Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-28-2018, 09:30 AM   #51
larsdangly

Default Re: Hex & Chit Scaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wyzard View Post
I have a 1.5" chessex mat, and let me tell you, I love it a lot more than my 1" chessex mat. I don't know if my personal experience is worth anything to those who are still dubious, but it's much more of a pleasure to use, and it's less likely to cause an issue if the table gets bumped a bit.

Sometimes I set up some of the 2-Hour Wargames stuff on it for a little solo play, because I have an intense and unreasonable dislike of measuring things out with a ruler. I just treat a hex as an inch and play on a slightly grander scale.
I agree and strongly suspect that people will love the larger scale version of TFT once they have it in their hands. I'm just saying it has to work as an integrated product, which means the parts have to look and move right at the expanded scale.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:59 AM   #52
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I agree and strongly suspect that people will love the larger scale version of TFT once they have it in their hands. I'm just saying it has to work as an integrated product, which means the parts have to look and move right at the expanded scale.
The players with tonnes of old counters will be a harder sell.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:03 AM   #53
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post

I'm sure if they have tonnes of old counters they will also have old maps. Plus it's not to hard to print your own maps in that scale/size if you really want to and your eyesight can handle it. 😜
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:11 AM   #54
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
I'm sure if they have tonnes of old counters they will also have old maps. Plus it's not to hard to print your own maps in that scale/size if you really want to and your eyesight can handle it. ��
Yes, but I was really looking forward to the new counters, and they won't fit on my Chessex mat or work with the old counters. Maybe I could downgrade from the Legacy product to just the soft cover book? I was looking forward to getting hundreds of new counters and art, but none of them will fit.

Also you can get 150% more counters if they had not swollen up, for each counter sheet.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:18 AM   #55
Chris Rice

Quote:
Yes, but I was really looking forward to the new counters, and they won't fit on my Chessex mat or work with the old counters. Maybe I could downgrade from the Legacy product to just the soft cover book? I was looking forward to getting hundreds of new counters and art, but none of them will fit.

Also you can get 150% more counters if they had not swollen up, for each counter sheet.

Warm regards, Rick.
I'm not sure I follow you Rick. All of the new stuff will be compatible: the new counters (of which there will be many) Wizard/Melee maps, wipeable Megahexes and Dyson Battle-mats. Everything.

If you mean it may not be compatible with the originals or with other stuff you own, that may be true. I also have a chessex hex mat it won't be compatible with plus loads of old stuff. That really doesn't bother me at all.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:22 AM   #56
pyratejohn

I believe what Rick is saying is with an increase in size comes a decrease in quantity, given the constraints of the dimensions of the box.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:26 AM   #57
Oneiros

Quote:
At this point, it seems the majority of counters (1-hex) will remain compatible. It's only the large ones that you'll have trouble with, and since they're smaller counters on a larger scale map, they'll at least fit. It'd be a bigger deal going the other way if the old counters were too big for the new maps.

And lets face it... people who have tons of the old counters are going to be a small minority. (I don't know if I have "tons", but I have all of mine from the original Microgames and three or four micro-quests.)

Personally, I'll be glad to update my counters to get rid of that hard-to-read gothic font they were lettered with.
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:30 AM   #58
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyratejohn View Post
I believe what Rick is saying is with an increase in size comes a decrease in quantity, given the constraints of the dimensions of the box.
I don't think there will be any decrease in quantity at all. In fact, I think quantity will increase. I'm already starting to feel a bit guilty about the amount of stuff they're putting in the box. And that's even taking into account shipping and taxes to the UK.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:34 AM   #59
pyratejohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
I don't think there will be any decrease in quantity at all. In fact, I think quantity will increase. I'm already starting to feel a bit guilty about the amount of stuff they're putting in the box. And that's even taking into account shipping and taxes to the UK.
If you have an 8.5x11 sheet the number of counters that can be put on it will decrease when you increase the size of the counters.

And yes, I'm starting to worry about shipping costs. :)
Old 07-28-2018, 10:38 AM   #60
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyratejohn View Post
If you have an 8.5x11 sheet the number of counters that can be put on it will decrease when you increase the size of the counters.

And yes, I'm starting to worry about shipping costs. :)
I wish I had your problem with shipping costs brother, I'd be in for multiple copies 😜