Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 11-21-2019, 07:29 AM   #1
woodwardiocom

Default Uncle Albert "Al" Stoliczynyski

Moving forward, what should be done to make "Uncle Al" less of a stereotype?

(Note: I am not here to do people's research for them, nor to humor people being disingenuous. It's 2019; we can engage with this question without feigning ignorance.)

-JW
Old 11-21-2019, 08:29 AM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Uncle Albert "Al" Stoliczynyski

For a start, not using the big-nosed image would help a lot.

(FWIW, this issue came up when I was working on the "Short Bursts" vignettes for Pyramid a while back, and the Powers That Be are definitely aware of the issue. I'd expect a less tropey Uncle Al in the new edition.)

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:28 AM   #3
ckosacranoid

What are we even talking about the dude anyway?
If we talk about uncle AL, then we need to talk about his brother Uncle Smule the dude who makes all kinds of over the top things like black hole droppers and photon torp launchers and other over kill things.
ckosacranoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:14 AM   #4
swordtart

As this forum is for archived CW products which will not be updated there is little point discussing it here.

As Uncle Al features in the CW 6 kick starter it is a valid topic of conversation for a thread on the "live" Car Wars forums. Can I suggest you raise it there.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:23 AM   #5
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
As this forum is for archived CW products which will not be updated there is little point discussing it here.

As Uncle Al features in the CW 6 kick starter it is a valid topic of conversation for a thread on the "live" Car Wars forums. Can I suggest you raise it there.
He did. The admins moved this thread here.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:27 AM   #6
Racer

While his looks might be somewhat 'stereotypical' & might indeed be not necessarily politically correct in 'our' 2019 , have you not thought that in universe that the character might be proud of his looks ?

In future which has fully perfected cloning techniques & I dare say has MUCH better plastic surgery results , he STILL keeps his 'look' ? It is a brand after all - probably as recognizable in Auto Duel universe as Colonel Sanders or the Apple logo . Guy is probably a multi Billionaire , has his own TV Station , is surrounded by many gorgeous women & probably gets invited to red carpet events all the time . Self made man done good etc .

( Funnily one of my customers in my first job was spitting image of Uncle Al , with the addition of glasses . A Scotsman with a wicked sense of humor , he roared with laughter when I showed him & his wife my copy of the original 2035 Catalog ! )

Last edited by Racer; 11-25-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:50 PM   #7
doctorevilbrain

It's Colonel Sanders.
doctorevilbrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:39 AM   #8
Racer

Sorry 'autocorrelation' ...

And it strikes a bloody again ... AUTOCORRECTION ...

( Some of the things this basic smartphone comes up with should be truly unpostable ... )

Last edited by Racer; 11-25-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:29 AM   #9
MazeMonster
Banned

The 80s Uncle Al is perfectly good as he is, and there's no reason why he shouldn't continue where he left off. Fire a machine gun round down the Rust Belt or the Baltimore-Boston axis and you'll bounce off the armor of dozens of glad handing entrepreneurs that look, talk, and satisfy their customers just like him. In a larger context, Al was one of many fixtures that boosted Car Wars' fluff/crunch ratio in an era when RPGs ruled the roost in the gaming market. Diluting that element would only detract from the fun of the setting.

Last edited by MazeMonster; 12-16-2019 at 02:04 PM.
MazeMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:32 AM   #10
woodwardiocom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
While his looks might be somewhat 'stereotypical' & might indeed be not necessarily politically correct in 'our' 2019 , have you not thought that in universe that the character might be proud of his looks ?
Your headcanon is fine, but if it's not canon, it's not relevant to SJGames' depiction of the character.

-JW