Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-23-2017, 08:38 AM   #11
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Default Re: [Basic/HT] Shotgun pellets and hit location

The reason I say one hit (as a house rule) is simply as a GMs call to reduce rolls. And as UV points out, if you roll for all of them, it becomes a matter of calculating odds of "free damage" rather than rolling to hit specific locations. For a shotgun blast with, say, 13 to 15 buckshot per pull of the trigger, that's a lot of rolls -- especially if RoF is 2 or 3. This is on an entirely different scale than rolling with each arrow hit.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:43 AM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by safisher View Post
The reason I say one hit (as a house rule) is simply as a GMs call to reduce rolls. And as UV points out, if you roll for all of them, it becomes a matter of calculating odds of "free damage" rather than rolling to hit specific locations. For a shotgun blast with, say, 13 to 15 buckshot per pull of the trigger, that's a lot of rolls -- especially if RoF is 2 or 3. This is on an entirely different scale than rolling with each arrow hit.
Combat loads in GURPS are usually 1×9, of which less than five typically actually hit. If you are shooting with effective skill of 12 for example, odds are you will need only need to worry about two pellets. On the other hand I haven't actually seen a lot of shotguns in use. This may change if I run this six-guns and sorcery game, though.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 08-23-2017 at 08:47 AM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:55 AM   #13
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I haven't actually seen a lot of shotguns in use. This may change if I run this six-guns and sorcery game, though.
You'd probably see double-barreled 10 gages there. I think that would be 2x13 instead of 2 or 3 x9.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:59 AM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
You'd probably see double-barreled 10 gages there. I think that would be 2x13 instead of 2 or 3 x9.
Yeah, although the way Rapid Fire bonuses work, that may not mean that many more hits. I will probably keep rolling for sublocations unless it ends up being ridiculous.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:29 AM   #15
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Combat loads in GURPS are usually 1×9, of which less than five typically actually hit. If you are shooting with effective skill of 12 for example, odds are you will need only need to worry about two pellets. On the other hand I haven't actually seen a lot of shotguns in use. This may change if I run this six-guns and sorcery game, though.
Modern shotgun shells, including 3" and 3.5" 12 gauge, can have 15-18 buckshot. That's a +3 to +4 to hit, rather than a +2. It can become headache to roll for every single pellet. If you automate the rolls and the sub-location rolls, sure, go for it.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote