Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 12-02-2019, 05:50 AM   #11
syncrogt1

Default Re: Vehicle Designs: "This Isn't Right -- This Isn't Even Wrong..."

I am guessing Canon limited the firing arcs due to stability of the vehicle but I would argue that turret mounting an ATG would simply rip the turret from the body of the vehicle regardless of firing arc. The recoil would be horrible. hence the benefit of the RR or HRR over the ATG.
syncrogt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:43 PM   #12
43Supporter

Default Re: Vehicle Designs: "This Isn't Right -- This Isn't Even Wrong..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncrogt1 View Post
[...] I would argue that turret mounting an ATG would simply rip the turret from the body of the vehicle regardless of firing arc. The recoil would be horrible.
Being a Military Historian by training: I did look up "what happens a Really Big Gun is mounted to a frame which wasn't designed for it". My personal favorite example being the infamous B-25 bombers with the 75mm cannons attached; apparently, after three rounds were fired, the cannon had to be dismounted, and the attachment points rebuilt. So I went with "the ATG is mounted well enough that the recoil has to go *somewhere*, that 'somewhere' being 'the contact patches of the tires'; so if the ATG is fired to the side, it causes the car to lose contact with the ground, and completely ruin the driver's day". :)

Side notes:

I found pics of a motorcycle with a sidecar either side, but I can't post pics of it here.

After sillywalking through the _GTA_ designs: I think there may have been some confusion between the sidecars -- the "Light sidecar" designs can be made, but only if one uses a Heavy sidecar and leaves one space unused.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.

Last edited by 43Supporter; 12-02-2019 at 02:51 PM.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote