Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-05-2018, 10:18 PM   #1
equals

Default Help with attack modifer (push/throw)

I am trying to mimic the effect a bull would cause when they throw someone with their horns, or kick someone with their hind legs.

I have the striker advantage, but how would I mimic the pushing back / launching someone in the air with an attack? Is there a modifer for this? I didn’t see one in the basic book. Or would I roll a throwing skill after dealing dmg on a successful attack to determine if the target is thrown?
equals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:50 PM   #2
Rupert

Default Re: Help with attack modifer (push/throw)

Quote:
Originally Posted by equals View Post
I am trying to mimic the effect a bull would cause when they throw someone with their horns, or kick someone with their hind legs.

I have the striker advantage, but how would I mimic the pushing back / launching someone in the air with an attack? Is there a modifer for this? I didn’t see one in the basic book. Or would I roll a throwing skill after dealing dmg on a successful attack to determine if the target is thrown?
Well, a charge that knocks someone down is probably a Slam (B371). Kicking or swinging the horns/head to push someone down or away rather than damage them is a Shove (B372). Remember that normal attacks by a bull will be crushing, and thus do knockback (B378) without any special options needing to be chosen (I would not consider a bull's horns to be impaling, as they are fairly blunt).

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:56 AM   #3
Donny Brook

Some adaptation of the Judo Throw rules might be useful.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:58 AM   #4
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by equals View Post
I am trying to mimic the effect a bull would cause when they .. kick someone with their hind legs .. how would I mimic the pushing back / launching someone in the air with an attack?
Building on Rupert's post, a shove done with legs instead of arms is defined in GURPS Martial Arts as a "push kick". Are you talking about aiming the direction of knockback as vertical instead of horizontal, like an MK uppercut? Diagonal would probably be more often, 3D hex maps to deal with that would be tricky though.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attack, modifer, throw