Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-03-2020, 11:52 AM   #21
Fred Brackin

Default Re: John McBride Background

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
T. I suppose machine gunner is possible, he was tall and strong.
While you will find Brownings on mounts in the USMC TO&E in multiple places a WWII Marine squad is 13 men with 3 BARs between them. The NCO in charge was issued a Thompson.

So on a "Big guy gets the big gun" theory your character may have shot the BAR most of the time. That would make LMG his highest Guns skill.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:37 PM   #22
Icelander

Default Re: John McBride Background

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
While you will find Brownings on mounts in the USMC TO&E in multiple places a WWII Marine squad is 13 men with 3 BARs between them. The NCO in charge was issued a Thompson.

So on a "Big guy gets the big gun" theory your character may have shot the BAR most of the time. That would make LMG his highest Guns skill.
Yes, I think it's very plausible that John McBride might have used a BAR for significant periods in WWII, at least until he was put in charge of a squad. After that, I guess a Thompson makes sense.

When he re-enlisted, if he left the Marines as, say, a Sergeant*, he might well have become a Staff Sergeant either upon re-enlistment or shortly after arriving in Korea. That would probably mean a carbine, but McBride never accepted the .30 carbine round. I suppose that means an M3 'Grease Gun' in Korea, if he didn't just carry an M1911A1 and grab a machine gun when necessary.

McBride was 23 when he entered the Marines and while he was not well-educated, he would have been a natural leader in combat. The character is meant to be one of those rare human beings who can calmly act in the chaos of battle, without their performance suffering much, if at all. While McBride was probably not even the best shot in his platoon, he would have been the one who could shoot 'Japs' or 'Chinks' as easily as he shot paper targets for qualification.

And while not intellectually brilliant, he was savvy, sensible and could think clearly even when under artillery fire and being flanked by a battalion of Chinese. Basically, the character had all the necessary ingredients to be an Audie Murphy or (more appropriately, perhaps) Dan Daly, if only he wanted to make the Marines a career.

To put his combat leadership abilities in perspective, at age seventy, John McBride could stand in a room full of specially chosen commandos and special operators, all of who had more years of military service than his eight years, but still be accepted without question as the man in charge. And, most likely, had everyone convinced that if it should come to it, he could put them down, hard.

Not an especially likable man. Cold, reserved, intolerant of weakness or emotion. The sort of man who had difficulty telling his sons he loved them, because that, in his experience and opinion, was not the sort of thing men said to one another. Still less would he say any such thing to the Marines under his command. In fact, McBride believed that men should not need praise or encouragement to do their duty. Yet, despite his limitations when it came to expressing it, McBride's sense of personal responsibility was, in fact, a kind of paternal love for those he perceived as 'in his charge'.

In GURPS terms, he had Callous (limited version with experience, as he bought off the penalty to Teaching), but Sense of Duty made up for the Reaction penalty. And he'd have had some kind of Natural Soldier or similar Talent at high levels.

*With active duty service from early 1942 to early 1946.

Last edited by Icelander; 04-03-2020 at 04:23 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:20 PM   #23
Icelander

Default Duty Assignments Between Deployments

What are some typical duty assignments for Marines in combat arms MOS-es in the modern era when they are not deployed to a combat zone?

I know that there will be pre-deployment work-ups with their units and occasionally, they'll attend courses and schools to retain professional certifications or add new ones. But beyond that, when I'm working up a year-by-year backstory of Marines who spent anywhere from four to twenty years on active duty, what are some common, mundane types of duty that Marines are often assigned to when not on foreign deployments?

For example, if a Marine serves as a recruiter, how does that work? Can any MOS do it or is it generally something only Marines with relevant MOS-es (Personnel field, I guess?) do? What ranks generally do that duty? Is it something people are assigned to completely out of the blue or do people volunteer for it? Is there training and familiarisation before recruiters start work and if so, how long? And how long does the typical recruiter spend doing it?

How long would an experienced NCO expect to spend at a training school or course (Recruit Training, SOI, BCR, Scout-Sniper Course, ITC, etc.) if he's sent there as an instructor? A year? Or one training cycle?

What are some other typical duties that Marines with combat arms MOS-es might do while stationed in CONUS?
Old 04-05-2020, 11:05 AM   #24
Pursuivant

Default Re: USMC Minutiae for Marine Character Background

Quote:
The background I'm looking for is combat arms and an unusally high number of days in combat. McBride went right to Guadalcanal after boot camp and took part in the island jumping one battle after another.
Guadalcanal service would explain that just fine. Due to manpower shortages and difficulties getting reinforcements onto the island, Marines might have spent literally months in almost continuous contact with the enemy.

Quote:
Well, as John McBride was barely literate when he joined the Marines and he wanted a combat assignment, I imagine he was a rifleman. I suppose machine gunner is possible, he was tall and strong.
OK, big, strong, dirt poor and badly educated, probably rural, Texas kid. That shapes his destiny a lot more than military service. Lack of decent education means that there's no way he's anything more than a junior officer and he'll get shunted to the combat arms. During WW2, combat prowess alone might get him promoted to Sergeant but without at least a high school degree his post-war and peacetime service opportunities are going to be limited.

Big and strong means that he might end up being assigned to a weapons platoon, schlepping a MG or mortar. He might also be the squad's designated BAR gunner.

Quote:
Well, the surviving members of his squad would be civilians or senior NCOs by now anyway. I imagined he might have a sentimental attachment to some unit (Battalion? Regiment?) but perhaps that's more of a British thing and the USMC doesn't really foster identification with units.
Sort of. It might not be the unit so much as the people in the unit. If McBride has a former commanding officer who's still in the service, he might specifically ask to be assigned to that person's command. If the ex-CO remembers and likes him enough strings could get pulled to make it happen. By dumb luck/dramatic necessity, McBride could find himself right back in his old regiment.

Quote:
Was it mandatory to be rotated out of combat?
Theoretically, yes, but there were ways around it. Commanders weren't exactly going to force an incredibly experienced NCO to rotate out of combat if they didn't want to go.

Quote:
John McBride would have been very opposed to leaving 'his' boys behind while he rotated somewhere safe.
Exactly the motivation that kept a lot of people in combat. It would have been harder for an officer to keep on fighting since there were plenty of other officers who were eager for combat experience, but an NCO, especially a junior NCO, might have been able to bend the rules with the assistance of his superiors.

Given McBride's attitude, it's quite possible he would have accepted a demotion in order to stay in combat or to get back into the service. Plenty of WW2 NCOs and junior officers initially went back into Korean service with much lower rank - maybe even private. Usually, they got their rank back again once their experience was recognized.

Quote:
McBride did survive Chosin. As for battlefield promotions, McBride was hardly the most polished Marine. He never finished high school and before WWII, he was a roughneck in the Texas oil fields.
So, Hell's Own Gunnery Sergeant. Indisputably skilled in combat, great small unit leader, personally tough as nails, but with just enough bad attitude and dislike for chickenshit superiors and military politics that he doesn't rise quite as high as he should. Ridiculous numbers of combat ribbons and "Bronze Star with V" decorations, perhaps a Silver Star, recommended at least once for the Navy Cross. Paperwork for the Medal of Honor scattered to the winds during the retreat from Chosin. No Good Conduct Medal.

Perhaps given a battlefield commission to 2nd or 1st LT in 1942-43, but did what he could to get out of being an officer so he could stay with his men. Smart superiors realized that it would be stupid to try to turn him into anything other than what he was - a great junior NCO.

At some point, probably late in WW2, his CO told him that the Corps expected its sergeants to be able to read, write, and do math, and that the Marines would give him an education if he wanted it. That gave him the equivalent of a high school diploma. That was a very common story. Even before the GI Bill, lots of servicemen got their first decent classroom education courtesy of Uncle Sam.

After Korea, based on what you've written, it's unlikely that McBride would have continued in the Marine Reserves. But, given his increasingly elite Law Enforcement background, it's possible that he might have been a civilian consultant to the Marines. Depending on how badass you want him to be, this could be anything from the local recruiter asking him to lecture local high school kids to hand-to-hand or combat shotgun training sessions for active duty personnel.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:06 PM   #25
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Guadalcanal service would explain that just fine. Due to manpower shortages and difficulties getting reinforcements onto the island, Marines might have spent literally months in almost continuous contact with the enemy.

OK, big, strong, dirt poor and badly educated, probably rural, Texas kid. That shapes his destiny a lot more than military service. Lack of decent education means that there's no way he's anything more than a junior officer and he'll get shunted to the combat arms. During WW2, combat prowess alone might get him promoted to Sergeant but without at least a high school degree his post-war and peacetime service opportunities are going to be limited.

Big and strong means that he might end up being assigned to a weapons platoon, schlepping a MG or mortar. He might also be the squad's designated BAR gunner.
That all sounds good.

McBride didn't even consider peacetime military service. From everything he heard, it didn't sound like something he'd like to do.

