Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-02-2019, 10:04 PM   #11
Refplace

Default Re: Pounce and Damage to Attacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polkageist View Post
I don't have the article, but I'm guessing that has a lot of info about point costs of the techniques for allies/companions?
Its a series of martial styles based on the type of animal from a predator/prey role. So Ambush Predators, Rushing Predators, etc are example styles.
Also a few unique techniques to account for certain signature moves.
It also discusses typical tactics.
Useful for a GM, just like you say assign a default value and go. However players with animal Allies or shapeshifters can use them and spend points to buy up favorite Techniques.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:06 AM   #12
martinl

DR (only vs Pounce backlash -40%), whatever level you want.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:29 PM   #13
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
That's probably a more DFRPG-legal way to approach things than bringing in the techniques and styles approach. While of course it's EASY (mostly) to import regular GURPS or Dungeon Fantasy (line, as opposed to RPG) into any individual game, those that want to play "right out of the box" are better served by other treatments.

The easiest for Monsters is to just say "yeah, it never takes damage from pounce unless it jumps on your sword," because monsters cheat and don't have to obey the regular rules. Especially if the regular rules slow down the game.

Coming up with a "special ability" that is a single thing with all the rules intact which might be some sort of pouncy technique coupled with enough DR to absorb its own attack, or just declaring the pounce a striker, is a better way to make abilities such as this more compatible with the more "this is what a critter can do" presentation from the Monsters book.

It boils down to whether you want reciprocal rules to apply. DFRPG says "not always," and some monsters get blanket statements like "completely immune to X" that are nearly impossible to price in vanilla GURPS. That's because they be monsters.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:39 PM   #14
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
Arguably that's -60%, and you can get further by adding limits like Forward Only.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:48 PM   #15
Harald387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Arguably that's -60%, and you can get further by adding limits like Forward Only.
Or you could, in GURPS. This is the Dungeon Fantasy RPG, where it's just fine to say 'Yep, I don't like that it takes damage by pouncing things, so it's not gonna.'

That distinction really is important.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:54 PM   #16
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald387 View Post
That distinction really is important.
Agreed. As soon as you start talking about rules that aren't found in the DFRPG box or the official DFRPG supplements, you need to take the discussion to the GURPS forum.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:28 PM   #17
tbone

While I like DFRPG's easier slam rules, I think I'd still like to see properly-inflicted slams deliver less damage (especially to the slammer) and more knockback. (As it is, they're a sort of mutual punch, possibly with really high damage both ways if Move was high.)

But sticking to the topic of pouncing: I'm not even sure what the damage is from a pounce. If it's a pounce from a standing jump, does the distance jumped count as Move for damage purposes? If a pounce from above, how does the drop distance affect damage? (And, a side question about under-the-hood workings: What does that +4 TH represent? It's brought over from GURPS, of course, where it's the flying tackle bonus, which I thought represented an automatic AOA (Determined). Reading now, I see that's not the case; unless I'm missing something, in either game you can claim another +4 from AOA. Huh.)

Whatever the damage of a pounce, I like the idea – no doubt suggested by someone somewhere – of cutting damage to the pouncer as if it were a fall. Reduce damage by 2d (effective 5-yard fall) for an Acrobatics roll. Make that an automatic reduction of 2d, and halving of any remaining damage on a DX roll, if the pouncer has Catfall. (I'd let either of those rolls use Jumping if better, to keep with the whole pouncing theme.)

Or to make that even simpler: Give dedicated pouncers Catfall, and decree that it waives damage to the attacker for any reasonable pounce. Done!

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:38 PM   #18
Anthony

Realistically, animals don't pounce (except by accident) with more force than they can handle, so there probably shouldn't a velocity component to a pounce at all, just treat is as a special form of Move and Attack, probably combined with a shove or as a dual-weapon attack.

Tags
dfrpg, pounce, slam