Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-19-2019, 07:42 AM   #1
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default GURPS Monster Hunters Power-Ups 1

Hello there, monster
You survived our last battle
But I've powered up
— Penny Raven, Monster Hunter
At 400 points, you'd think the champions of GURPS Monster Hunters would be ready for anything. Yet many monsters are vastly more powerful than even an entire team of larger-than-life hunters. So while it might be foolhardy to engage in an arms race against The Enemy, it's equally unwise not to beef up the body, expand the mind, and fortify the spirit . . . every little bit helps.

That's the focus of GURPS Monster Hunters Power-Ups 1. Within you'll find new abilities, perks, skills, and lenses for members of every profession. And because sometimes the edge you need is gear, this work also includes rules that let techies bash together exactly what the team needs, when they need it. All of this comes with a ton of advice on how to use it and how to add more.

Power up your team today!

Store Link: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-0352
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:19 AM   #2
Celjabba

Default Re: GURPS Monster Hunters: Power-Ups 1

Powered Up !
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:09 PM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: GURPS Monster Hunters: Power-Ups 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]Hello there, monster
You survived our last battle
But I've powered up
— Penny Raven, Monster Hunter
That's great. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Within you'll find new abilities, perks, skills, and lenses for members of every profession.
I'll note this book is for the non-powered professions: commando, sage (though that one technically has magic it's not that much), sleuth, techie, and warrior.

:-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:07 AM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: GURPS Monster Hunters Power-Ups 1

I put up some Designer's Notes for this book here.

Become a Patron!
Old 08-08-2019, 09:55 AM   #5
Plane

From those notes...
Quote:
Enhanced Critical: Is just a really sneaky version of Rules Exemption. Nothing more.
Having dipped your toe in this, any ideas for other exemption perks altering crit function? Like:

1) crit success table is optional and not mandatory for character (ie you don't want to chance doing triple damage to an opponent because you don't want to kill them, so you may abstain from rolling on it)

2) inability of opponents to defend is attacker's option and not mandatory (ie you actually want an opponent to parry you or dodge you for some reason)

3) able to roll twice on crit table and pick which of the two outcomes you want

4) able to buy Enhanced Crit for active defense instead of attack (more likely to induce crit failures by attackers)

5) able to avoid critically successful defenses from changing attacker's success into a critical failure (ie you want to be very skilled at blocking but not so skilled they're more likely to hurt themselves as a result of your defense)

The way it seems to go is that while the modified skill needed to get a crit is 10 more than the crit range, the prereq to buy the perk to extend that range seems to be 10+2*level
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:22 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
1) crit success table is optional and not mandatory for character (ie you don't want to chance doing triple damage to an opponent because you don't want to kill them, so you may abstain from rolling on it)
That seems like a Rules Exemption perk to me.

Quote:
2) inability of opponents to defend is attacker's option and not mandatory (ie you actually want an opponent to parry you or dodge you for some reason)
Ditto. I don't know why you'd want that, but it's the same cost. A perk.

Quote:
3) able to roll twice on crit table and pick which of the two outcomes you want
I'd call that Luck + Cosmic, Affects effect tables. It's -0% if you can only affect effect tables or +100% if you can affect normal rolls too.

Quote:
4) able to buy Enhanced Crit for active defense instead of attack (more likely to induce crit failures by attackers)
Consider how expensive it would be to get a base skill that high, maybe a perk. Then again, Feverish Defense, Retreat, etc. can jack that up high. I'd apply Cosmic to the active defense per Power-Ups 4.

Quote:
5) able to avoid critically successful defenses from changing attacker's success into a critical failure (ie you want to be very skilled at blocking but not so skilled they're more likely to hurt themselves as a result of your defense)
I can't parse this. What do you mean?

Quote:
The way it seems to go is that while the modified skill needed to get a crit is 10 more than the crit range, the prereq to buy the perk to extend that range seems to be 10+2*level
I would never extend it past 9. 9 is plenty. 10+ is just crazy.

Become a Patron!
Old 08-08-2019, 03:53 PM   #7
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I'd call that Luck + Cosmic, Affects effect tables. It's -0% if you can only affect effect tables or +100% if you can affect normal rolls too.
It's +50% to be able to effect "effects tables" (Thaumatology page 30). That suggests "only effect "effects tables" is -50%.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:14 PM   #8
NineDaysDead
Banned

1. Why does Deductive Mastery include "Based on IQ or Perception, Own Roll, +40%"?

By default Psychometry rolls IQ.

If your IQ is equal to or higher than Perception, why change that?

If your Perception between 1 to 3 higher than your IQ, Reliable +1 to +3 (+5% to +15%) is cheaper than "Based Perception, Own Roll, +20%"?

If your Perception 4 or more higher than your IQ, "Based Perception, Own Roll, +20%" makes sense. but why would you spend another +20% on "Based on IQ or Perception, Own Roll, +40%"

2. Deductive Mastery uses the "short range" limitation, but the "short range" limitation moves things down the classes:

no penalties at all
Long-Distance Modifiers (p. B241)
the Size and Speed/Range Table (p. B550)
-1/yard like a Regular spell (p. B239)

Distance converts as “miles” as “weeks.”

But Psychometry doesn't use any of these classes, it adds a -1 penalty for every tenfold increase from a base of -0 at 1 day or less. How does this interact with the "short range" limitation?
Old 08-08-2019, 04:20 PM   #9
NineDaysDead
Banned

What's the Code of Honour for Higher Purpose (Acquire Knowledge) and Higher Purpose (Veracity)?
Old 08-08-2019, 06:29 PM   #10
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
It's +50% to be able to effect "effects tables" (Thaumatology page 30). That suggests "only effect "effects tables" is -50%.
The way I've always read that table is that it's for overcoming the effects of spell critical failures. Not all effect tables such as critical hit, critical miss, unarmed miss, etc. +100% for all tables seems fine to me. Moreover, Everyone's a Critical from DF: Swashbucklers costs 15 points and lets you reroll on the critical hit table and increase the threat range of your attacks by 1.

Become a Patron!