Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-19-2014, 11:46 AM   #21
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Enthrallment using Sex Appeal

Sure, you can do that - but it would be a house rule (which is cool!). But by RAW, Requires Sex Appeal is Requires IQ roll for -10%; since Mind Control already requires an IQ roll to use, making it based off of Sex Appeal is a +0% Feature.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:56 AM   #22
Beguiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Sure, you can do that - but it would be a house rule (which is cool!). But by RAW, Requires Sex Appeal is Requires IQ roll for -10%; since Mind Control already requires an IQ roll to use, making it based off of Sex Appeal is a +0% Feature.
So If I'm reading what you're saying right, it wouldn't effect point cost to switch Sex Appeal with IQ? That doesn't make any sense to me... Sex Appeal's usage is limited to people who are attracted to your sex, which is effectively -20% according to Accessibility. Switch IQ roll for a Sex Appeal roll may be a +0% Feature, but implication of Sex Appeal's limited usage isn't.

Sorry if I'm making it more complicated or reading to deeply into it, it's just how I interpret the rules is what makes sense to me.
Beguiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #23
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beguiler View Post
So If I'm reading what you're saying right, it wouldn't effect point cost to switch Sex Appeal with IQ? That doesn't make any sense to me... Sex Appeal's usage is limited to people who are attracted to your sex, which is effectively -20% according to Accessibility. Switch IQ roll for a Sex Appeal roll may be a +0% Feature, but implication of Sex Appeal's limited usage isn't.

Sorry if I'm making it more complicated or reading to deeply into it, it's just how I interpret the rules is what makes sense to me.
Actually, I'm incorrect. I keep thinking Sex Appeal is an IQ roll - it's not - it's HT. So you'd need Based on HT, Own Roll (+20%) first and then basing it on Sex Appeal would a feature.

Become a Patron!
Old 01-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #24
Beguiler

Quote:
Actually, I'm incorrect. I keep thinking Sex Appeal is an IQ roll - it's not - it's HT. So you'd need Based on HT, Own Roll (+20%) first and then basing it on Sex Appeal would a feature.
Well, okay. Personally I'd want to bundle it as (Based on HT, Own Roll (+20%), Only Works On Those Sexually Attracted (-20%), Requires Sex Appeal Roll (+0%)) for a total of +0%. It just makes sense to me since Sex Appeal only works on those who are sexually attracted to you that there should be the appropriate -20% Accessibility limitation, unless that's somehow already included in the +0% feature of Requires Sex Appeal Roll.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #25
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beguiler View Post
Well, okay. Personally I'd want to bundle it as (Based on HT, Own Roll (+20%), Only Works On Those Sexually Attracted (-20%), Requires Sex Appeal Roll (+0%)) for a total of +0%. It just makes sense to me since Sex Appeal only works on those who are sexually attracted to you that there should be the appropriate -20% Accessibility limitation, unless that's somehow already included in the +0% feature of Requires Sex Appeal Roll.
You could do that to make it so that it only works on the opposite gender. So you'd need something like:

Mind Control (Accessibility, Only on those attracted to your gender, -20%; Based on HT, Own Roll, +20%; Mind Tricks, -30%) [35]

Become a Patron!
Old 01-19-2014, 12:27 PM   #26
B9anders

You'll probably be wanting to add some Exposure Time limitations on it too. And At least one of vision or hearing based, given that the victim needs to be aware of you for it to work.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:31 PM   #27
Beguiler

Quote:
You could do that to make it so that it only works on the opposite gender. So you'd need something like:

Mind Control (Accessibility, Only on those attracted to your gender, -20%; Based on HT, Own Roll, +20%; Mind Tricks, -30%) [35]
That's what I've been trying to express, thank you! I'd still want it triggered by a Sex Appeal roll, and written as such:

Mind Control (Accessibility, Only on those with the sexual orientation to be attracted to your gender, -20%; Based on HT, Sex Appeal Roll, +20%; Mind Tricks, -30%) [35].

Just to be politically correct, ya know? ;)
Old 01-19-2014, 12:39 PM   #28
whswhs

Quote:
Yes, but that's for substituting Sex Appeal for IQ. Substituting it for Public Speaking is not the same issue. That's just replacing one prerequisite skill with another, and replacing prerequisites is usually below the resolution of the point cost system.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #29
Beguiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by B9anders View Post
You'll probably be wanting to add some Exposure Time limitations on it too. And At least one of vision or hearing based, given that the victim needs to be aware of you for it to work.
Mind Control (Accessibility, Only on those with the sexual orientation to be attracted to your gender, -20%; Based on HT, Sex Appeal Roll, +20%; Mind Tricks, -30%; Sense-Based, Vision and Hearing Only, -15%; Exposure Time, 1 Minute, -30%) [12].

That sound about right?

Last edited by Beguiler; 01-19-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:45 PM   #30
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Yes, but that's for substituting Sex Appeal for IQ. Substituting it for Public Speaking is not the same issue. That's just replacing one prerequisite skill with another, and replacing prerequisites is usually below the resolution of the point cost system.

Bill Stoddard
We're talking about Mind Control - not Enthrallment skills, in which case is it doesn't use Public Speaking - it's using RAW IQ.

Become a Patron!

Tags
enthrallment, sex appeal