Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-25-2019, 11:55 AM   #31
Witchstar

Default Re: Current play?

Aren’t megahexes used for counting range for missive attacks and stuff? How do people handle that when using mats that don’t have the megahex outline on them?
Witchstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:58 AM   #32
larsdangly

It isn't exact, but I just divide the hex distance by 3 when I use a Chessex mat.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:59 AM   #33
larsdangly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
That's an excellent tip! Thank you!

(Edited to add: I just went over to Amazon, and not only can you get a regular battlemat for $22 or so, and the megamat for $39, but you can get something called a "Mondomat" (54" by 102"!!!) in the 1.5" hex/square size for roughly $80! Yipes!!!)
Yes, I thought about getting a 1.5" hex mondomat, but I don't own a table it would fit on, and if I play on the floor one or more of my many pets would be sure to trapse across the battlefield...
Old 03-25-2019, 12:04 PM   #34
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchstar View Post
Aren’t megahexes used for counting range for missive attacks and stuff? How do people handle that when using mats that don’t have the megahex outline on them?
I use a ruler marked for missile weapon range penalties.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:25 PM   #35
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchstar View Post
Well, the easiest way is to simply count up the range in hexes and divide by three -- that gives you the number of megahexes to the target. Any fractions left over are an additional megahex. Or, if you prefer to be official about it all, draw megahexes on the battlemaps (since they're vinyl, wet-erase markers, often sold with the mats, work just fine).

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Yes, I thought about getting a 1.5" hex mondomat, but I don't own a table it would fit on, and if I play on the floor one or more of my many pets would be sure to trapse across the battlefield...
I know. That was the first thing I thought of when I saw that! I'd need a ping pong table in the garage to even set that bad boy up!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:38 PM   #36
Theohippip

Location: Downstate or Upstate New York. Depends on your definition.

It took some time, but I drew in the megahexes and dots onto a 1.5" Chessex mat with an extra fine permanent Sharpie. On top of that, I draw rooms and such with a fat wet-erase marker. That'll wipe off, leaving the Sharpie behind.
Theohippip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:42 PM   #37
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohippip View Post
It took some time, but I drew in the megahexes and dots onto a 1.5" Chessex mat with an extra fine permanent Sharpie. On top of that, I draw rooms and such with a fat wet-erase marker. That'll wipe off, leaving the Sharpie behind.
That would clearly be the best way to do it, but some people don't want to permanently change their battlemats, or so I hear... Personally, I'd do it the way you did.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:42 PM   #38
larsdangly

Good idea. If I can get up the nerve I'll ink Megahexes and dots on mine as well. How did you center the dots reliably?
Old 03-25-2019, 12:52 PM   #39
Theohippip

Location: Downstate or Upstate New York. Depends on your definition.

I photocopied a 1.5" Melee hex template and punched some tiny holes into the dots. I then taped it down to the mat and marked through the holes with the Sharpie. Like I said, pretty time-consuming, but effective. I didn't think twice about permanent megahexes on the Chessex; I only use it for TFT (I mean, what else is there, after all?)
Theohippip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:41 PM   #40
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohippip View Post
I photocopied a 1.5" Melee hex template and punched some tiny holes into the dots. I then taped it down to the mat and marked through the holes with the Sharpie. Like I said, pretty time-consuming, but effective. I didn't think twice about permanent megahexes on the Chessex; I only use it for TFT (I mean, what else is there, after all?)
That sounds like a solid idea. I think I'll do the same.

As for me, I haven't had a chance yet to run anyone else through TFT. I think I'll do Tollenkar's Lair as a mini-campaign, adding in some wilderness encounters and small labyrinths, with the culmination being an assault on the lower levels. If they're having fun, I'll have Tollenkar himself escape to be a recurring villain. I'm working on some notes on how he could work with the Chaos Triad adventure.

I have been running through Death Test to familiarize myself with the rules. I completed it on my fourth run, with a middling final score. I'm going to keep at it until I've got the rest of the labyrinth mapped and I feel confident that I've got the rules down; I still need to practice HTH and remembering all of my options. I had a few moments where I was kicking myself that I'd forgotten to move a figure or that someone's weapon was unready. Then I'll tackle Death Test 2.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote