Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-08-2017, 11:14 PM   #1
Tirisilex

Default Chinese Fantasy

I'm working on a Campaign based on Chinese Mythology.. I've been basing my ideas on the movies "League of Gods","Jouney to the West","The Monkey King", and "the Monkey king 2"

It'll be a High magic campaign without much technology. I'm ordering the Martial Arts book and the China book (I believe thats 3rd ed??)

I'm wondering if anyone could suggest another movie for the inspiration of this game.
Tirisilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:40 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Chinese Fantasy

You might want to consider if you want to order GURPS Thaumatology: Chinese Elemental Powers. It has lots of extra chi-based abilities in it. . . .

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:50 AM   #3
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirisilex View Post
... China book (I believe thats 3rd ed??)
It is, but most of the book is history and culture, which doesn't need adaptation. On a quick look, the magic in it will fit into the 4e spells-as-skills system easily.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:49 AM   #4
Phantasm

What time period are you looking at? Shang dynasty would have been bronze age or early iron age, IIRC, while the Boxer Rebellion was 1900CE, both of which are great for fantasy adventuring.

Low-Tech has a number of Chinese weapons described, including a few early firearms the Chinese came up with during (I believe) the Han dynasty.

If you can get hold of it, I also recommend Fantasy Bestiary (which IIRC has not yet been made into a GURPS Classic PDF), which has a number of Chinese dragons (4e stats may be in GURPS Dragons, though I haven't checked to be sure) and other creatures from Chinese myth.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 09-19-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:00 AM   #5
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
What time period are you looking at?
Journey to the West and its derivatives (all the Monkey King properties) are set in and around a sort of fantasy Tang dynasty China.

I might suggest, as a rather lower priority than Martial Arts and Chinese Elemental Magic, Hot Spots: The Silk Road. It's straight-up historical rather than mythical, but it's the real world region in which most of the plot of Journey to the West took place.

GURPS China is, as you note, 3rd edition, so you may need to tweak some effects, but the short catalog of spells are mostly drawn directly from feats Sun Wukong performs in Journey to the West, though I'm speaking here of the book rather than more recent films and TV, which are in many places only loosely based on the original.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:28 AM   #6
sn0wball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirisilex View Post
I'm wondering if anyone could suggest another movie for the inspiration of this game.
Detective Dee seems to be suitable: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2992146/reviews

Also, the great classic A Chinese Ghost Story triology: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093978/?ref_=tt_rec_tti

Lookout for the magic users, their styles and terminology. Donīt leave the house without a Sanskrit Bible!
Old 09-09-2017, 07:52 AM   #7
Daigoro

There are many others, but Zu: Warriors of the Magic Mountain had a lot of high fantasy and powerful magic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NExu5N90K40
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:01 PM   #8
warellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Journey to the West and its derivatives (all the Monkey King properties) are set in and around a sort of fantasy Tang dynasty China.

I might suggest, as a rather lower priority than Martial Arts and Chinese Elemental Magic, Hot Spots: The Silk Road. It's straight-up historical rather than mythical, but it's the real world region in which most of the plot of Journey to the West took place.

GURPS China is, as you note, 3rd edition, so you may need to tweak some effects, but the short catalog of spells are mostly drawn directly from feats Sun Wukong performs in Journey to the West, though I'm speaking here of the book rather than more recent films and TV, which are in many places only loosely based on the original.
When are most wuxia films and shows set you would say?
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #9
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by warellis View Post
Fighting the Manchu is a popular time period. Late 19th and early 20th century has less wild chi powers. Other than that wuxia tends to be set in a time period when China has no contact with the West at all and dates on Western calendars can be ignored.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:29 PM   #10
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by warellis View Post
In my limited experience, most martial arts films are at least implied and often stated to be in the Qing dynasty. The costumes roughly match, tobacco and eyeglasses may be in use, and so on. Wong Fei-Hung is practically a genre unto himself. The ones which aren't tend to carry implications of a more chaotic era, probably between the Han and the Tang. The Three Kingdoms period in particular sees a significant amount of action (most of that points more or less directly at Romance of the Three Kingdoms). Despite it being something of a golden age, I don't see a lot set in the Tang era that isn't drawn from Journey to the West.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote