Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-03-2018, 03:33 PM   #11
Humabout

Default Re: Affliction Levels, proposed house rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
That works out as 10 + 1/10 of the enhancement value given on B36. I'd probably use 1/5 of the enhancement value for effects other than Coma, Heart Attack, and Incapacitation, as in my experience minor afflictions are not worth bothering with under current rules, at at that point I'd have resistance modifiers be enhancements or limitations, probably in the 20-50% range, and they only affect the initial resistance roll, not recovery rolls (sorry stun).
This isn't a bad approach. It keeps everything simple and self-consistent, and I feel like +30% per -1 to resistance roll is nicely in line with the pricing of similarly structured advantages, like Terror. Charging -15% per -1 to resistance roll gives -75% for a secondary affliction, which is close enough to 1/5 cost without resorting to the awkwardness of charging -16% for a limitation. And the entire scheme is in keeping with the precedent set by Innate Attack, so I'm good with this all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
This is of course the problem with this approach that was suggested upthread. A Heart Attack Affliction might legitimately be worth 40 points, but Heart Attack HT-1 probably isn't at 80.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Really, "what the affliction does" and "how it works" need to be separate and multiplicative, I'd probably change Affliction so 'what it does' changes the base cost, and then you apply enhancements and limitations to affect resistance, armor, etc.
Pudding, this is not an issue based on Anthony's suggestion, since the cost for imposing resistance penalties isn't a straight doubling of the cost unless you choose to set it as such, and I think we all can agree that would be silly.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:03 PM   #12
JoelSammallahti

Replace Affliction with Innate Attack combined with No Wounding, No Knockback, and either Side Effects or Symptoms. :)

(I would permit a combination of Symptoms and Based on Different Attribute to base the threshold for effects on a trait other than HP, if you wanted effects that kick in at half the target's Will, for example.)
JoelSammallahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:09 PM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
Pudding, this is not an issue based on Anthony's suggestion, since the cost for imposing resistance penalties isn't a straight doubling of the cost unless you choose to set it as such, and I think we all can agree that would be silly.
Then I guess I don't understand the point of changing the base cost.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:12 PM   #14
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelSammallahti View Post
Replace Affliction with Innate Attack combined with No Wounding, No Knockback, and either Side Effects or Symptoms. :)
No Wounding doesn't work with Symptoms -- Symptoms occur when HP or FP loss exceeds a threshold and end when HP or FP recover, and No Wounding specifies no HP or FP loss (Symptoms refers to damage, not wounding, which is incorrect terminology, but it doesn't make sense unless it means wounding).

Personally, I'd change Symptoms to be full hp, 1/2 hp, 1/3 hp, instead of 2/3, 1/2, 1/3, but that's just because of obnoxious numbers.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:23 PM   #15
Refplace

Quote:
Then I guess I don't understand the point of changing the base cost.
Note that I was not asking about changing the base cost, in fact because of theses issurd.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:25 PM   #16
Rasputin

Quote:
A Heart Attack Affliction might legitimately be worth 40 points, but Heart Attack HT-1 probably isn't at 80.
Attribute penalty HT -1 is +10%, so having the Heart Attack Affliction as a Follow-Up to the HT penalty one is a grand total of 51 points.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:44 PM   #17
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Attribute penalty HT -1 is +10%, so having the Heart Attack Affliction as a Follow-Up to the HT penalty one is a grand total of 51 points.
To be honest, I always found Followup and Symptoms to be one of the more complicated Powers builds.

Ok since we have wandered afield, let me ask some other questions.
1) Should the Resistance penalty be the same regardless of the effect or not?
2) If it should be the same what is a good value? I suggested 5 or 10 points in my opening post. A fixed cost is easily made by using an enhancement or saying modifiers do not apply to levels after the first.
3) If the cost should be adjusted based on other effects (and Armor Piercing on different levels of Innate Attack is an example of this) then adjusting the base vale is the simplest change.
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 01-03-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:05 PM   #18
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
The +10% enhancement your suggesting would mean 1 point per -1 to Resist, way too cheap.
Well, again, compare it to the Resitible limitation. Say you put that on a Fatigue attack. That initially puts it at HT-5 to resist, and keeps it at 10 points. Then, effectively every +2 to the roll to resist gives you 1 point. So, I'd argue, that's kinda parallel. It shouldn't cost significantly more points to make an already-resistible attack harder to resist than it does to increase the resistance on an attack you're making resistible. I'd say that, if you're afflicting something that's really worth only 10 points, +1 point per -1 to resist it does seem fair.

Quote:
Sorry, I dont understand how this addresses the leveled cost issue.
Apologies, I was getting into the discussion Anthony started, about making Affliction have different base costs based on effect. If you'd rather not have that discussion in this thread, fair enough. I'll start a new one.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:48 AM   #19
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
To be honest, I always found Followup and Symptoms to be one of the more complicated Powers builds.
Which isn’t my point. My real point is that I can build an Affliction that is effectively two levels of the Heart Attack Affliction at a much lower point cost. Instead of having Affliction be a leveled trait, it would make more sense to have the penalty for resistance be a leveled Enhancement.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:36 AM   #20
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Which isn’t my point. My real point is that I can build an Affliction that is effectively two levels of the Heart Attack Affliction at a much lower point cost. Instead of having Affliction be a leveled trait, it would make more sense to have the penalty for resistance be a leveled Enhancement.
Ok then.
So your idea is to adjust the base cost according to what it can do and apply an enhancement on that to lower resistance?
By adjusting the base cost instead of stacking enhancements lowering resistance for a stun is cheaper than retching or a heart attack. Also range or other modifiers are likewise more expensive.
I can see some good things about that approach, though it could get prohibitively expensive for say a Malediction or area attack.
My GURPS Wiki entries

Tags
afflictions, house rules