Quote:
Sort of. It might not be the unit so much as the people in the unit. If McBride has a former commanding officer who's still in the service, he might specifically ask to be assigned to that person's command. If the ex-CO remembers and likes him enough strings could get pulled to make it happen. By dumb luck/dramatic necessity, McBride could find himself right back in his old regiment.
Could be. Would a Captain in 1946 still be associated with the same Battalion or even Regiment in 1950?

Quote:
Exactly the motivation that kept a lot of people in combat. It would have been harder for an officer to keep on fighting since there were plenty of other officers who were eager for combat experience, but an NCO, especially a junior NCO, might have been able to bend the rules with the assistance of his superiors.

Given McBride's attitude, it's quite possible he would have accepted a demotion in order to stay in combat or to get back into the service. Plenty of WW2 NCOs and junior officers initially went back into Korean service with much lower rank - maybe even private. Usually, they got their rank back again once their experience was recognized.
Yeah, probably.

Quote:
So, Hell's Own Gunnery Sergeant. Indisputably skilled in combat, great small unit leader, personally tough as nails, but with just enough bad attitude and dislike for chickenshit superiors and military politics that he doesn't rise quite as high as he should. Ridiculous numbers of combat ribbons and "Bronze Star with V" decorations, perhaps a Silver Star, recommended at least once for the Navy Cross. Paperwork for the Medal of Honor scattered to the winds during the retreat from Chosin. No Good Conduct Medal.
Good description of him, yes.

Quote:
Perhaps given a battlefield commission to 2nd or 1st LT in 1942-43, but did what he could to get out of being an officer so he could stay with his men. Smart superiors realized that it would be stupid to try to turn him into anything other than what he was - a great junior NCO.
If someone performs absolutely great as a Corporal or Sergeant (but is a barely literate hick), isn't he more likely he'd be promoted up one rank as an NCO than given a battlefield commission?

Quote:
At some point, probably late in WW2, his CO told him that the Corps expected its sergeants to be able to read, write, and do math, and that the Marines would give him an education if he wanted it. That gave him the equivalent of a high school diploma. That was a very common story. Even before the GI Bill, lots of servicemen got their first decent classroom education courtesy of Uncle Sam.
Exactly. That's where he got the skills he needed to be a functional Deputy in the JCSO, where he polished his reading and writing skills.

Quote:
After Korea, based on what you've written, it's unlikely that McBride would have continued in the Marine Reserves. But, given his increasingly elite Law Enforcement background, it's possible that he might have been a civilian consultant to the Marines. Depending on how badass you want him to be, this could be anything from the local recruiter asking him to lecture local high school kids to hand-to-hand or combat shotgun training sessions for active duty personnel.
The role I have for him in the campaign is being the dead father of an old badass 'Night Rider' (Monster Hunter), to whom he constantly compares himself, and doesn't feel he measures up.

Some of his old weapons are still used in combat by his son, maybe even weapons that were tracked down from when he used them in his Marine service, because personal connections with equipment makes it easier to enchant (it's pretty much the only way to get enchanted high-tech gear).

John McBride was terrifyingly tough.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:13 PM   #26
Fred Brackin

Quote:

John McBride was terrifyingly tough.
I had a High School teacher who'd been a Sargent in the 1st Marines at Chosin. He wasn't scary in his demeanor but from the neck down he still looked like he'd just gotten out of basic even though that had been 25 years or more before. I'm sure there are Marine vets who get fat and slouchy after they leave service but Mr Reynolds wasn't one of them.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:41 PM   #27
jason taylor

Quote:
I have a lot of NPCs in my campaign. Many of them have served in the US military and a fair number are still serving as reservists in 3rd FORECON, 4th Reconnaissance Battalion or some other part of the MARFORRES. There are also people who matter for the history of the 'Night Riders' (Monster Hunters) that the PCs are part of, even if they are now retired or dead, who might have descendants involved with the organization.

In any case, because I don't like inaccuracies, I'm trying to have the service histories and biographies of various NPCs as accurate as possible. Yes, there might be secret occult forces and horrible monsters in the world of the 2010s, but the history of the setting is our history and while these NPCs are mostly exceptional people, they're meant to have real histories.

So, I figured I'd see if any forumites familiar with US Marine Corps history, traditions and other minutiae could offer me any assistance. I probably have a lot of incredibly specific questions, but I'd also welcome general comments and notes.

I have one pretty general question, first, which is about unit attachments and how much Marines tend to move around between units. Is it common for someone to spend most or all of his career in a given battalion or regiment, like in the British Army?

Example NPC 1

For example, one (now dead) NPC was John McBride (b. March 15; 1919; Anahuac, TX; d. July 17, 2006; Anahuac, TX). McBride was not a career Marine (he had a civilian career in law enforcement), but he served as an enlisted Marine during WWII and Korea. I'm tentatively thinking he served in the 3/5, but I'm open to suggestions.

First of all, if someone from Texas joined the USMC right after Pearl Harbor and ended up a rifleman, what were the most likely units he would be posted to?

My background works if he could plausibly have served in any of the nine numbered battalions under the 1st, 5th or 7th Marine Regiments, but I'd like to select one with evocative historical episodes attached, cool nickname, motto or something like that.

I know there is an entire system for East and West Coast Marines, as regards training, at least, but I'm not sure how things worked during all historical periods.

Second, how unusual would it be for a 31-year-old who had been about four years out of the Marines to enlist again as soon as Korea started?

Third, how much training would someone who had been at Guadalcanal, New Britain, Peleliu and Okinawa 5-8 years before be subjected to before being sent to Korea in 1950?

Fourth, if we assume that John McBride was not interested in a military career, but felt that it was his duty to fight on the front lines when his country was at war, and that he was a competent, steady, serious and fearless man who felt a strong sense of responsibility toward his fellow Marines, what might his rank plausibly have been at the end of WWII?

Fifth, how likely is it that John McBride might be able to re-enlist for the Marine Corps and expect a posting to his old unit, which had been disbanded after WWII and was being re-activated at the time?

Sixth, how long would he have served on his second enlistment and at what rank is he likely to have separated from active duty after the Korean War?
I should think that was more than enough "training" to earn him a typical gangster-sounding name by then. I don't have enough insider stuff but I imagine by then his training as opposed to experience would be either taking part in regular exercises, or integrating some specialized new thing (like landing in adapted swamp boats, which come to think of it, they would be very interested in getting a New Orleans native for).

Most of the Marines on Guadalcanal in the beginning were actually rather raw. Some of the non coms would have been Old China Hands and old Latin Hands though (Edson's Ranger's got their battle cry from the ChiComs no less).

If you want him on Guadalcanal you might have him join in the cold war stage in 1941 when FDR was baiting the Axis and begging money from Congress. Generally the Navy got more money than the Army and the Marines with it. The Marines because of the need to survive bureaucratic shuffling emphasized as their essential gimmick "no more Gallipolis". If War Plan Orange was to work the Marines had to occupy ground. In fact naval expansion started before the war, as it was slipped in as part of the New Deal. But of course a more plausible reason for a Hero to enlist is that he expected a war with evildoers. Of course I may be wrong depending on how long the training period was before going into action at the time.

Last edited by jason taylor; 04-06-2020 at 02:48 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:28 PM   #28
Abrasax

One thing to keep in mind is that the USMC is a real-world bureaucracy and not a theoretical Mage's Guild. While everyone in the Mage's Guild might be required to have an Thaumatology-15, in the real world there's no way of directly examining proficiency and a sometimes bureaucrats mess with the way tests are conducted and recording is done in order to make their unit 'pass muster' by the letter of the regulation even if it violates the spirit. I suspect that there were many people vastly more qualified who were digging latrines (maybe their CO didn't like their attitude) while a not-insignificant number of half-wits had multiple stars. Real world organizations are not [directly] based on merit except in the most uselessly Darwinian meta-sense (of being well-positioned and adapted for their specific environment).

To put it shortly, 'what a Major General should know is not the same as what Major Generals actually know'.

To abstract away from the USMC, remember that the USSR and modern Afghani armies have thousands of 'ghost soldiers' who never existed to begin with and their equipment was just embezzled to their officers' pocket. Likewise, a person might be 'fully trained' on a system which is actually useless because it's a porkbarrel project. Likewise, a lot of jarheads have common skills (such as dealing with bureaucracy) that are not covered in their training, even though they're absolutely necessary for a successful career.

Also, a lot of career soldiers are GARBAGE with their primary weapon. I have met plenty of Army guys I could outshoot any day of the week, and I am not particularly good. Same goes for police, etc. What people are 'supposed' to know is not what they actually know, what is 'supposed' to be required may have little relation to what is actually possessed by the soldier in question. While some basic operational skills (how to load an AR15-type weapon) certainly will be transmitted to them, many things which are 'supposed' to be learned will simply be a matter of rote instruction immediately forgotten and never used by the people who receive it (like algebra for most American schoolchildren).

Regarding primary infantry weapon failings, in my experience this is less common with combat duty people (both because they are selected for that role and because they are more likely to acquire those skills), whereas professional skills (from artillery to satellite communications education) seem to be more reliably transmitted. People tend to not actually 'learn' stuff they don't use or expect to use, even if instructed in it.

I would say that for a good percentage of lower-ranking soldiers they are operating on Defaults most of the time, beyond skills that require professional training. Higher-ranking officers may (or may not) have skills like Tactics and LEadership, but they are most likely to have Savoir-Faire (Military) and Administration skills, which provide more practical advancement opportunities than being good with a rifle or a submarine.

This can change somewhat in heavy situations (the Korean War), but not as much as you might think. It took a French Revolution to take advantage of the potential skills of the French army, reforming military culture is virtually impossible without a crushing defeat.

Last edited by Abrasax; 04-06-2020 at 05:43 PM.
Abrasax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:40 PM   #29
Pursuivant

Quote:
Could be. Would a Captain in 1946 still be associated with the same Battalion or even Regiment in 1950?
Probably not. More likely a career officer would have been promoted by then - but not too far up the ladder. Just invent a 1st LT or Captain company commander who had what it took to stay in the Marines after WW2 - like being an Naval Academy graduate with an excellent combat record. Assuming a late war Captain (perhaps Class of 1943 or 44), McBride's patron could be a Major or Lt. Colonel by 1950. That would put him in position to be XO of a Marine Battalion. Say that McBride bumped into his old commanding officer from Okinawa at 29 Palms soon after rejoining the service and mentioned that he hadn't received an assignment yet. The XO is always on the hunt for good NCOs so he goes to his CO (a Colonel or Brigadier General) and says, "You really want this guy; do what you have to to get him."

Quote:
If someone performs absolutely great as a Corporal or Sergeant (but is a barely literate hick), isn't he more likely he'd be promoted up one rank as an NCO than given a battlefield commission?
It depends on how bad things were. Junior officers are most at risk in combat, so plenty of experienced NCOs ended up being given commissions as platoon- or company-level officers when some shave-tail 2nd LT got himself killed due to inexperience. (E.g. Audie Murphy, who had a background similar to McBride's). In combat talent and experience counted a lot more than formal education, but there was the strong assumption that battlefield promotions would either confirmed by sending the NCO off to Officer's Training School or would be rescinded as soon as properly trained officers were available. McBride obviously fell into the latter group and was probably relieved that he could be back with his men again.

Quote:
Some of his old weapons are still used in combat by his son, maybe even weapons that were tracked down from when he used them in his Marine service, because personal connections with equipment makes it easier to enchant (it's pretty much the only way to get enchanted high-tech gear).
Keep in mind that some of that gear might be war trophies. He might have acquired a katana or tanto which was already been enchanted or which houses the spirit of its former owner whose spirit was somehow bound to the weapon as he died. Potentially an adventure to get a willful weapon, instinctively hostile to non-Japanese, to cooperate.

Other WW2-era Japanese weapons were likely to be crap, fit only be traded to gullible Navy men who wanted battlefield souvenirs. Ice cream, canned fruit, whiskey, and beer would have had a lot more appeal to a combat Marine than a clapped- out Nambu pistol.

U.S.-made equipment was more likely to have been acquired as "war surplus" after the fighting ended, although McBride might have smuggled out a customized/Weapon Bond M1911 ACP pistol or two and perhaps a Bowie-style or Marine Raider stiletto. Long guns are more likely to come from his service as a Texas Ranger, but he might have managed to retain some slightly unusual or customized long gun from his Guadalcanal service, like a shotgun or Springfield M1903 rifle (pre-war issue, but accurized as a sniper rifle, perhaps with carved notches from the butt to the stock representing McBride's WW2-era kills). Ignoring their sentimental and enchantment value, weapons like that could have serious monetary value to a collector. Presumably, that enhances their enchantment potential.

Given the level of work you've put into this guy, his remarkable toughness, and the fact that it's a horror campaign, he's just begging to show up as a ghost or revenant. Not necessarily hostile, but certainly "restless dead." Great roleplaying potential as father and son discuss things they could never talk about when McBride was alive. Potentially a Contact or even a (secret) Patron.

Last edited by Pursuivant; 04-06-2020 at 09:49 PM.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:24 AM   #30
Celjabba

Quote:

Keep in mind that some of that gear might be war trophies. He might have acquired a katana or tanto which was already been enchanted or which houses the spirit of its former owner whose spirit was somehow bound to the weapon as he died. Potentially an adventure to get a willful weapon, instinctively hostile to non-Japanese, to cooperate.
Perhaps he did some trading (or a poker game, ...) with Sergent Coldy Bimore in December 45

Last edited by Celjabba; 04-07-2020 at 12:28 AM.
Celjabba is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
marines, military, military culture