strategic advantage of a telepath with 501+ CP worth of abilities (~610 in the USA alone), and the strategic disadvantage experienced by any nation without appropriate countermeasures.

Since we expect more success at quarantine among centralized and totalitarian governments, we will assume that China manages to restrict exposure to 25%, the nations of Africa to 75%, and the other nations ranging between the two extremes. We will assume the USA is average exposure (50%) because of its dysfunctional health care system and decentralized public health measures, though that would likely vary from state-to-state. More densely populated states would likely be less successful than less densely populated states at quarantine, so New Jersey might approach 75% exposure while Alaska might approach 25% exposure.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:29 AM   #20
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
I didn't choose those numbers, I was just following AlexanderHowl's formula, to make it clear what the numbers are.
Ah, you are right, he posted the percentage value while you posted the numeric value. I didn't spot his values.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supers