Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-26-2018, 09:02 AM   #1
xandarr2000

Default Looking for members of Colorado GURPS board

Hi there, I was trying to find local GURPS games in Colorado area. I found a message board (http://www.denvergurps.com/forum/) that appears fairly active for GURPS gamers in Colorado but it appears to not be open for new members to join. I am hoping maybe just maybe members of this group check in here on the SJ Games forums. I have been roleplaying since 1982, but majority of my experience has been with D&D, MERP, Rolemaster and Runequest. GURPS has always eluded me simply due to not having the time to sit down and properly absorb the rules, something that I am rectifying currently due to being retired now. I am hoping to actually find a game to be a player in for awhile before once more resuming my normal position behind the screen.

This is mainly to both learn the system (I have minor brain damage from Multiple Sclerosis that makes intake of new information challenging and generally requires me to DO something several times in order to retain it) and to meet other long time GURPS players that can perhaps point me in the right direction for some of the past products as well.

Thanks for any information!
xandarr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:24 AM   #2
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: Looking for members of Colorado GURPS board

Welcome to Denver.

Hey, I'm one of the members of the Denver GURPS Forum. As are Gold & Appel, Inc and TSHiggins.

Gold & Appel, Inc is also one of the moderators of that fora so you'll probably want to reach out to him.

We had a huge problem with spambots joining up and the owner of the board had to lock down registration.

Most of my gaming now takes place on-line via Discord and TableTop Simulator as I have gamers here in Denver, New Mexico and Florida now.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:49 PM   #3
xandarr2000

Ahh I am up in the tri-town area in between Denver and Boulder and Fort Collins. I looked all over the forum and could not find any way to contact the owner of the forum. No one had an active email link, which viewing the aforementioned spambot situation makes a lot more sense.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:07 PM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

This is tshiggins campaign report here; Facets.

You can pm him and G&AI through their profiles.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:48 AM   #5
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

I'm out in Aurora, so way south of you. TSHiggins and Gold & Appel Inc are in Denver, proper. I'm not sure of anyone in the Boulder/Fort Collins area.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:31 PM   #6
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
I'm out in Aurora, so way south of you. TSHiggins and Gold & Appel Inc are in Denver, proper. I'm not sure of anyone in the Boulder/Fort Collins area.
I'm in Denver's Capitol Hill neighborhood, which is not a bad drive and easily accessible. It's not inconsequential, though.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:43 AM   #7
Dammann

I’m in Ft Collins. There are at least a couple groups up here, and far more players than GMs. I never have too much trouble finding players, but finding a game...

I think I registered for that forum, but I have had so much luck finding players, I have never been active on the forum.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:11 PM   #8
xandarr2000

This is a total gear shift for me. I have run D&D for a very very long time. I have owned various GURPS editions, but have had a lot of difficulties fielding a group. Part of this was due to my being in the military for a large portion of those years, now its just location honestly, and I am slightly handicapped which limits how safe I feel driving. Denver or Ft Collins is not bad drives, even Aurora for that matter. Colorado Springs is a bit too far as is Parker.

I spend a ton of time at Black & Read in Arvada which has a wonderful used GURPS selection. In the end, for many reasons, I am done supporting WotC because of their numerous decisions over the last couple of years that have really hurt small brick and mortar stores. So, I decided to just cut ties entirely, which now has me transferring a fantasy world with 32 years of history tied to it slowly over to GURPS. Since a lot of the creatures are customized to the setting that makes it especially important I get the nuts and bolts down. Just transferring characters from my home campaign over to GURPS has been pretty challenging.

I had to choose between two systems Hackmaster new edition versus GURPS. In the end, the idea one set of rules could be applied to anything won out. Now, I just have to work past my own mental limitations which are impeded by a brain injury from MS. My long term memory is great but my short term for intake and retention is the part that is wonky. I have been working with the VA to develop learning strategies to combat this, but man learning GURPS is a monumental task.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:17 PM   #9
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandarr2000 View Post
Just transferring characters from my home campaign over to GURPS has been pretty challenging.

I had to choose between two systems Hackmaster new edition versus GURPS. In the end, the idea one set of rules could be applied to anything won out. Now, I just have to work past my own mental limitations which are impeded by a brain injury from MS. My long term memory is great but my short term for intake and retention is the part that is wonky. I have been working with the VA to develop learning strategies to combat this, but man learning GURPS is a monumental task.
If you need help a lot of conversions have been done and many are willing to help when they are familiar with the system being converted.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:07 PM   #10
Gold & Appel Inc

I hope you're enjoying Denver! Sorry that it took me so long to get back to you about this. It was because, ironically for this thread, I have moved away from Denver for various reasons. This will hopefully be temporary, and we have done at least one game in which a player was telepresent (the Cyberpunk one, fittingly). I enjoy this group very much because we have multiple people who can and will GM, so everybody gets to play, too. To get registrations unlocked for a few minutes, log on to our forum as a guest and PM Christopher.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote