Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 11-06-2021, 03:32 AM   #1
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Double Drum Arena Playmat Now Funding

Our first 4' x 6' playmat for Car Wars Sixth Edition is the Double Drum, upgraded and reformatted to fit the new edition's needs. This oversized playmat is on Indiegogo.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/c...-arena-playmat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Double Drum Playmat Indiegogo header.jpg (59.6 KB, 78 views)
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 06:56 AM   #2
beetle496

Default Re: Double Drum Arena Playmat Now Funding

Love it! And a good choice for a first expansion!

Are IndieGoGo and KickStarter competitors the same market space?

I am sorry to say, I am not sure I will be able to get on board with only the ten day notice, but good to see these happening!
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 02:28 PM   #3
kbs666

Unfortunately this is a bad time of year, and a bad year, for a short notice campaign. I wish you all the best on it.
kbs666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 02:56 PM   #4
HeatDeath

Kickstarter and Indiegogo are both crowdfunding platforms, yes.

The biggest difference for backers on an SJG campaign is that IGG bills you immediately, and, with "Fixed goal" campaigns like this one, they will refund you if the campaign doesn't fund. As opposed to KS, where they only bill you at the end of the campaign period if there were enough pledges.

SJG IGG campaigns tend not to use stretch goals or add-ons, so they might feel a little less "dramatic" in the home stretch.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 04:52 PM   #5
Sam Mitschke
Chief Creative Officer

@beetle496

FIRST expansion?! Whaaaaaat?!

We released multiple years' worth of expansions all at once for the Kickstarter! This is more like the 14th!

Minis Set 1
Minis Set 2
Minis Set 3
Minis Set 4
Armory Pack
Linked Weapons Pack
Crew Pack
Dropped Weapons Pack
Uncle Al's Upgrade Pack
Road Tiles
Playmats
Vehicle Guide
Companion Book (just announced)

Whaaaaaaat?!

;-)
Sam Mitschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 07:22 PM   #6
kbs666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Mitschke View Post
@beetle496

FIRST expansion?! Whaaaaaat?!

We released multiple years' worth of expansions all at once for the Kickstarter! This is more like the 14th!

Minis Set 1
Minis Set 2
Minis Set 3
Minis Set 4
Armory Pack
Linked Weapons Pack
Crew Pack
Dropped Weapons Pack
Uncle Al's Upgrade Pack
Road Tiles
Playmats
Vehicle Guide
Companion Book (just announced)

Whaaaaaaat?!

;-)
But no Uncle Schmalberts. I want my grilled cheese dropper.

OK, I really want the photon torpedo launcher but for purposes of plausible deniability with my future opponents I must claim it is all about the grilled cheeses.
kbs666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 10:41 PM   #7
JimTullis

At least this art is printed squarely on the mat and it doesn't need to line up with any other mats.

I just found out today that almost none of the art on the 3 mats from the Kickstarter actually aligns in any significant way. The only match-up I could get to work were Mats 2 and 3 match if you lay 2 out first and then match the two roads up so that Mat 3 is to the right and both have the logo on the lower right.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:57 AM   #8
beetle496

Thank you @Sam_Mitschke for bringing this wonderful game into the world!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Mitschke View Post
We released multiple years' worth of expansions all at once for the Kickstarter!
The KS was huge! But I don’t feel like anything available when the KS completed (i.e. add-ons via Backer Kit) counts as an “expansion”. I know I got a great value, but I am still feeling a little sour about the Player Record Sheets including cards that I do not have. You joke about there being 13 expansions when, despite all that I have, my game does not feel quite complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
I just found out today that almost none of the art on the 3 mats from the Kickstarter actually aligns in any significant way.
From another thread, I understand your mat to have a printing error, but I do not think your statement immediately above is correct. The mats are designed to align only one side, but that is all I was expecting and I think it’s fine. I will confess that it took me a few minutes (and with a friend’s help) to figure out how to line up my two mats. Physically, I am having trouble manipulating them, so I think a 4'x6' would be too intimidating for me.

Please see this illustration of the Car Wars Geomorphing Playmats.

Last edited by beetle496; 11-07-2021 at 09:22 AM. Reason: rewrite
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 09:59 AM   #9
JimTullis

Beetle,

I tried to make the bottom right three-mat layout from the "Geomorphing" graphic from the June 16th Daily Illuminator. I lined up the mats in 1-2-3 order with the Logos in the lower right corners as shown on the graphic. Mats 2 & 3 line up ok. (That's the only place any pavement will line up. The only other alignment i can make look good is to align the non-paved sides of Mats 2 & 3.) But in order to get the "crosswalk" graphics to line up between Mats 1 & 2, Mat 2 has to be shifted down about an inch & a half. The whites on Mat 2 are also way brighter than on either of the other mats.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...106_144259.jpg

Also, the "crosswalk" graphic on the left side of Mat 1 doesn't seem to be able to be visually aligned to the "crosswalk" from either of the other mats. I don't think it was designed to which is disappointing.

I believe 90 percent of the problem is caused my not placing the Parking Lot graphic squarely on the mat. They tried for a slightly skewed graphic, making everything else very difficult to arrange properly.

Last edited by JimTullis; 11-07-2021 at 11:12 AM.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 11:04 AM   #10
Parody

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
(Edit: This was fixed.) Your link's URL doesn't work. It has "..." in it, which is probably not intended.

ObTopic: I'll point out that the campaign states that the playmat is bigger than the original. While true physically, in terms of scale the arena is smaller than before.

Last edited by Parody; 11-07-2021 at 01:36 PM. Reason: The broken link was fixed.
Parody is offline   Reply With Quote