Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-20-2014, 05:56 PM   #631
Clipper

Default Re: Member House Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlus View Post
Winning:
You CANNOT sneak a victory, you must declare it your winning level or not when it arises, and you must wait until each player admits defeat for the combat to resolve. This isn't very munchkiny but it does allow for some of the most intense stand off's in my gaming experiences.
Each player admitting that they can't stop you is the normal rule for any combat. And I always play with the 'for the win' announcement too, even though it isn't absolutely required.

Quote:
Bard:
They cannot keep attempt to enthrall the same person twice in a turn if it failed the first time, they must choose a new target.
This is the standard rule for Bard, not a house rule. The text says you can only select 'another rival' each time until you run out of 'opponents', which means you can never try to Enthrall the same player twice in the same combat.

Quote:
Hirelings:
The normal Hireling card may use any item regardless of restrictions (aside from gender). Hirelings that are class specific or unique do not apply to this rule and must follow their own card rulings.
I'm not sure what you are changing with this rule. The standard rules are actually pretty much the same as yours (although slightly more forgiving). The cards named Hireling from Munchkin, Munchkin 3, Munchkin Pathfinder and Munchkin Legends can carry any Item (except Steeds as they carry themselves) regardless of restriction, even if they don't have enough hands (e.g. the Three-Handed Sword) or are the wrong gender. You can think of them to be sort of like a Cheat! card that has a +1 Bonus. The Class/Race Hirelings and Comrades do have restrictions which must be followed (and gender does count), as it seems you are already following.

Quote:
Dungeons:
After 3 full rounds from when a dungeon was opened it will close and another will be drawn. This will prevent people from keeping out the good dungeons all game. BUT a player may choose to discard 3 cards from their hand to keep a dungeon in play for another 3 full rounds too. Aside from that all other rulings for the dungeons are the same.
You do know that any player could discard four cards from their hand to play a new Dungeon and optionally discard an existing one, right? Your rule seems to involve a lot of house-keeping. How are you keeping track of the turns left?

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>Epic Munchkin Rules<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Kicking down the Door:
You kick two down in the order they are drawn. So if a curse is drawn first it hits then the next card happens automatically. Enhancers that are kicked down with monsters APPLY to the monster kicked down.
This seems like the standard Epic rules. The only difference is the standard Epic rules have the Curses hit you before you enter combat and you can choose the order if there are two Curses. What does your change here actually address?

Quote:
GUAL cards and selling:
They can be used from 1-9, and 11-17. From 17 to 18 you must also be won with a combat.
So what you are saying is you are simply extending the winning levels rule of killing monsters (usually applying to Levels 19 and 20) to cover both Levels 10 and 18 as well? Is there a specific reason you make 10 harder to get? It would certainly give players more incentive to use GUALs and not to bother sending players below the 10 boundary if you didn't add this restriction.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:17 PM   #632
Atlus

I'm sorry I'm new to forums so I don't know how to quote so I'll just stick with numbering what you said Clipper.

1. The rule for most combats is actually to count to 2.6 which although was probably a joke in the rules my group does follow by counting to 2.6 out loud. I was implying that for the winning level someone cannot just count to that and instead must wait until everyone concedes.

2. You are definitely right about this. (I was doing most of the writing off the top of my head, forgive me)

3. I know that the rulings for Hirelings have changed since they were originally made but the first Hireling card and the one in set 2 didn't originally have that rule change, I forgot to mention that it was no longer a house rule for that. Thank you, I'll edit that in a bit.

4. I have accumulated A LOT of d6's from munchkins over the years so I put a d6 on each new dungeon and I felt like 4 was just too much so I lowered it. It makes it easier for people to remember since it follows the discard 3 on most cards (personal taste I guess). I also did this to make it so people can fight to keep dungeons in play too.

5. Actually no, it's similar but not quite the same, I should have elaborated more on it. The normal being if you kick the two doors down, curses hit first no matter what, my house rule makes it so if the monster was kicked first the fight must resolve then the curse takes effect or vice versa if the curse was kicked first then the monster. And the enhancer rule is the same yes, I guess I just rambled on and have been making mistakes all post.

6. I just looked over the most updated version of the epic rules that are available and you are right about the 9 to 10. I guess I was a bit outdated there because I stopped looking at the original epic rules about 5 years ago. Or I just misread the rules the entire time and it's a 'my bad' situation. Either way thanks, I still think I would keep it in my game however just because it's like initiation to hit epic and my friends are just so used to it but I'll discuss this with them later. And the reason that level 18 must also get a level to is that there is almost no way to get 3 levels from a combat in my version of epic so a player cannot forgo 19 and just hit 20 by just using other means to get to 18. It's just a way to lengthen the game is all, personal taste really. I personally like to make the late game as unforgiving as possible.

Overall thanks for the info, I'm always up for changing my Epic rules or fixing them according the real rulings. It's generally something I've been trying to keep refining over the years.
Bites 1 & 2
Zombies 1-3
Cthulu 1-4
Impossible
Legends
Pathfinder
Conan
Apocalypse
Space 1 &2
The Good/The Bad 1 & 2
Atlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:24 PM   #633
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlus View Post
I'm sorry I'm new to forums so I don't know how to quote so I'll just stick with numbering what you said Clipper.
Just hit the quote button at the bottom-right. You'll see the quote tags and can add them to the rest of the post to split parts of it up.

Quote:
1. The rule for most combats is actually to count to 2.6 which although was probably a joke in the rules my group does follow by counting to 2.6 out loud. I was implying that for the winning level someone cannot just count to that and instead must wait until everyone concedes.
Yes, that number is just a joke and is not meant to be taken as the exact amount of time. You'll notice that Munchkin Pathfinder uses 3.75 seconds instead. In any case, the rule part is you provide 'reasonable time' for others to interfere and it's up to your group how you define the term, but whatever you choose, it should be clear that nobody wants to stop you before continuing.

Quote:
5. Actually no, it's similar but not quite the same, I should have elaborated more on it. The normal being if you kick the two doors down, curses hit first no matter what, my house rule makes it so if the monster was kicked first the fight must resolve then the curse takes effect or vice versa if the curse was kicked first then the monster. And the enhancer rule is the same yes, I guess I just rambled on and have been making mistakes all post.
So a Curse drawn second just sits there, and you know what it is and that it will hit you immediately after you kill or Run Away from the monster? And what happens if you die due to the combat? It seems a bit at odds to your other rules, which all up the tension of Epic battles, whereas this one gives the player a break and some extra information they will be able to plan for.

Quote:
Overall thanks for the info, I'm always up for changing my Epic rules or fixing them according the real rulings. It's generally something I've been trying to keep refining over the years.
No problem. I like to help out and noticed those few oddities, so they seemed worth pointing out. Your changes do address the issues you have quite well, without going overboard, so they were an interesting read.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:52 PM   #634
Atlus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post

So a Curse drawn second just sits there, and you know what it is and that it will hit you immediately after you kill or Run Away from the monster? And what happens if you die due to the combat? It seems a bit at odds to your other rules, which all up the tension of Epic battles, whereas this one gives the player a break and some extra information they will be able to plan for.
This rule was implemented just because with the actual ruling makes traps/curses/disasters always hit first and there is no way to change your combat strength once hit before the fight so if you were hit with a very crippling curse it could make you lose the battle before it began which is perfectly fine but I thought I'd throw my group a bone and simplify the order for kicking down to what comes first takes precedence over all else and continues to the next card and so on. So it could be forgiving if you are lucky enough to draw a curse second or it'll just be the same as the normal rules the rest of the time. And death from the combat will make the curse no longer affect you as well but that is not very often occurring because of the amount of loaded die's or escape assistance players accumulate for the late game but it is possible.

Unfortunately most of my group only know the rules as well as a moderate player would so when I was creating my Epic homebrew version I was inclined to make sure everything was straight forward but still challenging like it should be, but I did like changing the above rule because it gave one piece of mercy to players who got lucky with the draw.
Bites 1 & 2
Zombies 1-3
Cthulu 1-4
Impossible
Legends
Pathfinder
Conan
Apocalypse
Space 1 &2
The Good/The Bad 1 & 2
Atlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:24 PM   #635
Phans

Post updated.

Last edited by Phans; 02-21-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Phans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:58 AM   #636
Da Senzai

We made a rule that says "When you die, you lose one level".

That is because when using standard rules, then when you are at a high level, it is most often an advantage to die, since you get 8 new cards. ( for eksempal; Treasure / go up a level cards to sell for level, and then look for trouble using one of the monsters you just drew from your 8 new cards = you win the game)

It is also kind of stupid, that as a player using normal rules, you are more afraid if monsters that say: Lose 1 or 2 levels, than a monster that says: "You die"
Da Senzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:25 PM   #637
Superfish

Variant Rule (only tried it once so far, but worked pretty well)
(Works best with Munchkin Cthulhu, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work with any other version)
Munchkin Asylum
You're all Mad!
Using the Madnesses from Cthulhu 2 and 3 create a seperate Deck.
At the beginning of the game each player is dealt one of these madnesses.
The game continues as normal, with the following additional rules:

- Switch Someone's Meds -
Whenever you go up a level on your own turn (the level can be from any source) you may nominate one munchkin (even yourself) to play with their medication. The nominated Munchkin rolls a d6 to determine the results from the following table:
  1. Discard all current Madnesses.
  2. Discard 1 Madness (your choice) and draw another.
  3. Swap any Madness(es) with those of the player to your left.
  4. Swap any Madness(es) with those of the player to your right.
  5. Swap any Madness(es) with those of the player who nominated you.
  6. Draw another Madness.
You may nominate one Munchkin per level you earn and may nominate the same Munchkin twice in one turn, resolving each die roll before making the next.

-The Well of Madness is Never Dry -
Discarded Madnesses go back into the Madness Deck. If at any time you are asked to draw the last Madness in the deck then you Must replace the drawn madness with one of your current Madnesses. If you cannot then the player(s) with the most Madnesses must discard 1 (each). (Not sure about this rule, still looking for a good way to stop the well of madness running dry)

Wishing Rings and Sudden Head Blows still act as normal, as well as any Monster effects/Bad Stuff which affect Madnesses

Please test this and tell me what you think :)
Superfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #638
Phans

More house rules have developed. Here they are:

•We’re pretty lax over the maximum amount of cards one can have in their hand.
If excess cards are a problem, Charity is never used unless the player with too many cards wishes to use it. Excess cards are otherwise discarded normally.
•Loaded Die can be played after ANY die roll, not just your own.
•Instant Wall, Hireling, and Rat on a Stick are force escapes and negate any negative effects that transcend escape (Players above level 3 against the Wight Brothers will not lose two levels, etc.).
•Cheat! cards can be carried and traded.
•You cannot play a usable once only (potions, wishing rings, etc.) item direct from your hand; it must first be carried.
•Undead monsters can be played on any other monster without a wandering monster card, even if the other monster is not undead.
•GhoulFiends are undead.
•If you are dealt Divine Intervention, you have three choices:
1. Immediately shuffle it back into the deck and draw a new card.
2. Play it immediately; everyone who was dealt a Cleric class goes up a level.
3. Keep it in your hand. If you choose to keep it, you cannot play it, and you may only discard it to power spells, berserking, curses, etc.

•When the Curse! Income Tax card is drawn or played, it’s Christmas, and everyone draws a treasure; the normal effects of the card are ignored.
•When someone dies, their race, class, item, and hand cards are all reshuffled into the deck; i.e. they lose everything. They draw four door and treasure cards on their next turn. There is no Looting the Body.

We only have the normal Munchkin game. We haven't bought any expansions yet because the default is a lot of fun just by itself.
Phans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:07 PM   #639
Trsevener

Several of the Munchkin Patches have the same rule about reflecting a curse back at the player who played it on you - but the rule does not discuss if a curse or trap is drawn when you open the door.

We came up with two possibilities (depending on how evil we are feeling that night.)

1) You recite the necessary phrase and you reflect the curse back to the discard pile.

2) You recite the necessary phrase and you deflect the curse to the player of your choice.

Indiana MIB available for demos and tournaments. Please check out my Facebook page to see what I am up to.
Trsevener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:42 PM   #640
freakmirror

Default skyrim game

Our group made up a skyrim themed game. We used legends, dragons and gets promoted.
We played normally until level 10. We had to kill a monster to get to 10 but then immediately we had to fight Smog. That was the only way to win. smog stayed until he was beaten. If you lost you started over at 10 and faced Smog immediately. If you ran you went to 9.
It was fun. We used d&d minis also.

Tags
combining different, doors, dummy hand, epic, extras, funny, gambling, gameplay, house rules, multi-deck, munchkin, munchkin zombies, new way to play, rules, rules variant, team, teams, two player, zombie dice