Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
Anders

Default Re: Harkwood - character points and players less-than-fluent in the language

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans View Post
You wrote the book(s), so I had better listen to you, but I might still try to get by with 200 points and giving out 4-6 per session.
There's DF on the cheap, here. But I think the general lesson is that a campaign is a compromise between the players and the GM. Everyone is supposed to have a good time (of course, sometimes the players - or the GM - say "surprise me", but that is probably not the norm). So if it's really important to the players to get Legolas (or Raistlin, or whomever) you may have to give in on that point. Playing alone isn't much fun.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #12
trans

Default Re: Harkwood - character points and players less-than-fluent in the language

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It'll be a lot easier to go with 250 as you can just use the DF 1 templates as is.
I hate templates, in general, but 250 points, done!
trans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
There's DF on the cheap, [url=http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/articles/DFOnTheCheap.html]here.
Having played with both, I find that the similar rules in Dungeon Fantasy 15: Hirelings produces much more effective characters for the same points, YMMV, of course.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #14
ClayDowling

The language thing is definitely something to be worked out between you and the players, rather than with the rules. If you're using it as a teaching exercise, you might make a point of making sure that everybody understood what you've said. This is all social contract stuff though: the players have to know that it's okay to ask you to clarify something if they didn't understand your English.

i've been in their situation before, so I understand the pain. My aunt's sisters only have regular contact with Americans who speak both English and Spanish as natives in both tongues. Since they know I'm family, they also assume that my Spanish is quite fluent. Unfortunately for them, I've only had two years of school Spanish, so I can get basics if they speak slowly, but any idomatic phrases and I'm completely lost.

Best of luck with this experiment. GURPS Fantasy is an amazing thing: what I always wished other fantasy games could be. It seems like a great way to improve language schools.

Wonder if I can find a bilingual GURPS group around here....
Old 11-14-2017, 04:18 PM   #15
Teclis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I'll go further and say that aside from the old-school gamers who constitute a dwindling minority of the RPG market, most players in 2013 want the movies-and-video-games heroes. This is part of why the Action and Dungeon Fantasy series kick off at 250 points, and why Monster Hunters starts at 400 points. Me, I'd never run a GURPS campaign on a budget smaller than 250 points just because I'd have no players . . . so I'd counsel ditching the implied zero-to-hero style of Harkwood and going with 250-point super-knights who can win 27 jousts and still have enough oomph left to hit the dungeon for some quick looting afterward.
I ran GURPS Fantasy 3e in high school. I set the starting point value at 25 points (ordinary people) in on order to slow my players path of destruction through Cardiel (they were the type of players who just disregard the adventure and kill and rob every NPC they come across). I still had upwards of 15 players every weekend for 15 hour gaming sessions. I even had players trying to bribe me with real money in an attempt to curry favor from powerful NPCs in the campaign setting.
Teclis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:58 PM   #16
AlexanderHowl

Most important NPCS are probably going to be 250-500 points. Heck, even some shopkeepers might be 250 points because they are retired adventures who decided to settle down after their last big score.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote