Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-09-2018, 03:37 PM   #1
Nose66

Default [Thaumaturgy: Sorcery] How do I create an "Identify Magic Item" spell?

I am a long time GURPS player, but first time GURPS GM. My world is loosely based on the world of the Belgariad, where "willpower" is the basis of any magical ability.

After careful studying and much research, I decided that [Thaumaturgy: Sorcery] was the closest to the style of magic that I wanted to use (RTM was just TOO much work for me, since I already understood Powers).

So far things are going well... the characters encountered the god UL, who granted them 1 level of Sorcerous Empowerment so that they could join in the "great game". Following in the example of the other magic systems, they can tell when items are magical, but they have no way of knowing what they do (beyond wild experimentation).

I would like to create an NPC that can help them identify magic items, and maybe even teach them how to do it themselves.

The best I could come up with is to use "From Skills to Advantages” Pyramid #3/44: Alternate GURPS II, "Eye for the Arcane": Unusual Training (Thaumatology, Only to recognize magic on sight, always rolled in secret) [1] + Thaumatology, (VH) IQ [8], and modify the limitation to "Only identify properties of permanent magic items after sufficient study time", and then package that as a Sorcery spell as per the [Thaumaturgy: Sorcery] rules.

I wanted the character to be able to study a magic item for a while, cast the spell once (for 1 FP) and then get some information based on their INT roll.

Thoughts, suggestions?
Nose66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:42 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: [Thaumaturgy: Sorcery] How do I create an "Identify Magic Item" spell?

Detect with Analyze, Tweak with modifiers to taste.
Immediate Prep Required could be used to represent study time.
Requires Skill Roll to need Thaumatology to understand what its abilities are.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:45 AM   #3
Anaraxes

Default Re: [Thaumaturgy: Sorcery] How do I create an "Identify Magic Item" spell?

Not much to add to Refplace's suggestion, so here's another angle that might appeal -- start with Psychometry. Rather than analyzing the enchantment to find out what it does, you get a sense of or perhaps visions of the item's use in the past, and a psychic feel for emtions around it (so, good/evil/etc).

What feel are you going for? Is magic in this setting more mystical, or more a studied discipline (applied mana physics)?
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:41 AM   #4
Nose66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
What feel are you going for? Is magic in this setting more mystical, or more a studied discipline (applied mana physics)?
Definitely more mystical. Magic is new to the characters. The only "magicians" they have ever seen before are stage magicians and slight of hand tricks.

I wasn't sure because Psychometry [B78] says near the end:

Quote:
No matter how well you roll, you cannot detect magic, spirits, etc. Still, a magic item, ghostly haunt, or ritual site is likely to have an emotionally charged history, giving strong impressions.
Fortunately, Psychometry (20) and Detect (magic: 10 points; Analyzing +100%) have similar costs... so I think I have my answer.

Anaraxes, I like the Psychometric effect that you described. It goes well with the sense of wonder they are experiencing because of their newly found powers, but I will probably build the spell using Detect, and as their skill increases, they will get more and better information.

Thank you both!

P.S. My friend suggested that I post on the forums... and he was right! You guys are fantastic!
Nose66 is offline   Reply With Quote