Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-26-2020, 05:57 AM   #11
Anders

Default Re: How to model "Can't expect more from them"?

Maybe this is better modeled as a limitation on the disadvantages? I'd say it's -50% at least, but more probably reducing it to a quirk (in the same way that Bad Temper - only when drunk - is canonically a quirk).
Old 03-26-2020, 06:10 AM   #12
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
For rich eccentrics and mad kings to have this Perk/Advantage, they'd also need to have a corresponding Odious Personal Habit, for a net zero points. Being immune to social norms isn't an advantage worth points if you'd never normally break them anyway.
I think any character is allowed to break social norms if they wish. An OPH would represent them *always* breaking those norms.

Also, the habit isn't odious if everyone forgives you for it.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:12 AM   #13
RyanW

I could see Known Eccentric as a perk: Your eccentric behavior is (perhaps grudgingly) tolerated, and you suffer no or greatly reduced consequences when your actions aren't actually harmful. You wouldn't also be allowed to take those behaviors as disadvantages, though. It's a perk, rather than just lacking OPH, because you might be able to get away with things other than just annoying habits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
If this is tied to the accepting chilled dude, I would consider it a zero-point feature for the accepting chilled dude's character sheet.
Am I the only one thinking accepting chilled dude would be voiced by Greg Cipes?
Old 03-26-2020, 01:01 PM   #14
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
It wouldn't just be children and barbarians; rich eccentrics and mad kings would have the same advantage.

I'd say as Legal Immunity starts from 5pts, then Immunity from Social Norms would just be a Perk.
I'd suggest that the rich eccentrics and mad kings still suffer a penalty, it just mostly disappears under the bonuses from their status. They still don't get the kudos a sane king or competent rich person would … it's just that people are mostly polite to them.

"Can't expect more" seems to just be fluff for a reaction penalty (as someone already suggested upthread) - not a very big one, but enough that you generally have a negative view of their capabilities. Anyone on the other end of this penalty is negative, they're just patronising rather than hostile.

An actual immunity from social norms - say, for a fakir or shaman for whom, arguably, acting in a "god touched" manner is a social norm, might be interesting, possibly modelled on Regard (Feared)?
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:40 PM   #15
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Maybe this is better modeled as a limitation on the disadvantages? I'd say it's -50% at least, but more probably reducing it to a quirk (in the same way that Bad Temper - only when drunk - is canonically a quirk).
This has the right feel to me. It's basically like Mitigator.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:36 PM   #16
pawsplay

I think this is basically when someone with a reaction penalty gets a decent result.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:43 PM   #17
JulianLW

From Social Regard: Amusing, from Social Engineering: "This lets you get away with things that would get other people in trouble, precisely because you’re not taken seriously.... Many societies grant their children levels of this advantage (often decreasing as they get older); if so, it can coexist with Social Stigma (Minor)."
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:06 AM   #18
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianLW View Post
From Social Regard: Amusing, from Social Engineering: "This lets you get away with things that would get other people in trouble, precisely because you’re not taken seriously.... Many societies grant their children levels of this advantage (often decreasing as they get older); if so, it can coexist with Social Stigma (Minor)."
That fits. In bigoted societies, the 'funny foreigner' or 'funny <race/ethnicity>' stereotype is relatively common, so 'Social Regard (Amusing)' coexisting with other Social Stigmas seems fair.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote