Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-25-2007, 02:58 PM   #91
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Updated Mister Fantastic and Spider-Man. And, as you can see by the previous post, gave a version of the Thing.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:43 PM   #92
lordbrutish

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031
Human Torch

Advantages: Burning Attack (Nova-Burst) 10d (Aura, +80%; Inaccurate –3, -15%; Increased Range (x10), +30%; Elemental: Heat/Fire, -10%; Super, -10%) [88]
I realize you're not exactly going for canon here but there are still a couple of problems with this.

First, he probably does need to have a small burning attack with Aura that is NOT part of the alternate attacks array to represent his flame sheath. Probably need to add some advantage to that to make it possible for him to partially disable it without completely turning it off (e.g. the example you cite in your rationale for not using Alt form).

Second, I don't think Aura + Inaccurate + Inc Range are what you are shooting for here. Those enhancements are mutually incompatible. You probably want Area Effect + Emanation. Also, shouldn't Nova Burst have some additional limits on it? In the FF comics I've read, using it always seems to drain him pretty thoroughly. Maybe Costs Fatigue, Limited Uses and/or Takes Recharge?
lordbrutish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:40 PM   #93
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Iron Man

Advantages: Signature Gear: Iron Man Battlesuit [32]
Skills: <SNIP>

Iron Man's Battlesuit
Iron Man's Battlesuit grants the following abilities:
  • Lifting ST +285 (70 ton range)
  • Striking ST +285
  • Damage Resistance 140/100 *
  • Super-Jump 3
  • Flight
  • Enhanced Move (Air) 6 (Mach 2)
  • Invisibility (Visual Spectrum Only; Switchable)
  • Obscure (Radar)
  • Radar (Multi-Mode)
* First number indicates DR of the torso, the second number is the DR of the extremities.

With helmet in place, the suit also grants:
  • Doesn't Breathe (12 hours)
  • Enhanced Tracking 9
  • Hyperspectral Vision
  • Protected Hearing
  • Protected Vision
  • Protected Smell
  • Sealed
  • Vacuum Support
Built-in weapons include:
  • Repulsor: 5d (5) burn sur, Acc 6, Range 10/100, RoF 2, Shots N/A
  • Pulsor: 1d (5) burn sur per 20 yards, max 7d (5) burn sur, Acc 6, Range 140, Min Range 20, RoF 2, Shots N/A.
  • Omni-Beam: 10d (10) burn, Acc 3, Range 200/2000, RoF 1, Shots N/A. The Omni-Beam can be adjusted to be a Cone 10 yards wide at 1/2D range. It can also double as a spotlight in both visible and infrared wavelengths.
An impressive character sheet! It looks like you mixed in elements from various points in his heroic career. Did you consider using Wildcard skills? They would certainly make the skill list shorter, and might even save a few points. Speaking of which: You fit the battlesuit into a SigGear trait? That might be carrying point-shaving a little too far (no offense intended). I would probably have made the thing gadget based with a superscience power modifier. What made you decide to go with burn for the Repulsor Rays?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:18 PM   #94
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
An impressive character sheet! It looks like you mixed in elements from various points in his heroic career. Did you consider using Wildcard skills? They would certainly make the skill list shorter, and might even save a few points. Speaking of which: You fit the battlesuit into a SigGear trait? That might be carrying point-shaving a little too far (no offense intended). I would probably have made the thing gadget based with a superscience power modifier. What made you decide to go with burn for the Repulsor Rays?
I considered Wildcards, but after doing some math I found the point spread to be about the same.

As for the Signature Gear, this is something that he can loan, get stolen from him, etc, and can possibly be mass-produced should someone else get hold of a suit or the plans for it. (To be honest, I'm not that big a fan of building mass-producable gear as gadget-based advantages with a bunch of Links; call it a quirk of mine.) I priced the Iron Man suit as a Battlesuit from the main book before factoring in the TL modifiers.

I modeled the repulsors as blasters; notice they have "burn sur" as their damage type. Not entirely sure that's the best way to handle them, but it seems to work.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:25 PM   #95
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordbrutish
First, he probably does need to have a small burning attack with Aura that is NOT part of the alternate attacks array to represent his flame sheath. Probably need to add some advantage to that to make it possible for him to partially disable it without completely turning it off (e.g. the example you cite in your rationale for not using Alt form).

Second, I don't think Aura + Inaccurate + Inc Range are what you are shooting for here. Those enhancements are mutually incompatible. You probably want Area Effect + Emanation. Also, shouldn't Nova Burst have some additional limits on it? In the FF comics I've read, using it always seems to drain him pretty thoroughly. Maybe Costs Fatigue, Limited Uses and/or Takes Recharge?
Good points there. I'll take a look at some stuff to see what I can come up with based on those.

I'll be honest, because of the variety of stunts available, the Human Torch, Iceman, Invisible Woman, and Marvel Girl are the four I'm not satisfied with. I've still got Thor and Wasp to cook up yet, then I'll take another look at Torch.

Old 05-26-2007, 02:52 AM   #96
Dormammu

Quote:
Updated Mister Fantastic and Spider-Man. And, as you can see by the previous post, gave a version of the Thing.
Reed's IQ is so higher than 15. Seriously. If there is any notion that 15 is humanly possible, he is clearly beyond the bounds of realistic IQ. In fact, I'd go so far as to say his IQ should be at least as extreme as Spidey's DX (which you have at 18).

Buying down his Per really far also strikes me odd: one of Reed's most common schticks is not only figuring things out through scientific knowledge but by way of his nearly inhuman observation skills.
Dormammu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:45 PM   #97
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Marvel Girl

Advantages: Flight (Mutant Psionic, -10%) [36]; Walk on Air (Mutant Psionic, -10%) [18].
You kept her power suite very close to Sue's. I do remember times when it was hard to tell the difference between them :/ Why both Flight and Walk On Air? Were you planning on attaching more modifiers to one or the other to make them more distinguishable?
Old 05-28-2007, 12:48 PM   #98
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Mister Fantastic

Attributes: IQ 15 [100]
Advantages: Lightning Calculator [2]; Mathematical Ability 4 [40]; Morph (Cosmetic, -50%; Super, -10%) [40]; Reputation (Smartest Man Alive) 4 (Almost Everyone, All the Time) [20]
Skills: Astronomy/TL8 (H) IQ+5 [8] – 20*; Chemistry/TL8 (H) IQ-1 [2] – 14; Computer Operation/TL8 (E) IQ [1] – 15; Computer Programming/TL8 (H) IQ [4] – 15; Electronics Operation/TL8 (Scientific) (A) IQ+1 [4] – 16; Engineer/TL8 (Aerospace) (H) IQ+5 [8] – 20*; Mathematics/TL8 (Applied) (H) IQ+5 [8] – 20*; Mathematics/TL8 (Pure) (H) IQ+5 [8] – 20*; Physics/TL8 (VH) IQ+5 [12] – 20*; Spacer/TL8 (E) IQ [1] – 15; Teaching (A) IQ-1 [1] – 14; Vacc Suit/TL8 (A) DX-1 [1] – 11; Weird Science (VH) IQ [8] – 15; Wrestling (A) DX+2 [8] – 14.
Heh... I can imagine there might be more complaints about the IQ. I take it that this might be a cap on normal human IQ in your vision of Marvel continuity? Certainly skills and Talents can reflect greater knowledge as well, though I would have thought that the Science! bang skill would have been appropriate for him. I like the idea of the Reputation *g* You seem to have shortchanged his morphing ability, as I remember it. Intentionally, or do you think Cosmetic Morph is a better fit?
Old 05-29-2007, 12:33 PM   #99
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Spider-Man

Attributes: ST 110 (Super, -10%) [900]; DX 18 (Super, -10%) [144]; IQ 14 [80]; HT 12 [20].
Secondary Characteristics: Basic Speed 7.5 [0]; Basic Move 7 [0].
Advantages: Binding (Webbing) 20 (Biological, -10%; Alternative Attack, x1/5) [8]; Create Webbing 5 (Biological, -10%) [18]; Enhanced Time Sense (Super, -10%) [41]; Super Jump 5 (Super, -10%) [45]
Quirks: Prattles Incessantly In Combat [-1].
A pretty conservative build, for the most part. I'd probably tweak the attribute levels a bit (ST and IQ down, DX and HT up), but no big deal (and it is your vision, anyway). It's a shame you didn't decide to include a higher Speed (always one of the things I look for on write-ups of him). The Binding looks weak, but I noticed you kept Bobby's low also, so I assume it is a campaign level decision. Dunno about the Create... what is it supposed to model? Good call on the ETS. It's not something I would have thought of, but it makes a good fit. The Super Jump looks kinda high: By my calculations it comes out to about an 85' high jump and a 352' standing broad jump (or double those, for running jumps). If that's the level you want (or even if you want to change it), the optional Jumping rules from Basic p352 make sense for someone (like Spider-Man) who has a very high BL to body weight ratio. Those rules would give him the nearly the equivalent of SJ 2, before buying any actual levels of that advantage. The Quirk fits, of course... did you think about using a form of Rapier Wit for it?
Old 05-29-2007, 03:13 PM   #100
Phantasm

Poking my head in while I hammer out Thor's stats. One thing I found interesting is that Marvel seems to have reversed the basic temperaments of Thor and Hercules, so don't expect a "classic" Marvel Thor write-up.

Re: Marvel Girl:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
You kept her power suite very close to Sue's. I do remember times when it was hard to tell the difference between them :/ Why both Flight and Walk On Air? Were you planning on attaching more modifiers to one or the other to make them more distinguishable?
The powers do tend to be very close in utility, true. As for Walk on Air, I... can't remember why I gave it to her. The points probably could be spent elsewhere easily.

Last edited by Phantasm; 09-23-2007 at 06:57 PM.

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men