Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-14-2014, 06:52 PM   #41
jason taylor

Default Re: Sex Appeal and Erotic Arts

Couldn't EA be a good skill for a fey-lover to have in a fantasy? If the fey was an infinite years experienced immortal or had the skill innately it would be a fairly PG13 Unusual Background to explain it.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:41 PM   #42
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

If I were making a true-to-concept elf character with a centuries-spanning marriage and had reason to believe his skill at lovemaking was relevant, I'd totally drop a handful of points in Erotic Art. But the kinds of characters I'd be inclined to do that with would come in pairs, and their skill levels would be useful exclusively for noting how good they are at pleasing each other in bed.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:04 PM   #43
SimonAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
If I were making a true-to-concept elf character with a centuries-spanning marriage and had reason to believe his skill at lovemaking was relevant, I'd totally drop a handful of points in Erotic Art. But the kinds of characters I'd be inclined to do that with would come in pairs, and their skill levels would be useful exclusively for noting how good they are at pleasing each other in bed.
I think you could buy that as a one task wonder perk from GURPS power ups. This would grant you Erotic Art at HT and with the +4 from familiarity with your partner, you'd plausibly have an effective skill of 14 or more for that lover.
SimonAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:07 PM   #44
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonAce View Post
I think you could buy that as a one task wonder perk from GURPS power ups. This would grant you Erotic Art at HT and with the +4 from familiarity with your partner, you'd plausibly have an effective skill of 14 or more for that lover.
But wouldn't that be for only one specific sexual act? Talk about Hidebound!

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:12 PM   #45
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
But wouldn't that be for only one specific sexual act? Talk about Hidebound!

Bill Stoddard
No, merely for one other character
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:15 PM   #46
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
This is not even remotely an area in which I am knowledgeable, and I will probably regret asking but... how important should novelty be to Erotic Art? The best I can do is compare and contrast it to other "pleasures". The "same old same old" can indeed get boring, but unless the other party is something of a connoisseur should they really become familiar to the point of lessening enjoyment that quickly? Would a Hidebound chef suffer penalties that quickly for pleasing a particular customer?
I think I would say that novelty is somewhat important to Erotic Art, not so much in the sense of being wildly creative or innovative, but in the sense of not having the exact same stereotyped sequence of techniques every single time. But on the other hand, Erotic Art is not the only thing that's important to a satisfactory sexual relationship. What GURPS calls "basic sexual technique" can be just fine if done with the right emotional attitude.

Bill Stoddard
Old 04-14-2014, 10:20 PM   #47
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
No, merely for one other character
The perk definition says

There’s one specific trick you can do with a particular skill . . . without knowing the skill! This can’t be the skill’s primary use, a combat move, or anything done at a penalty.

That clearly seems to exclude anything as broad as "everything that gives pleasure to a particular partner." It has to be a specific erotic trick. And it can't be coitus, because that's a primary use of Erotic Art for many people.

Bill Stoddard
Old 04-14-2014, 10:25 PM   #48
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonAce View Post
Neither do my players as I do not think this with a few exceptions is a major part of any of their lives. A few are married or in LTR's of one kind or another but the verve and friction doesn't seem to model into gaming.
I have seen a lot of my players roleplay sexual activities and pursuits that are not part of their lives. This is fantasy gaming, after all! I've seen monogamous players play characters who play around, or who are entering into new relationships; straight players play gay characters (and vice versa); players of one sex play characters of the other sex; pairs of players who definitely aren't interested in each other play pairs of characters who are. I don't think it's really very different from people who don't get into fights playing characters who do.

Bill Stoddard
Old 04-15-2014, 04:13 PM   #49
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I have seen a lot of my players roleplay sexual activities and pursuits that are not part of their lives. This is fantasy gaming, after all! I've seen monogamous players play characters who play around, or who are entering into new relationships; straight players play gay characters (and vice versa); players of one sex play characters of the other sex; pairs of players who definitely aren't interested in each other play pairs of characters who are. I don't think it's really very different from people who don't get into fights playing characters who do.

Bill Stoddard
Sounds very much like a "Your Mileage May Vary" kind of thing. Factors to consider are how immersed players are in the game as well as how they respond to both the same stimuli and to different ones. One player might easily become very aroused through two others engaging in sexually charged banter, while the excitement achieved through having his character vanquish his foes in combat is experienced in a far different manner.

Some players can easily slip into fantasy, which is both a blessing and a curse. For some, a player "talking sexy" may be quite arousing (or nauseating as the case may be), and if that isn't what they want out of a game (or if it is but it results in certain negatives), that becomes a problem... just like the guy that gets worked up over combat to the point that whether his character is involved or on the sidelines, he's flushed, quivering with excitement, and barely able to restrain himself from hitting something (or someone).

One should also consider different worldviews and ethical systems, both in character actions and in the kinds of stimuli to which one may acceptably be exposed.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:54 PM   #50
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
One should also consider different worldviews and ethical systems, both in character actions and in the kinds of stimuli to which one may acceptably be exposed.
Well, there is that. My players have been a mix of atheists, agnostic, and pagans, for the most part—for example, one of my former players is currently a practicing shaman.

Bill Stoddard

Tags
erotic art, sex appeal