Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-17-2020, 12:40 PM   #51
namada
Banned

Default Re: Modular attributes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Preparation Required, Eight Hours, -60%
As I mentioned before, I don't think this is right. Preparation Required specifically states you are doing active preparation (like setting up an elaborate magical ritual site or something,) while Takes Recharge simply assumes your ability needs time to be used again, which is what Dichotomy is describing.

What is described also requires rest, which doesn't mean sleep per se, so if you can sit around non-strenuously for 5 hours, yet still actively do something useful, that's definitely a Takes Recharge 5 hours/Rest Required pair of limitations, not Preparation Required.
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:25 PM   #52
Dichotomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by namada View Post
As I mentioned before, I don't think this is right. Preparation Required specifically states you are doing active preparation (like setting up an elaborate magical ritual site or something,) while Takes Recharge simply assumes your ability needs time to be used again, which is what Dichotomy is describing.

What is described also requires rest, which doesn't mean sleep per se, so if you can sit around non-strenuously for 5 hours, yet still actively do something useful, that's definitely a Takes Recharge 5 hours/Rest Required pair of limitations, not Preparation Required.
the lore it's intended to describe is that the process takes 8 (I upped it from 5) hours to complete, cannot be stopped once started, is somewhat uncomfortable, and in the meantime you're vulnerable, (was thinking about adding a clause to the effect of a -1 to all rolls until you're able to finish your transition) This isn't immediate preparation required, you are correct. You can even recover FP during this time, albeit at half the usual rate (process is uncomfortable). But yes, wanted to clarify.
Dichotomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:47 PM   #53
dataweaver

Preparation Required isn't exactly right; but it's close enough IMHO.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:31 AM   #54
namada
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dichotomy View Post
the lore it's intended to describe is that the process takes 8 (I upped it from 5) hours to complete, cannot be stopped once started, *is somewhat uncomfortable*, and in the meantime you're vulnerable, (was thinking about adding a clause to the effect of a $-1 to all rolls until you're able to finish your transition$) This isn't immediate preparation required, you are correct. You can even recover FP during this time, albeit at half the usual rate (process is uncomfortable). But yes, wanted to clarify.
All highlighted bits are simply Accessibility Limitations, if just using the Basic Set, with Takes Recharge (because, as per the definition, you can still act during that time, so it's a 0% Limitation.)

*What does that mean mechanically?
$That's seriously harsh. -1 to all Attribute & Skill rolls for 8 hours would probably be a net Disadvantage.
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:57 AM   #55
Dichotomy

You may have missed this post, but here's the currently proposed custom advantage as it currently stands:

Quote:
Mutable form (The goblin may take 8 hours during which no strenuous mental or physical activity can be performed and fatigue can only be recovered at half rate to redistribute up to 20cp worth of attributes and/or secondary characteristics into other attributes/secondary characteristics. Cosmetic changes follow the rules and restrictions of elastic skin.) [20]

Special note: additional limitations and enhancements may not be applied to mutable form, except the following special enhancement which can be taken any number of times: More Mutable, increase the maximum number of cp that can be redistributed by 5. [5]
Somewhat uncomfortable means, mechanically, that you can rest during this time, but not very well. You recover fatigue at half rate.

I mean, it's not a net disadvantage in general, as you only suffer the penalty while actively in mid-transition. Having the (purely optional) ability to do something that could be a disadvantage isn't worth points.

The intention is that you're generally unable to undertake strenuous mental or physical activity during the transition (shorthand for anything difficult enough to require a roll), I just threw the penalty in in case you get forced to act (say you get ambushed or something). You CAN act, you just take a penalty die to being mid-transition.

Being able to act at a penalty in an emergency seems less of a disadvantage than being completely unable to act.

Last edited by Dichotomy; 02-18-2020 at 08:23 AM.
Dichotomy is offline   Reply With Quote