Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-29-2009, 05:15 PM   #41
Ragitsu
Banned

Default Re: Generic Question Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Organism View Post
Against most TL 8 body armour (DR 12 against piercing damage) AP armour is better, but you are going to need a lot of 9mm rounds to actually kill someone.
If this is truly the case, then it seems that AP ammo is rarely used one shot at a time (except perhaps the ol' assassination attempt where the target is wearing armor and you're using a rifle) and is better in bursts, such as with a pistol or submachine gun.
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:40 PM   #42
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
The damage change isn't so much the issue, it's the damage type change that seems to hurt it the most (Pi to Pi-, mostly). This may be realistic, but again, it seems to be of dubious usefulness in play.
Well, that's why you've got old and new wound factors scattered around that comparison. I couldn't simplify without knowing just what rounds you were using...

Also, shoot people in the vitals or brain, and the wounding type suddenly makes no difference whatsoever. If you can pull it off that's an enormous edge for small, armor-piercing rounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Organism View Post
(Incidentally, why is AP damage *0.7 instead of just -1 per dice, like most GURPS damage modifiers?)
Aren't the High Tech damage modifiers just about all written in decimal multiples, though? I vaguely recall noting APDU at 1.2x
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:55 PM   #43
Ragitsu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Well, that's why you've got old and new wound factors scattered around that comparison. I couldn't simplify without knowing just what rounds you were using...
9x19mm Parabellum.

---

Armor Piercing says:

Quote:
Multiply damage by 0.7.
So it is 2d-1 (2) Pi-, right?

Last edited by Ragitsu; 05-29-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:24 PM   #44
Ulzgoroth

I'm seeing break-even at DR 8, where 9-8=1 and (6-4)*.5=1. I can't ever remember how the various roundings are supposed to work, if you round DR down and wounding up you would get break-even at DR 7 also, as Perfect Organism said.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:49 PM   #45
Ragitsu
Banned

A question about Fishing: where in the rules can I find options for a cooperative effort, such as marlin or shark fishing?
Old 05-30-2009, 03:56 PM   #46
Ragitsu
Banned

Ouch, these boards sure do move fast.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:11 AM   #47
LemmingLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
A question about Fishing: where in the rules can I find options for a cooperative effort, such as marlin or shark fishing?
Er... advanced fishing rules will be in GURPS: NOODLER.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:09 AM   #48
Landwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmingLord View Post
Oh, noodling...

Although this question prompted me to try to find the rules for cooperative effort in any appropriate skill (e.g. Research), and I was unable to do so. Does this ever come up in Basic?

Cheers.
Landwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:02 AM   #49
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landwalker View Post
Although this question prompted me to try to find the rules for cooperative effort in any appropriate skill (e.g. Research), and I was unable to do so. Does this ever come up in Basic?
Long Tasks on BS 346 can be used for a lot of stuff. If one person could do a task in 8 hours with a successful skill roll, then 4 people could do it in 2 hours with a successful skill roll from each of them, or take 8 hours and get +2 for 'extra time'.

GM judgement is obviously needed to determine if a task can be divided this way, if there is an efficiency penalty (or bonus) for splitting the workload, what the minimum and maximum time and the minimum and maximum number of workers is. A group of people building a barricade is probably more efficient than a group of people writing a novel.

There are also rules for helping your team-mates in Dungeon Fantasy 2 (page 11) and Action 2 (page 5 - essentially the same rules as DF). Basically an assistant with a helpful skill (not necessarily the same skill as you are using) gives +1 to your skill on a successful skill roll (and -1 on a failure) and a group of people working as a team where everyone needs to do something roll against the skill of the most skilled individual with -1 for each team member who doesn't know the relevant skill.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:28 PM   #50
Ragitsu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmingLord View Post
What is GURPS: NOODLER?

And in any event, it looks like i'll have to whip up a house-rule or two. I can certainly see cooperative Fishing, because large groups of men do it every day in northern Atlantic waters, and on a smaller scale, the Gulf of Mexico :-).

Tags
answers, explosives, firearms, q&a, questions, random