Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-27-2019, 03:49 AM   #11
MikMod

Default Re: +1 IQ collar - for my wolf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I and the people I played with tended to dislike and not include attribute enhancers, and from that perspective would point out the note on ITL 161: "These are thoroughly useful items, and GMs may wish to limit their availability drastically."

Allowing an IQ enhancer to let people learn spells does open up some odd exploits which different people might say was cool/interesting or annoying, e.g. a group or guild hall which has one might pass the item around from wizard to wizard, allowing the entire group to act for some purposes as if the entire group had higher IQ, but were limited to using it one at a time (whoever has the item at the moment).
I really did not use them at all, but I assumed that they would work just like an additional stat point - with the caveats you quoted - which is why there is a health warning on them!

Also I would not allow that exploit, since you would have to be wearing the item the whole time you were studying and (p45) "It is assumed you were practising or studying during the time you were earning the experience" to add a new spell or talent. I guess you could gradually use it to help people access slightly higher level spells over a really long period, but as you say, only the person with the +IQ item could actually cast the spell in any case. If I was in a group of any size, would I really spend my precious xp on a spell I could only cast if I happened to get hold of the IQ ring? Probably not if I am out adventuring. More likely if I am a permanent resident of a wizard enclave. Also, it could help 'bind' wizards to their cabal... Interesting...
MikMod is offline   Reply With Quote