Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
Demo

Default Trying to build a game based on Dragonball (Need some Suggestions Please)

Like I said, I'm trying to build a GURPS game based on Dragonball. I just started reading some of the Fourth Edition basic material. I've been trying to check it out through my local library before investing money in buying the source books. So I've been reading GURPS For Dummies, and I downloaded the GURPS Lite file.

I'm still a bit fuzzy on a few things though and would appreciate some answers;

1) I was thinking off starting players off with 110 points and a 40 point cap on disadvantages. Does that sound okay for this type of game? (Just so you people out there know, most of the enemies will be regular humans and I'll be following the books' advice about giving normal people between 40-50 points.)

2) I know my players will want to get around to using attacks like the Kamehameha attack, which source books could I use to put stats to things like that?

3) Just to clarify, my players will be starting out at levels similar to the VERY beginning of the Dragonball series, where Goku is a kid, so there'll be no destroying planets and stuff for a long, long while. Can I get some suggestions on what would be good for a character? (Advantages, skills, etc.)

Thanks for your time.
Demo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
Atreyu_Hibiki

Default Re: Trying to build a game based on Dragonball (Need some Suggestions Please)

For starters, lots of ST, DX, and Damage Resistance, for Goku-types.
High IQ, Gadgeteer and lots of Gadgets (more variable than normal because they're Capsule Tech) for Bulma and her ilk.
Some limited form of Morph for Oolong and Purin.

I'd rate Kid-Goku and friends from the first couple of episodes at around 200 points. 110 points is a well-trained cop. Goku's an out-and-out superhuman, even from the get-go.

Source books you'd want: Start with Characters and Campaigns. The rest of the books won't make any sense without these two. Almost every DBZ ability can be made with Characters alone. Illusion attacks (among a whole lot more) are covered in Powers, it's basically the third book in the Basic Set. Finally, I'd recommend Martial Arts. DBZ is at it's core a MA setting, after all.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
lexington

Default Re: Trying to build a game based on Dragonball (Need some Suggestions Please)

You'll absolutely need Supers once they reach high point totals. Powers will help you build, er, powers and has a couple new advantages that will help simulate their more impressive abilities, look for Damage Reduction and Super Strength. For BDZ I would say most characters are using Chi based Bioenergy powers. I would advise not getting Martial Arts for a DBZ campaign, technically it's a setting that uses a lot of martial arts but I don't think the style will mesh with the detail that MA adds.

Personally I don't think 110 point characters will be anything close to what I recall even the weakest characters in DBZ being like. Even Mr Satan/Hercule is well above that point total.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:43 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
You'll absolutely need Supers once they reach high point totals. Powers will help you build, er, powers and has a couple new advantages that will help simulate their more impressive abilities, look for Damage Reduction and Super Strength. For BDZ I would say most characters are using Chi based Bioenergy powers. I would advise not getting Martial Arts for a DBZ campaign, technically it's a setting that uses a lot of martial arts but I don't think the style will mesh with the detail that MA adds.

Personally I don't think 110 point characters will be anything close to what I recall even the weakest characters in DBZ being like. Even Mr Satan/Hercule is well above that point total.
I do not recall the early episodes but would second this.
MA is great and all but a lot of detail that I think doesn't fit well with DBZ.
I would go with the core Basic Set and Powers before starting the game.
Supers before you get to really high levels but it could wait without much harm if your on a budget.
GURPS Psionics is a good buy too for illustrating some important concepts in Powers that would port over well into the DBZ setting.
Least until GURPS Chi comes out and that would be even better for ya ;)
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:41 AM   #5
Demo

Alright, thanks for your input so far. And I still welcome anymore suggestions. But I will try to find the suggested books and up my starting points for my players. I'll keep coming back here if I get stuck with any problems or just to let you guys know if I'm doing alright now.
Demo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dragon, dragon ball, dragonball, goku, kamehameha